Main Menu

Prog 2 sells for £621

Started by betel_uk, 01 April, 2012, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

I think £621, while obviously steep, is a reasonable sum for prog 2 in that particular condition. If i had a disposable income that was up to it, would i have gone to £650- yeah, of course. Some people find pleasure in seven hundred quid stereo systems, others in comics. I know where i fit.
My own prog 2 is yellow, brittle and spiked through the middle, and is missing the stickers. It cost me a tenner off ebay about eight years ago, and while i periodically think about upgrading it, id only go to about twenty-five max, and would be happy with facsimilie stickers (if anyone has such a thing...)

Distressingly, doing a progcheck yesterday, i found my copy of prog 25 was suffering- and that i need a replacement. A search reveals prices between a tenner and thirty quid! Sorry, not going to happen. I can live with the cover-scawled football results, circa 1977- thanks dad.

SBT

a chosen rider

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 02 April, 2012, 04:29:19 PMDistressingly, doing a progcheck yesterday, i found my copy of prog 25 was suffering- and that i need a replacement. A search reveals prices between a tenner and thirty quid! Sorry, not going to happen. I can live with the cover-scawled football results, circa 1977- thanks dad.

There's one here going cheap.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Proudhuff

Crickey!! you could get your name on a Ma
gablock for that, well £611 if your not well(s)

Still non yellow paper seems to be the key, nice bundle fatboydale by the way...
DDT did a job on me

matty_ae

I finally bought prog 1 and was surprised to see a Dredd appearance as an advert for next week. In American terms prog 1 is a cameo dredd appearance prog 2 his full appearance.

In the old days (80s!) I remember paying a premium for Progs 149, 150 and 151 just to see Judge Anderson. Back then the Titan books seemed comparatively expensive. Ramble over. Good sell.

JOE SOAP

I thought the Burger Wars & Soul Food issues would be worth a lot more than they are but obviously the background to their infamy is less well known outside hardcore 2000AD circles.

Halo572

I love my nearly complete collection including free gifts, but have accepted that I won't ever pay for any of the free gifts for 1-3.

With the prices that people are prepared to pay they just aren't worth it and it goes past collector into fanatic.

My issue 2 is yellowed and no free gift but doesn't have any creases or tears and I am happy with that.  And pretty much all the early ones are yellowed as that is what happens to them. 

To get a white copy with a gift must be very rare, but far past what I would be prepared to pay and I am content with just having a copy in good condition.

Same with 1 without gift which I paid £35 for at Forbidden Planet New Oxford Street sometime during the 90s, with the bag long gone and replaced but the price sticker put on the new bag. 

£35 being the most I have paid for any one issue and supposedly now being 2012 £70 equivalent.

They can each have their own acid free backing board with bag sealed with Scotch tape and placed into as many 2000ad storage boxes as they need, but trying to get a NM or M collection of 1700+ issues is where I draw the line.

I did start to replace quite a few years ago that I didn't consider perfect, but between what condition they were inaccurately advertised as and then potential postal damage I was throwing more copies I bought away than I replaced.

I had to cancel my current 2000ad subs as at least 1 of 4 was being damaged in the post each month and it was costing me £2.50-£5.00 a month to replace them. 

The solution to this is to buy every 6 months now and get them shipped in a box.

Proudhuff

I throw mine in a pile by my bed, clear if of every 3 months and then stick em in a charity shop, mostly.
DDT did a job on me

betel_uk

Emperor

There you go:

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/04/2000ad-2-sells-for-1000/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Spikes

Its certainly making the headlines, int it.
Every early back issue of 2000ad on E-Bay now is gonna come with a £500 starting bid, ;-)

Spikes

Quote from: Emperor on 02 April, 2012, 04:01:53 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 April, 2012, 03:45:32 PMWalking Dead is one of the those rarest of comics that actually sees readership increasing month on month (or did for the longest time).

It still does:

QuoteThe Walking Dead #95 has hit stores, it's the highest selling issue of that series to date.

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/30/the-bleeding-i-talking-with-eric-stephenson-about-image-selling-out/

This is not only impressive in its own right but helps drive sales for older issues, as well as the trades which have a permanent home on the NYT graphic book bestseller lists:

www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/paperback-graphic-books/list.html
www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/hardcover-graphic-books/list.html

The beauty of having a TV show linked to your comics - films will cause a spike in sales, but TV means a long steady sales boost that can actually build on the momentum (111 weeks in the charts for WD Volume 1 and the Compendium has had 37 weeks which is impressive as that is 1,000 pages and costs $60!!).

Check out this original art page from Issue 1 on E-Bay as we speak - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%20251033291126
The seller has now revealed the reserve ($4000).

W. R. Logan

Colin YNWA

Whats kinda weird there is if that sells around its reserve a genuinely unique page from the issue will sell for less than a copy of the comic it made... is that really wonky or is it just me that thinks that's so arse backwards?

vzzbux

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 April, 2012, 08:36:53 PM
Whats kinda weird there is if that sells around its reserve a genuinely unique page from the issue will sell for less than a copy of the comic it made... is that really wonky or is it just me that thinks that's so arse backwards?
But all pages sold collcetively should amass to much more. I would expect just one page to sell for less

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.