Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Grand Budapest Hotel, so damn good.

Keef Monkey

Drinking Buddies, on Netflix. Really, really, really liked this. It's a very naturalistic romanticish drama (with a hint of comedy), seems rare to come across a film about relationships that actually feels like real people in real complicated situations but this nails that completely. Took me back to similar situation I wound up in a few years ago (albeit not with Olivia Wilde sadly), and rang very true. Recommend it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 19 March, 2014, 07:23:28 PM
Grand Budapest Hotel, so damn good.

Just got out of it myself. Bloody wonderful it is indeed. Great performances all round and some hilarious scenes.

"Holy shit you got him!"

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just watched The Keep on Film4. Pretty weird lo-fi 80s horror. About some Nazi's who find a keep in a small Romanian village with treasure and an evil force locked inside. Things don't go so well after that.

I enjoyed it.

Skullmo

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 21 March, 2014, 03:13:38 AM
Just watched The Keep on Film4. Pretty weird lo-fi 80s horror. About some Nazi's who find a keep in a small Romanian village with treasure and an evil force locked inside. Things don't go so well after that.

I enjoyed it.

Ahh an interesting film - Directed by Michael Mann and still not released on dvd I understand. I saw this in the cinema at a special screening and although it has some amazing effects and the end is great I seem to remember there was a scene with a train journey that took about 30 mins and had no impact on the plot.

Apparently is is one of Simon Bisley's favourite films and the monster was a big influence on him.

It's a joke. I was joking.

Tiplodocus

It's Scott Glenn on a boat and motorbike. Sailing passed synth infused sunsets.

I have a soft spot for the film but a recent re-watch made me think less of it. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin Zeal

Saw Watchmen last night for what was I think only the second time since its release. I think the flaws stood out that bit more to me this time as I've definitely changed my already not too high opinion of it. Visually the film is incredible and it looks fantastic throughout. However it just seems very soulless which I guess is a common refrain of Snyder films. The other thing that stood out was the different ending. I don't understand why, having previously been so reverential in following the comic that they would change the end of the film. Also I don't think that setting up Dr Manhattan as the enemy would work in ending the threat of nuclear war. Isn't there still a risk that the USSR would simply say that as he was American and the country's main threat for so long that the USA was still to blame for his actions?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Skullmo on 21 March, 2014, 05:46:51 AM

I enjoyed it.

Ahh an interesting film - Directed by Michael Mann and still not released on dvd I understand. I saw this in the cinema at a special screening and although it has some amazing effects and the end is great I seem to remember there was a scene with a train journey that took about 30 mins and had no impact on the plot.

Apparently is is one of Simon Bisley's favourite films and the monster was a big influence on him.

Still haven't seen this movie, worked with the composer Edgar on our last project so tried to hunt down as much of his stuff as possible beforehand and just couldn't find this anywhere. Surely something that's ripe for a deluxe blu-ray re-issue at some point?

Skullmo

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 21 March, 2014, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 21 March, 2014, 05:46:51 AM

I enjoyed it.

Still haven't seen this movie, worked with the composer Edgar on our last project so tried to hunt down as much of his stuff as possible beforehand and just couldn't find this anywhere. Surely something that's ripe for a deluxe blu-ray re-issue at some point?

Youtube will be your pal tonight - the whole film ripped from laserdisc is on there :)
It's a joke. I was joking.

Frank

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 21 March, 2014, 01:58:25 PM
Saw Watchmen last night ... I don't understand why, having previously been so reverential in following the comic that they would change the end of the film

The special effects budget wasn't the only reason Watchmen was considered unfilmable. Believably setting up the island, psychic brain theft, and all the ways those things resonate with the larger narrative would have taken up the entire running time of most films. Keeping the resolution within the bounds of the main cast makes for a tighter story, and works much better with the established themes of the film as well. That said, I prefer the glorious silliness of Moore's ending, and the film was total gash.

Ghost MacRoth

I enjoyed it.

Hated that film so much when I first saw it, it's based on a cracking book, and all the twists of said book are utterly missed in the film.  Cracking cast list, so I couldn't believe how bad I found it! 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JamesC

The Keep is high on my list of films that deserve a remake.
It gets a lot wrong and has aged badly but the setting and premise are fantastic.

Dash Decent

Watched Dredd this morning when the missus took the kids to swimming lessons.  Enjoyed it.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

radiator

Quote from: Dash Decent on 22 March, 2014, 08:38:50 AM
Watched Dredd this morning when the missus took the kids to swimming lessons.  Enjoyed it.

I haven't heard of that, what's it about?

Mabs

Prometheus....again. For all its faults there's one thing most will agree on - it looks bloody stunning. The CGI work here is much better (and realistic) than Avatar. At times the latter looks like a CGI cartoon.

Those opening moments on Prometheus look breath-taking, giving it a chilling, unearthly look. How magnificent is the shot of the Engineer mothership ascending into heaven while the robed Engineer kills himself by consuming marmite?

Such a shame it was let down by some horrendous dialogue and characterisation. There's a really good film in there somewhere.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie