Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

The World's End

Despite having followed the Cornetto trio from the year dot it took me over two years to finally sit down with World's End. Between its release and now a lot of stuff had filtered through to me - some negative, some positive.

I enjoyed it, though. A lot more concise than the fun but rambling Hot Fuzz and the sci-fi turn was sudden and stupendous. The fight scenes are bombastically choreographed and tremendous and the lingering tension between the five musketeers is dynamite. Really it's a very mature film for the crew - darker and more melancholic generally. This may have put some folk off but I imagine... but those guys WERE nearly forty when they made this and I suppose they themselves were all "re-treading the Golden Mile" trying to repeat the popular formula they'd been riding since their youth.  I think there's a nicely reflective element to the whole endeavour that makes it oddly moving. Also Wright's direction was notably calmer, his jump cuts less intrusive. A few of the minor twists in it were as obvious as all hell but ... to err is human.

IronGraham

Just saw What we do in the shadows, really enjoyed it.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Keef Monkey

I loved The World's End myself, it felt in a lot of ways like their most well rounded and cohesive film, and the themes really struck a nerve so I found it surprisingly touching. My gut reaction when it ended was that I'd enjoyed it more than Hot Fuzz, but time will tell.

Very glad to see What We Do In The Shadows pop up on Netflix, watched it immediately and very, very much enjoyed it. So many great quotable moments, it's one that'll have a long rewatch life over the years I'm sure.

Dandontdare

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 14 October, 2015, 06:23:55 AM
Not sure what TB means by Dr Who reference, but I did look up Malcom Tucker and wondered if Peter Capaldi is any funnier in this political satire (Not known to me!) than he's tries to be in Dr Who when he attempts to mimic the comical charm of some of the better and better known Doctors.

in WWZ Capaldi is listed in cast as "W.H.O. doctor" (i.e. World Health Organisation) - months before he got the Dr Who role. Coincidence or Cosmic Omen.....?

I loved Thick of It, but as a topical satire about British politics a lot of the references may mean nothing to you - Capaldi is hilarious as the evil, foul mouthed bully of a political spin-doctor. Probably easier than tracking down the TV series, is to find the movie spin-off In the Loop - in which Malcolm Tucker and others go to Washington and butt heads with a US general played by James "Tony Soprano" Gandolfini

Buttonman

Mabs

Pinapple Express; if you want to warn your kids about the dangers of drugs, show them this film!  :lol:

Absolutely laughed my socks off. James Franco steals the show though, a brilliant turn from him.

Also, The Machine; I had me reservations about this film when it was touted as the 'British Bladerunner' (nothing compares to Bladerunner!), but I was pleasantly surprised by it. Ex-Machina is far better, but this film does have some good things going for it, although the Vangelis like synth score was pushing it a bit at times (yes we know you like Bladerunner Mr. Director).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Citi-Def_Joe

Finally watched Mad Max Fury Road last night on Bluray 3D
Wow  :o an absolutely amazing visual onslaught from the very beginning

Mardroid

Drive.

I missed the start, unfortunately, but I got the general gist.

Wow. A brutal but interesting* film.

The tone of the film leant by the pacing, reactions and background score was rather unique. It did not have the feel of most American Films that I have seen. This is not a bad thing, but neither do I mean that as a criticism of those other films.

*Not that 'brutality' and 'interesting' are mutually exclusive. But he violence seriously shocked me and made me exclaim out loud. But this is not a bad thing.

NapalmKev

Super-High Me a documentary about a man who quits smoking Weed for a month, does some tests, then smokes as much as he can for a month.

Anyone familiar with 'Smoking' can plainly see the guy seldom inhales, preferring instead to hold the smoke in his mouth before letting it gush forth like a naughty 12yr trying their first Ciggie.

Absolute Crap!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

ThryllSeekyr

Watched this Australian film called Satellite-Boy about these young boys who travel from they're tribal land to city to appeal to owner of some development company to not build on their land. They're most commonly called Aborigines where I later learned that just Australian Natives might be more accurate. Otherwise, there is no one name for these people who to my knowledge don't have a better name to be known by because they're a many tribes that have just many dialects of their own language. Probably a reason it's never been taught at schools. There is no such thing as Australian-Native-Basic this probably goes as well for Africans and American and Canadian Indians.

I won't give much more away about this film other than you don't know how dangerous these young boy become when they make petrol bombs to throw at a old beat up van left out in the middle of no where and when one of them finds a loaded gun inside house that had it's door left open by the owner when they weren't there.

The terms Walkabout and Dream-Time could be used to described their journey and their hidden wisdom when they're bike tyres get punctured by some broken glass thrown off the back of a passing truck. 

One of them sticks some dried grass into the inner-tube and it's fixed and they continue on they quest.

Weird Science classic film from the 80's with a very imature Robert Downey Jr and Anthony M. Hall and that fellow who was one of the well known henchmen from Mad Max Two. Still sporting a impressive a Mo-hawk and wearing something very similar to his get up from the cult [b[]Australian[/b] film. Kelly Le Brock is very well known in this one and the only I might tolerate her smarmy femi superority are looks and physique, but only back in those days. I almost forgot Bills Paxton who I can't find much fault with after finding his bed room snowing on the inside.   

Euro-Trip The cast entirely unknown to me except for a more attractive and mature Michelle Trachenberg. My only reason for not liking her in was the way she had been magically inserted into the Fourth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and her almost unfathombly long neck. She had shown definite signs of improvement here as one of her male buddies searches for love of good foreign woman, along with her twin brother and somebody else. I'm not talking about anything rude here unless you count their passing through Amsterdam on the way to Berlin after the main protagonist's much younger brother using his superior knowledge of the German language decipher dirty transcript he though he had be receiving from some German guy which turns out to be coming from his very attractive sister. So, he takes atrip with his friends to find his woman. I could on and on about stuff that appeals to me and recognised in this film, but will just stop here. I didn't know if he got his girl in the end or what. You know how I watch these films these days.

Almost watched another Bill Paxton and Charlise Theron film about giant gorilla but it was just few moments before I found something else to watch. Although, I did watch almost in it's entirety a few months early this year and had made plans to share my review here with yous, but kept procrastinating about this. All I know now, is that attractive blonde made some allusion to her future role in Monster while sitting in the passenger seat of a conveyance with the villain of the piece. A classic European example who also in the film above this one. I also had some parallels running between this film and Mad Max Four - Fury-Road. This beauty has aged well.

Buttonman

Decent icy horror/monster movie Wendigo.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Buttonman on 18 October, 2015, 05:16:42 PM
Yeah, an odd one this. Saw it on Horror Channel not long ago and found it a surreal viewing experience too say the least.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Black Sea

I enjoyed it. Mrs X and I are partial to a bit of submarine tension. And Jude Law's Scottish accent was, I thought, excellent - more authentic than most of Sean Connery's accents!
Lock up your spoons!

Radbacker

Jurassic World, well I liked it but cant remember much about it so cant of been that good or maybe my mind was too tied up with what we watched afterwards.
Available on Netflix I think it has had a very limited Cinema release in the US - Beasts of no Nation, absolutely dark soul destroying story of a boy in an African country (not named) who is take as a child, brutalized brainwashed and turned into a child soldier. the story then follows him and the Commandant (Idris Elba absolutely killing it) the leader of the army he's part of as they do all sorts of horrible stuff for the leader of this nation, more occurs but I wont spoil anything here.  This kid is maybe 10 - 12 years old and it is totally horrifying what he gets turned into, be prepared to hate the world and all it's evils.  Real eye opener but just don't watch it if you are already depressed or feeling down.

CU Radbacker

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 18 October, 2015, 05:43:36 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 18 October, 2015, 05:16:42 PM
Yeah, an odd one this. Saw it on Horror Channel not long ago and found it a surreal viewing experience too say the least.

I read a comic about the making of Wendigo once... ;-)