Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Spoilerific if you aren't up to date with yer Marvel movies, but here's a simple summary of how it all ties together.

Theblazeuk

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 August, 2015, 09:56:38 PM
The Iron Giant

"SUPERMAN"

:'(

:'( One of the greatest animated films of all time IMO

Professor Bear

Also a huge box office bomb, surprisingly.

shaolin_monkey

Hobbit 3: Five Armies.

Oh god, once they'd killed Smaug the rest was interminable. Two hours of completely unnecessary stuff that had nowt to do with the original book. The masochist in me made me watch it all the way to the end. Still, nice to see Billy Connolly getting some work, eh?

Greg M.

Straw Dogs (1971)

Potential musings on the nature of masculinity were eclipsed by the realisation that Dustin Hoffman's most irritating tormentor - the rat-catcher with the silly laugh - is a young Bishop Brennan from Father Ted! Sadly, at no point is he kicked up the arse. Great cast, very shades-of-grey set of characters, proper 70s nastiness. Very much a horror movie, though not always classed as such.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 23 August, 2015, 06:39:42 PM
Straw Dogs (1971)

Potential musings on the nature of masculinity were eclipsed by the realisation that Dustin Hoffman's most irritating tormentor - the rat-catcher with the silly laugh - is a young Bishop Brennan from Father Ted! Sadly, at no point is he kicked up the arse. Great cast, very shades-of-grey set of characters, proper 70s nastiness. Very much a horror movie, though not always classed as such.

I have been perpetually disappointed that Blackblood isn't in this. (Hssssss).

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 August, 2015, 05:54:11 PM
Hobbit 3: Five Armies.

Oh god, once they'd killed Smaug the rest was interminable. Two hours of completely unnecessary stuff that had nowt to do with the original book. The masochist in me made me watch it all the way to the end. Still, nice to see Billy Connolly getting some work, eh?

Only read the book once and was determined to read it before any of these Hobbit films were shown. Speaking of the huge battle scene. Still scratching my head over that part where the Wood-Elves leap over the front line of dwarves and then the others behind them, and then once again and that's it. I think if that was any more  consistant. There might have been too much of a strain on the budget. Otherwise repeating that until reaching a more significant plateu would have been a more welcome sight.

Buttonman

Mardroid

Fight Club

Last night.

I've seen it a few times but I always enjoy it. And I took note of thingsI hadn't noticed before. Quick flashes of film here and there akin to the way Tyler would splice stuff into cinema reels. I can never catch what the frames are, which is just as well when I googled that last flashed (in more ways than one) image.

An interesting, dark, funny, thought provoking film.

To the Devil a Daughter

Hammer Horror with the late great Christopher Lee as an evil priest. And an American chap as the main hero, with a face I recognise but I can't remember where I've seen him. And a cute broken nun.

Basically a story about a Satanic cult trying to bring about the avatar of their dark God Ashtoreth in a rather convoluted nonsensical way. I found it more amusing than creepy, but not unenjoyable.

[spoiler]I'm not really a fan of gratuitous sex scenes but the Satanic orgy was so over the top with its kinky nonsense, it was very funny.[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Watched a couple at the weekend -

Haven't really ever heard anyone say anything at all about Oblivion so assumed it was a total dud, but actually really enjoyed it. It looks absolutely tremendous, the vistas and in particular the set-piece in the library just looked amazing. The story has a neat sci-fi hook, even if the execution of that stuff could be better in places. Was looking for a popcorn action/sci-fi film and it did the job well.

Also watched Divergent, which felt like it was trying reeeeeeally hard to be the next Hunger Games and suffers a lot in the comparison. It's a neat idea and parts were fun (I found I got quite invested in the character and was into it enough to want to see certain baddies get their comeuppance) but I guess it's teen fiction origins are felt a lot more strongly than with something like Hunger Games. It's all a bit lightweight and flimsy, but I still had quite a good time with it. I'd watch another, put it that way.

I still can't figure out how the Dauntless faction's 'run whooping through the streets doing parkour' social lives line up with the 'live in a cave learning to punch people' lifestyle that it actually seems to be, but I can ignore such questions and just enjoy the ride.

Satanist

Because it was mentioned upthread I watched The Guest last night and you know what? I thoroughly enjoyed it that's what. So thanks for the heads up internet guys.

Oh and on Saturday night I watched Total Recall just because its so awesome. See you at the party Richter!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 24 August, 2015, 01:44:32 PM
Oh and on Saturday night I watched Total Recall just because its so awesome. See you at the party Richter!
Any excuse to post a link to the best page on the internet again.
We never really die.

TordelBack

World's End. Holy sheet, what a great movie. I think I loved every frame. Why it's taken me this long to watch, when I adore the first two, I have no idea, but man did I enjoy it. 

Buttonman

Quote from: TotalHack on 24 August, 2015, 11:06:55 PM
THE World's End. Holy sheet, what a great movie. I think I loved every frame. Why it's taken me this long to watch, when I adore the first two, I have no idea, but man did I enjoy it.

Not getting caught out like that!

I think these films got progressively better with 'The World's End' the pick of the litter. So in touch with my generation - apart from the robots. Lots of good hidden gags - check out the IMDb trivia page.