Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

WNUF Halloween Special - Found footage film done right. The set up is that someone taped the show when it was first broadcast in the 80's and this is a copy of that tape. No titles, local news stories and even has fake 80's style ads inbetween. The main show is about an anchorman, priest and some psychics going into an old, abandoned house which has a grusome history.

Not great as horror or comedy but did entertain just by being really well faked. I'm gonna watch it again at halloween with the kids and tell them its real  :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Satanist on 26 January, 2015, 01:34:54 PM
WNUF Halloween Special - Found footage film done right. The set up is that someone taped the show when it was first broadcast in the 80's and this is a copy of that tape. No titles, local news stories and even has fake 80's style ads inbetween. The main show is about an anchorman, priest and some psychics going into an old, abandoned house which has a grusome history.

Not great as horror or comedy but did entertain just by being really well faked. I'm gonna watch it again at halloween with the kids and tell them its real  :lol:

Reading that description gave me flashbacks to watching BBC's Ghostwatch as a kid and thinking the whole thing was real. Traumatic.

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 January, 2015, 01:39:32 PM

Reading that description gave me flashbacks to watching BBC's Ghostwatch as a kid and thinking the whole thing was real. Traumatic.

Just thought the exact same thing, I was a huge fan of Ghostwatch and this sounds quite similar.
Cheers Satanist, I'll look this up.

Theblazeuk

Ghostwatch DVD = best purchase I have ever made of unseen material.

Gladwin

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Just watched it for the first time. Such a good film, fantastic acting, direction, and atmosphere. Would highly recommend.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Now You See Me on Friday. It was okay. Too full of its fancy nonsense for what you knew would be a contrived twist.

The Bay on Saturday. It was okay-er. For a film about a small town being taken over by mutant parasites growing from chickenshit (literally) and radioactive waste it was surprisingly sterile.
Lock up your spoons!

Spikes

The Darkest Hour.
A load of cobblers. What was Anderson thinking?

Awful.

radiator

Frank, which just appeared on US Netflix.

Wasn't sure to start with - thought the tone was a bit too self-conciously eccentric, but ended up really enjoying it. The ending really got to me, which I wasn't expecting. Great music too, I've had the songs stuck in my head ever since.

4/5.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2015, 05:51:15 PM
Frank, which just appeared on US Netflix.

Wasn't sure to start with - thought the tone was a bit too self-conciously eccentric, but ended up really enjoying it. The ending really got to me, which I wasn't expecting. Great music too, I've had the songs stuck in my head ever since.

4/5.

Ha, that last one (I Love You All?) is a real earworm. I was singing it for days afterward.
@jamesfeistdraws

Definitely Not Mister Pops

WNUF Halloween Special - Found footage film done right...

Not great as horror or comedy but did entertain just by being really well faked.

Yeah I'd agree with that. I seem to remember it's done like a pirate tape, and it fast-forwards through bits like the weather and sports segments.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

QuoteHa, that last one (I Love You All?) is a real earworm. I was singing it for days afterward.

Yep, it's a real spine-tingling moment when he [spoiler]gradually transitions form singing stream-of-conciousness observations to declaring his feelings like that[/spoiler], very powerful moment and a lovely piece of music.

I've heard some pretty unsavoury things about Fassbender himself, but man if he isn't a damn good actor.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2015, 06:45:34 PM
QuoteHa, that last one (I Love You All?) is a real earworm. I was singing it for days afterward.

Yep, it's a real spine-tingling moment when he [spoiler]gradually transitions form singing stream-of-conciousness observations to declaring his feelings like that[/spoiler], very powerful moment and a lovely piece of music.

I've heard some pretty unsavoury things about Fassbender himself, but man if he isn't a damn good actor.

It's an amazing moment, I love it. It does start out quite wacky but I thought it handled its tonal shifts brilliantly. Really funny in places, uplifting and touching in others and really heartbreaking at times. Possibly me over-reading into it, but thought it had some interesting and inspiring things to say about creativity - where it comes from and what it should be used for. One of those films that just clicked with me in a way that I can imagine me watching it regularly for years to come.

Colin YNWA

Watched Aguirre Wrath of God last night. I'd never seen it before but its reputation meant I thought I'd give it a go when I saw it was on Film 4. After the first wonderful openning shots of the Spanish conquistador's decent from the Anders I really struggled with it for the longest time (well about 45 minutes actually). It just didn't seem to be doing anything at all original. Klaus Kinski's quiet menace as Aguirre (having read a little about it I'm very pleased director Herzog won the reported fights with Kinski about how the role should be played) kept me with it. By the end I was really glad I did. The last 30 minutes brought it all into sharp focus.

To a degree I think it suffers from the amount of influence its had and while it may have been original and innovative at the time its study of obsession, greed, a decent into maddness and the humanisation of power and conquest felt a little tired viewed through the prism of whats come after, which of course is unfair. It still turns out to be a very worthwhile view though and while to me not the absolute classic its said to be I'm glad I've seen it.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 27 January, 2015, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2015, 06:45:34 PM

It's an amazing moment, I love it. It does start out quite wacky but I thought it handled its tonal shifts brilliantly. Really funny in places, uplifting and touching in others and really heartbreaking at times. Possibly me over-reading into it, but thought it had some interesting and inspiring things to say about creativity - where it comes from and what it should be used for. One of those films that just clicked with me in a way that I can imagine me watching it regularly for years to come.

Yes, I was thinking it over quite a bit for a day or two after. I think the general point it was making was that it's wrong and irresponsible to glamourise mental illness, or think that it's a prerequisite of creativity. I think. The scene at the end where John is talking to Frank's parents is key. I'm sure there's a lot more to it though.

I burst out laughing when they [spoiler]cut 'Frank' down after an apparent suicide, then the camera pans round and you see him standing there, assuming it was a wacky prank or something[/spoiler], then it very suddenly dawned on me what was going on, and I felt awful for laughing.  :-[

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 January, 2015, 06:38:20 AM
To a degree I think it suffers from the amount of influence its had and while it may have been original and innovative at the time its study of obsession, greed, a decent into maddness and the humanisation of power and conquest felt a little tired viewed through the prism of whats come after, which of course is unfair. It still turns out to be a very worthwhile view though and while to me not the absolute classic its said to be I'm glad I've seen it.

This is the problem with all influential things really - their very stature tends to deflate and topple them for expectant viewers. It's almost impossible to go into them without assumptions - but there it was your very understanding that it was "meant" to be worth watching that kept you watching. I think Herzog is some manner of ancient god walking around in the present day like it ain't no thing so I tend to go into all of his films with like... this grin of glee. I tend to prefer his non-fiction things generally though. Mostly because you get to hear him babbling on. Life is far weirder and wilder than any film - and his docs always leave you feeling a slight pang of existential angst which you just can't get from anything else.