Main Menu

New Doctor

Started by Timothy, 14 July, 2017, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

On Ms. Marvel, I suppose it depends what route they take. My thinking with Ms. Marvel (new version) was mostly that the comics are fun. They are an enjoyable read and as such, it would be interesting to see that on the screen. But the diversity angle doesn't hurt. And for all of the ranting and raving from various parties about representation – and, don't get me wrong, because there are a lot of problems there – we seem to be in a position where even in the UK, a lot of that argument surrounds black people. Asians are, for whatever reason, broadly ignored.

I saw this with Doctor Who of late. Apparently, the finale was considered problematic by some in the USA, due to what happened to Bill (black) being turned into "something to fear". That had literally never crossed my mind (and responses I got on Twitter suggested the same from other Brits and Australians). I have no idea if that's because I'm white, or because the nature of being black in the USA is different from in the UK. And also there are the demographics – 13% in the US compared to just 3% in the UK. Similarly, I've seen people in the US genuinely angry another white person's been cast – and although they have a point, the argument appears to be that the Doctor should now be black. But again, in a British show, why is that such a thing? Surely, if the Doctor wasn't going to be white, Asian actors should (Asians being 7% of the population) get a look in too?

Keef Monkey

Seems to be that usually when a group of folk announce they're outraged by a piece of casting for these kind of reasons and start fuming all over the web and declaring they'll be boycotting it, it seemingly has no impact whatsoever (fair enough Ghostbusters underperformed but can't help but think that was down to underwhelming trailers more than anything - other 'boycotted' PC gone mad movies like Fury Road and the recent Star Wars movies barrelled through such complaints apparently completely unscathed).

I really hope that's the case here, as there is a certain satisfaction in seeing it repeatedly proven out that no matter how loud some idiots rail against things online and no matter how much the offended parties think the world should revolve around their opinions it really, really doesn't and they just wind up looking very silly.

I haven't actually watched Dr Who for years (sort of drifted away towards the end of the Matt Smith era) but did love it for a long time and this seems like the kind of shake-up that could possibly bring me back to give it another go.

Tiplodocus

"first the ugly assistant"
Genuinely confused by this. Do they mean the Sontaran? He might have been a looker  by Sontaran standards.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

I always thought K-9 was a bit of a dog myself.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I'm always excited to see a new actor take on the role of the Doctor and this is no exception. Let's all hope for some good stories.

Mardroid

Matt Lucas's tweet responding to the casting made me laugh. Or maybe I'm just easily amused...

😁

Andy Lambert

Well, I just wanna say welcome to the TARDIS, Jodie - good luck and have fun! :)

von Boom

I, for one, welcome our new Gallifrayean Time Lord.

Tjm86

Well, at least someone didn't photoshop that Katy Manning photo.

::)

The Legendary Shark

Add your own caption...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

"This is what happens when you let a woman do the parking."

(..... and duck!)

;)

JLC

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]