Main Menu

New Doctor

Started by Timothy, 14 July, 2017, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

No entries on time lords here, but plenty of other Earth based species change gender either spontaneously or for deliberate reasons...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_change

Leigh S

Quote from: auxlen on 16 July, 2017, 06:37:00 PM
I'll just say this here and hope i dont get the abuse I have received elsewhere.
Disclaimer. I long ago realised new who isnt for me.
But how can a character that has for 50 years been male suddenly be female...Yes, it is interesting but on a species level how does that work?

Please dont call me 'misogynous prick' 'regressive cock' or 'sexist'. Maybe i'm just too old?

If you want an in universe answer, the Doctor has now been given potentially thousands of regenerations from the end of that Matt Smith story, including some girly ones. 

Less facetiously, we know the Timelords "limited" the number of regens to 12... maybe being stuffy old Conservatives, they also liited the sex to one (and being massive racists, also skin colour), to avoid these kinds of internet debates?  Now the Timelords are gone, there is no such restriction

M.I.K.

Also, if regeneration is a complete reboot of the body... https://youtu.be/z1Kdoja3hlk

The Enigmatic Dr X

Told my eldest new doctor was a woman. And I quote:

"Who? What? No. That'll be rubbish"

I fear the scripts won't be strong enough, given what's gone before, to carry this off.
Lock up your spoons!

JLC

Modern Panther

I find it truly baffling that people will watch a show about a super intelligent, time travelling, semi-immortal alien who can transform their appearance at will and flies a magic box around the universe solving problems...but are unable to get their heads around the character being played by a woman.

How does a change in gender work?  Its science fiction.  How does a transdimension police box work?  How does regenerating into a different body work?  How does psychic paper work, or a sonic screwdriver work? 

Goaty

Reading comments on Daily Mail article. Very immature!

JOE SOAP

In a few years it'll change again so if you don't like it, wait.

Andy Lambert

51 years ago, "Doctor Who" took a huge gamble in replacing it's lead actor and it paid off, ensuring the incredible longevity it has enjoyed.
Today that program is still taking gambles and so it should. Fans have often cited it's flexible format as the reason behind it's success and longevity, and this is just one more change. It doesn't need to be feared or raged against. Just give it a try.

dweezil2

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 16 July, 2017, 05:26:27 PM

(I bet ABCwarBOT isn't having a good day... lol)

He probably exploded!

I feel silly asking this, as I've watched Doctor Who since the early 70's, but do Time Lords possess genitalia and if not, how do they procreate?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

I'm looking forward to it. Well, I would be if I had a telly.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 July, 2017, 07:50:29 PM

I feel silly asking this, as I've watched Doctor Who since the early 70's, but do Time Lords possess genitalia and if not, how do they procreate?

They have huge clocks.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 16 July, 2017, 07:35:42 PM
51 years ago, "Doctor Who" took a huge gamble in replacing it's lead actor and it paid off, ensuring the incredible longevity it has enjoyed.
Today that program is still taking gambles and so it should. Fans have often cited it's flexible format as the reason behind it's success and longevity, and this is just one more change. It doesn't need to be feared or raged against. Just give it a try.

It's a gamble all right, and one that has really surprised me, and I'm not sure it will prove a successful move in the long run. I've said it before - some elements of fandom may love the idea, but I just can't see the mainstream audience being as receptive. I honestly believe young boys are going to really struggle with this, and they've been the absolute core of the show's audience for a very long time. You might be able to persuade the 'old guard' to just try it - and some of us probably will, moaning bitterly all the time, of course - but boys will probably just find something else to watch.

As for the idea of not raging against this - I'm afraid Chibnall's statement that he only ever intended to cast a woman, rather than the most suitable person of any gender, will undoubtedly give ammunition to those who see the decision as motivated by a need to meet BBC diversity quotas.

Andy Lambert

I don't believe Time Lord genitalia has ever come up in the programme, but I believe Time Lords procreate through the use of "looms" according to the book "Lungbarrow". I've never read the book, so I can't tell you how that works.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 July, 2017, 08:02:00 PMI honestly believe young boys are going to really struggle with this, and they've been the absolute core of the show's audience for a very long time.
But here's a thing: maybe girls will love it. Who knows? But I'm getting sick of the notion – from childhood to adulthood – that male-led anything is for everyone, but female-led anything is just for women and/or girls. It's bullshit, and it needs to change. I have a three-year-old who's already starting to recognise this crap.

Plus:

Too fucking right.