Main Menu

Prog 2 sells for £621

Started by betel_uk, 01 April, 2012, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Jeeeeez! How many copies if issue 1!!! Thats what you call forward thinking.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Spikes

Quote from: Fatboydale on 01 April, 2012, 08:48:46 PM
It was a fair price for a high grade 35 year old comic 

Spoken like a true Salesman,  ;)

strontium71

Dale of an evening... :lol:

...because I hate you.

IndigoPrime

*choke*

Think I paid about £50 for mine, without the stickers. £600 is a _bit_ rich for me.

Emperor

Threads merged, given a better title and moved to news.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Fatboydale on 01 April, 2012, 08:48:46 PM
It was a fair price for a high grade 35 year old comic , i have better issue's for sale , see below :

Get 'em CGC graded, slabbed* and on eBay - looks like now might be the time to cash-in!!

* Although it is my understanding that they don't do this for 2000AD.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

locustsofdeath!

Wow! I wonder if this has anything to do with the film coming out soon.

Way back when the Star Wars prequels were set to come out, the old toys skyrocketed in price (then fell back to earth), and the same happened with Conan comic when that film was announced.

I'm glad I bought my prog 2 (albeit without the spinner) when I did.

He11blazer

Hi guys, that was my sale  :)

Obviously I'm pleased, but I don't think it's a crazy price. The best prog 2's that generally pass through ebay are VF at best, and typically sell for £200-£250. This one is genuine NM, which I tried to stress because it really is a rarity. Plenty of ebay sellers seem to think that near mint or mint are synonyms for "still has it's cover". I didn't want to be mistaken for one of those!

PS Dale, that is the nicest survival wallet I've ever seen!

James Stacey

Quote from: He11blazer on 02 April, 2012, 10:07:11 AM
PS Dale, that is the nicest survival wallet I've ever seen!
I bet you say that to all the girls :)

Well done on the sale.

W. R. Logan

About 15 years ago I paid £40 for NM Progs 1 - 3 with all gifts.
A very lucky day.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 April, 2012, 07:53:26 PM
Well lets see how this pans out over the year. There's been a few reports over at Bleeding Cool recently about the price of some comics going through the roof. Walking Dead no. 1 going for $7000! Bone issue one (1st print) for $800 (yah I have a copy of that) etc etc. 2000ad issue 2 is going to be a high profile comic this year and is probably very rare in top condition, so it'll be interesting to see if this is a one off, or the start of something?

Really? I'm not well acquainted with Bone, but The Walking Dead comics aren't particularly old, are they? I know it's been running a good few years now, but relatively speaking it's a youngster. Okay, relatively speaking 2000 AD is young compared to, say, Action comics, but with over 30 years under it's belt I can believe the price Prog 2 went at.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you. I'm just surprised.

He11blazer

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 April, 2012, 02:30:17 PM
Well lets see how this pans out over the year. There's been a few reports over at Bleeding Cool recently about the price of some comics going through the roof. Walking Dead no. 1 going for $7000! Bone issue one (1st print) for $800 (yah I have a copy of that) etc etc. 2000ad issue 2 is going to be a high profile comic this year and is probably very rare in top condition, so it'll be interesting to see if this is a one off, or the start of something?

Really? I'm not well acquainted with Bone, but The Walking Dead comics aren't particularly old, are they? I know it's been running a good few years now, but relatively speaking it's a youngster. Okay, relatively speaking 2000 AD is young compared to, say, Action comics, but with over 30 years under it's belt I can believe the price Prog 2 went at.

WD is nearly 9 years old, and that was a CGC 9.9 'mint', of which there are 8 in existence at present. Prices on 9.9's can get pretty silly at times!

Compare to the more typical CGC 9.8 (which most people would consider perfect condition). There are 326 of those and they sell for about £1000. Still seems ridiculous to me, but modern collectors have really taken a shine to WD!

Personally I'd take a historic 2000AD prog #2 with the first appearance of the hugely popular, iconic, enduring and influential Judge Dredd, over a generic but admittedly entertaining zombie soap anyday.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 April, 2012, 02:30:17 PM

I understand the amazement. I was staggered when I read about this. There's another issue, 19 which also goes for crazy money. A couple of articles over at Bleeding Cool

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/23/the-walking-dead-19-sells-for-1650-1-hits-1830/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/31/now-the-walking-dead-1-sells-for-7000/

Walking Dead is one of the those rarest of comics that actually sees readership increasing month on month (or did for the longest time). Personally don't buy into it but that's clearly me being out of step.

'Bleeding Cool' also do a round up of other 'recent' high flyers.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/04/hot-comics-the-two-hundred-dollar-club-march-2012/

As for Bone the first print from Cartoon books only sold about 3000 copies (how or why I quote the figure with confidence I'll never know but its always been a figure I've known) and has since gone on to be a massive success. If they ever make a movies of that (which could be great) then I expect it to sky rocket.

2000ad 2 isn't rare as such but is in good knick cos of the bog paper its printed on. That's why if anything I think this sale could be the start of a trend?

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 April, 2012, 03:45:32 PMWalking Dead is one of the those rarest of comics that actually sees readership increasing month on month (or did for the longest time).

It still does:

QuoteThe Walking Dead #95 has hit stores, it's the highest selling issue of that series to date.

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/30/the-bleeding-i-talking-with-eric-stephenson-about-image-selling-out/

This is not only impressive in its own right but helps drive sales for older issues, as well as the trades which have a permanent home on the NYT graphic book bestseller lists:

www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/paperback-graphic-books/list.html
www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/hardcover-graphic-books/list.html

The beauty of having a TV show linked to your comics - films will cause a spike in sales, but TV means a long steady sales boost that can actually build on the momentum (111 weeks in the charts for WD Volume 1 and the Compendium has had 37 weeks which is impressive as that is 1,000 pages and costs $60!!).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 02 April, 2012, 04:01:53 PM

The beauty of having a TV show linked to your comics - films will cause a spike in sales, but TV means a long steady sales boost that can actually build on the momentum (111 weeks in the charts for WD Volume 1 and the Compendium has had 37 weeks which is impressive as that is 1,000 pages and costs $60!!).

With apologise for running the risk of dragging this off topic I completely agree with this. That's why I was so excited a while back when they released those ABC Warriors animations that would have been part of a 2000ad  show. Dredd and so many other 2000ad stories would be so well served by having a TV show which budgets aside would remove many of the constraints a movie places upon a comics adaptation.