General Chat > Film & TV

On telly this week

<< < (139/139)

Jim_Campbell:
Finished off The Peripheral on Prime, which chewed through plot at such a rate in the later episodes that it felt oddly unsatisfying by its conclusion. Definitely worth watching but, frustratingly, could probably have done with another couple of episodes to fix the pacing.

Also recently finished watching Warrior Nun S2 on Netflix. As with S1, this continues to be Buffy-esque tosh elevated by some fairly ravishing Spanish location work. A bigger budget yields better FX work and a decent number of well-staged action set-pieces, and the introduction of a proper villain gives the story more focus. It suffers somewhat from the protagonist's evil counterpart being more interesting and cooler than the titular Warrior Nun herself, but it's entertaining enough.

Next up on the viewing schedule is Slow Horses S2 on Apple TV+, which I'm looking forward to immensely.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 December, 2022, 08:46:31 AM ---Next up on the viewing schedule is Slow Horses S2 on Apple TV+, which I'm looking forward to immensely.

--- End quote ---

Happy to report that the series opener is terrific. If you have access to AppleTV+ and you haven’t caught this yet, go back and watch the whole of S1 then get stuck into this. Sleazy, grimy, Le Carre-ish espionage stuff that’s just fantastic.

Link Prime:
The worst thing about adopting streaming as your main telly access is that you often miss some terrestrial gems - thus I am lamenting the fact I missed the new Inside No.9 Christmas special last night - I had no idea it was on.
No BBC iPlayer option for the Murphyville cits either.

Anyway, in case any of ye miss it; a new Ghost Story for Christmas is airing tonight on BBC2 at 10.00pm:
M.R. James' Count Magnus, adopted by probable Squaxx dek Thargo, Mark Gatiss.
Winter spiced porter at the ready, gentelmen.

Hawkmumbler:

--- Quote from: Link Prime on 23 December, 2022, 08:49:51 AM ---Anyway, in case any of ye miss it; a new Ghost Story for Christmas is airing tonight on BBC2 at 10.00pm:
M.R. James' Count Magnus, adopted by probable Squaxx dek Thargo, Mark Gatiss.
Winter spiced porter at the ready, gentelmen.

--- End quote ---

I have very much been enjoying the latest crop of Ghost Stories for Christmas, a genuine triumph in low key event television feeling truly in the spirit(s) of the original run from Lawrence Gordon Clark.
For those interested, BFI just started remastering those earlier specials in lovely HD, the transfer for The Stalls of Barchester in particular is a thing of beauty.

Link Prime:

--- Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 December, 2022, 03:10:00 PM ---
For those interested, BFI just started remastering those earlier specials in lovely HD, the transfer for The Stalls of Barchester in particular is a thing of beauty.

--- End quote ---

I picked up a copy of that pre-Chrstmas, Hawk. An essential purchase.

The Stalls of Barchester is indeed a highlight - doesn't waste one single second of it's exquisite screen time, and now it's never looked better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version