Main Menu

Themed Prog?

Started by Smiley, 22 April, 2007, 04:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

I can't remember when we last had a unique Prog with a single theme; like a Robot issue, the daft Sex issue or the bandwagon-jumping Cool Brittania one. Or the themed Winter Specials; Horror, Alternity etc.

The Prog's line-up becomes more of a Trade Paperback schedule with each year, so if scheduling permits (and is that ever likely?) I'd like to see something like, I dunno, a musical prog perhaps (similar to Robo-Hunter's Play It Again Sam, but for a whole Prog encompassing strips that could get away with it, such as Dredd, Robo-Hunter and Sinister Dexter). Or maybe something where five disparate strips carry a single arcing plot in an exciting and unexpected way while avoiding the shared universe formula.

What would YOU like?

Art

#1527 turned out to be a sort of "Women are evil" special...

ThryllSeekyr

I personally would like a Sci/Fi theme involving robots amnd monsters of all sizes, mutants, aliens, fortress like cities ( protected by a new breed of lawmman.) surrounded by radioactive desert waste, celtic barbarians, scantily clad babes carring large guns, sidekicks, faithful companions, Hitmen, killers, murders, paranormal investigators, speical ops, cowboys, indians, soldiers, bikers, sky surfers, god like entities, greater or darker demons and a green skinned Betelguesian man with no thrill suckers.

Plenty Big Thrill Power.

Any or all of the above would be okay.

ThryllSeekyr

I lamost forgot, lots of vechiles of various shapes and sizes. Over land, city, sea-going under and over, aircraft, space craft, flying saucers. Magical castles, dragons......

Funt Solo

I'd love to see a special Belardinelli tribute, whether a whole prog or a winter special, I wouldn't mind.  Not re-prints - a collection of Whatever Happened To..? style stories, or flashback stories, featuring the amazing strips he worked on, but by the newer artists we have now.

Something like:

-Meltdown Man by Boo Cook
-Ace Trucking Co. by Steve Roberts
-Blackhawk by Simon Fraser
-Dan Dare by Richard Elson
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

PaulHarris

Um, we get that every week. It's called 2000AD

Pete Wells

Yeah, I'd quite like to see another themed prog but please, PLEASE not a musical one!

I really HATE musical strips and get the impression that they're much more fun to write than actually read. Keeping the melody of a song and trying to appreciate the illustrations just doesn't work for me.

More so, as if musical strips weren't tedious enough, musical strips where you haven't even heard of the song they're referring to are an even bigger waste of time! Now and again Wagner and Grant used to trot one of these out and I'd be gutted - am I being extreme?

Funt Solo

::am I being extreme?

Nope.  I have scant regard for musical strips, or even rhyming ones.  I forgive them, because they only rarely make an appearance, but a whole prog of them?  Ptcha!

Tweak72

As I read this thread, I had some strange and possibly twisted memory suddenly appear like a fat toad in my forebrain. Instantly my nose and ears started experience such unbelievable pressure as I have never experienced, bringing tears to my eyes. I realised to my horror that they where tears of bright red blood as. As my panic rose I felt my ears and nose give under the pressure and blood started pouring from every orifice in my head. I was only vaguely a wear of my head hitting the keyboard of my work station computer before darkness enveloped me.
After I woke in hospital I was told that I had vomited blood all over my desk and was found head down in this gore muttering through bubbles of my own life juice over and over "Never again! Never again! Never let it happen again!" written by my own hand in blood on my monitor was a chilling and sinister acronym.

B. L. A. I. R. 1.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Funt Solo

B. L. A. I. R. 1.

What a pile of hoary old cock that was. One of the all-time low points of 2000AD, but at the time I was eating a lot of'shrooms, so I didn't really care.

Tharg must have been on those special plastic cups himself.  

Tweak72

Musical strips?? Sh*t! My ears are bleeding, again!
It accually took me years to read the "Musical" Chapter in V for Vendetta and its one of my fave trades.
and every few years dont they get the latest "Cool" artest to redraw Dead Juves Curve? (shudders)
But i am behind a themed Prog as a tribute to passing Droids and if some one can kill Mark Miller I'll even by that Prog (as he has just done to Marvel what he did to 2000ad)

Funt Solo

Ha - a Millar tribute, featuring those olde "classics":

- Red Razors, in which Judge Scooby must defeat the punks of Kazhakstan, led by Ed the Horse!
- Big Dave: in the first tooth-tv crossover, Big Dave joins the cast of Shameless and together they take over Number 10 and order an invasion of Iran.  Scatter!
- (J)anus: Psi-Division: like, radical, dude - (J)anus has been seconded to a Mega-City Two wally squad, where she solves crimes of serious, like, angst, in the valley.
- Maniac 7: Oh my cripes! They didn't learn from their earlier mistakes and have released a dangerous robot that goes out of control and kills the family pet.  Again.
- Judge Dredd: Robo-Hunter.  With the Judges deposed by a talking fucking donkey, Judge Dredd becomes a Robo-Hunter, with his faithful sidekick Walter, who's actually an incredibly dangerous ninja-bot that attacks Dredd on a conveyor belt, in Power Tower.  Only Vienna can save him - but she's been turned into a robot-killer-babe!  Oh noes!!!

Tweak72

Like I have said before I admit to enjoying some of Millers work. some tooth, some post tooth. but if there was a angry mob surrounding him with clubs, knives and other such objects I would casting the first bloody stone.
some crimes, even if you do later write some good stuff, are unforgivable.  

TordelBack

Big Dave: in the first tooth-tv crossover, Big Dave joins the cast of Shameless and together they take over Number 10 and order an invasion of Iran. Scatter!

Genius.  I'd buy that, but only if Parkhouse draws it.

Funt Solo

Heh - after I'd written that I couldn't help but picture a Parkhouse version of Frank Gallagher - somehow it just seems right.