Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I watched Judge Minty and Dredd on Saturday, which were introduced by John Wagner and a certain Carlos Ezquerra ;)

sheldipez

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 October, 2013, 01:52:06 AM
Highlander. Watched it for the first time in 15 years. Jesus H Christ, what a shite film.

I think the first one has it's moments, the sequels and/or TV stuff is pure shite.

Frank

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 October, 2013, 12:57:17 AM
Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 October, 2013, 12:09:10 AM30 Days of Night  had numerous failings, but the Vampires were exactly how I want my Vamps portrayed in Cinema........Totally evil, and absolutely vicious and in no way do they 'pass for human'....

I agree - I want vampires to be werewolves, too.

The werewolves could fall in love with the vampires.

Hawkmumbler

Highlander. Watched it for the first time in 15 years. Jesus H Christ, what a shite film.
Imfind it shite in a way that is extremely entertaining.mits clearly not very well made, or acted, and doesnt have the most solid script. But you can at least tell there was heart put into it, and unlike some vapid blockbusters that have achieved critical and commercial successe these days that have turned out (unsurprisingly) to be utter drivel, Higlander has something about it that makes it quite a compelling watch. Thes sequels on the other hand.....

Mabs

:lol:

C'mon, it's not that bad! But then again I haven't watched it in years so.....have you watched the anime version - Highlander: The Search for Vengeance? I really enjoyed it. There's some really fun stuff in there and definitely better than the later films. One of my favourite Anime directors was on hand to create it; Yoshiaki Kawajiri.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Serenity.  Now that is how you make a good SF adventure film.  Mr. Abrams please take notes. 

I'm long over my initial viewing's disappointment with the deaths of certain characters (although I still think at least one was a poor decision, especially where there was to be no follow-on series with which to effect a resurrection), and haven't rewatched Firefly in several years, so I was able to sit back and enjoy this without quite as many of the usual geeky niggles.

The plot makes an odd kind of sense and has an actual SF idea underpinning its sundry McGuffins, the sustained manner in which the futuroretrospeak is handled is extremely effective and offsets the sometimes wearing aspects of Whedon's witty banter, the effects, design work and most of the sets are terrific (Serenity herself practically breathing it's so well realised), and while it's hard to believe it now Summer Glau is actually bloody good in this one part. 

I was about to trot out a conclusion about how well Nathan Fillion holds the whole thing together, then I thought I should probably add Chiwetel Ejiofor's sublime and downright original performance, then it occurred to me that Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin were also vital to creating a sense of a crew of individuals, then I felt bad about leaving out the lovely Morena Baccarin, Ron Glass and Jewel Staite, who even if they don't get much to do here  do it very well. 

Then I realised that I was talking about a genuine ensemble cast, working together to convey distinct characters with well-defined relationships and goals, and that is what makes it a really engaging joy to watch.  Great film, shame about the box-office.

Now where have I heard that before.

Theblazeuk

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter isn't shite, I had a lot of fun watching it after a few beers and some aromatic cigarettes.

pictsy

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan  Not all that bad.  Coherent storyline, vast improvement on the effects compared to the previous film, acting is improved but still hammy in places (especially by original cast members).  A lot more flash-bang-wallop in this one but still relatively tame.  It never takes over.

Next up I shall be searching for Spock.  I'm hoping it's like Where's Wally.

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 21 October, 2013, 10:59:37 AM

Probably my favourite Trek movie, interested to see what you make of it.

Mabs

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 October, 2013, 11:02:34 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 21 October, 2013, 10:59:37 AM

Probably my favourite Trek movie, interested to see what you make of it.

I can't remember correctly but is this film the first time we see the Vulcan home planet? I remember being wowed by the scenes as a youngster. The image of a Klingon Bird of Prey entering the red hued vistas of Vulcan is a moment that has seered into my memory. I love The Search for Spock!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

radiator

Action classic Point Break, for the first time in what must be over ten years.

Still great - but quite a lot sillier/unintentionally funnier that I remember. The famous foot chase scene is still a cracker.

Funnily enough, during the scene with the climactic showdown on the beach in 'Australia', I remarked to my girlfriend that it looked a lot like a remote beach we visited in Oregon earlier this year. Cue a quick Google and it turns out that it was the exact same beach. It's in a National Park - the same one where a lot of The Goonies was also filmed, incidentally.

Greg M.

Quote from: Mabs on 21 October, 2013, 11:19:53 AM
I can't remember correctly but is this film the first time we see the Vulcan home planet?

Amok Time.

Dandontdare

Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 12:20:42 AM
50 First Dates  Was looking for something relatively short and easy to watch.  This film fit the bill and was sweet for the most part.  I probably enjoy Wedding Singers more, but I've seen that film plenty of times already.

I was conned into watching that once when I thought I'd be watching The 51st State. There should be a criminal offence of Duping Blokes into watching Romcoms through Misrepresentation.

I rewatched Poltergeist the other night - still my favourite 'spooky' movie of all time (as opposed to full on horror)

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 October, 2013, 11:31:31 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 20 October, 2013, 12:20:42 AM
50 First Dates 

I was conned into watching that once when I thought I'd be watching The 51st State.

Brilliant. 

radiator

QuoteI was conned into watching that once when I thought I'd be watching The 51st State. There should be a criminal offence of Duping Blokes into watching Romcoms through Misrepresentation.

My girlfriend generally has quite good taste in films, but since she found all the awful romcoms available on Netflix I've had to endure some right old shite, including long-forgotten Matthew Perry/Salma Hayek film Fools Rush In - which easily ranks as one of the worst films I have ever seen.

I was wondering, though - suggestions for genuinely good romcoms? They're few and far between, but there must be some gems?

All I can think of is When Harry Met Sally, which is a legit classic movie. Richard Curtis' films and Sleepless in Seattle are tolerable/watchable I suppose. After that I'm a bit stuck. I keep meaning to go back and watch some early Woody Allen films - not sure if they'd count?