Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

It's certainly not the best but it also shamelessly rips off The Dirty Dozen so the characters, even though they're paper-thin, stand out and the setting (the village where only women remain) is also unique although seeing some of the ladies pairing off with the gunfighters is a bit creepy.

The villain is a big disappointment in that one though. I'm not sure he even has any lines.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I forgot there was a remake, and I actually watched it.
You may quote me on that.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 03 August, 2023, 01:17:49 PMIt's certainly not the best but it also shamelessly rips off The Dirty Dozen

To be fair the original ripped off Battle Beyond the Stars, and I've heard some weeb even made a samurai version.

Barrington Boots

Battle Beyond the Stars is GREAT.

JohnW

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 June, 2023, 10:06:22 AMExtraction 2 (Netflix)

...And it manages to be terribly, terribly boring.

Which is a shame, because I wanted to like it.

Primed by your review, I expected to ditch this in short order but I watched it to the end. I did zone out for the slow bits which – near as I can tell – were all heartfelt ruminations on family.
In fairness to the slow bits, they gave me time to defrost the fridge and get the washing up out of the way. Perhaps not what the filmmakers intended, but an ill wind etc, right?

Worth it for the number of times we get to see Extraction Man (I didn't catch the character's name) get the crap kicked out of him and still maintain that perfect insouciant curl to his fringe.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JohnW on 03 August, 2023, 09:24:32 PMWorth it for the number of times we get to see Extraction Man (I didn't catch the character's name)

Derek. I'm pretty sure it was Derek.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 August, 2023, 10:56:37 PM
Quote from: JohnW on 03 August, 2023, 09:24:32 PMWorth it for the number of times we get to see Extraction Man (I didn't catch the character's name)

Derek. I'm pretty sure it was Derek.

Derek Straction

Barrington Boots

Magnificent Seven (2016 version)

This sure was violent!
Some good bits and bad bits, but I feel like the end totally stuffed the entire film. When it's revealed that Chris was after revenge on the big bad guy all along it changes the whole nature of the plot: instead of the battle being about a stand againts hopeless odds, he basically used the other guys to get a shot at his enemy.
Still better than Return of the Magnificent Seven but I think the Lee Van Cleef one was more satisfying than this overall.

edgeworthy

The saving grace of The Return of the Magnificent Seven was the planning and execution of the end battle scene. It demonstrates how you would defend a village against 40+ Bandits with only seven men.

Chris, Lee van Cleef, explains the why and how. Along with an extremely cold delivery of how many of the Seven he expects to loose at each stage. (The rest of the film is generally awful)

Barrington Boots

That's Magnificent Seven Ride, but I agree, that bit is excellent. I think it's a decent sequel - the actual climatic fight is good, and the convict seven is a good idea with some good character concepts but most of them get no real chance to do much. On the downside the main villain sucks, it looks like a made for tv movie, and the all the stuff with Chris's wife getting fridged / the widows is badly dated and now creepy and weird.

Way better than The Return of the Seven which is the weakest of the lot imo. Seriously undeveloped characters (two of them barely do anything), ill-concieved recasting, weak climax, Yul Brynner phoning it in, Warren Oates goofing around...

edgeworthy

Quote from: edgeworthy on 16 August, 2023, 02:31:57 AMThe saving grace of The Return of the Magnificent Seven was the planning and execution of the end battle scene. It demonstrates how you would defend a village against 40+ Bandits with only seven men.

Chris, Lee van Cleef, explains the why and how. Along with an extremely cold delivery of how many of the Seven he expects to loose at each stage. (The rest of the film is generally awful)
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 August, 2023, 09:10:18 AMThat's Magnificent Seven Ride, but I agree, that bit is excellent. I think it's a decent sequel - the actual climatic fight is good, and the convict seven is a good idea with some good character concepts but most of them get no real chance to do much. On the downside the main villain sucks, it looks like a made for tv movie, and the all the stuff with Chris's wife getting fridged / the widows is badly dated and now creepy and weird.

Way better than The Return of the Seven which is the weakest of the lot imo. Seriously undeveloped characters (two of them barely do anything), ill-concieved recasting, weak climax, Yul Brynner phoning it in, Warren Oates goofing around...
Oops, my mistake. In all fairness the sequels do all somewhat blur together.
One critic referred to the third one, the Guns of the Magnificent Seven, as having "... all the Magnificence of a Dead Burro".

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 August, 2023, 03:43:54 PMMagnificent Seven (2016 version)

This sure was violent!
That sure was shite.
My attention had drifted elsewhere when Denzel delivered his big vengeance speech so I didn't see it and only half heard it.
How wrong can a film be that I zone out for Denzel Washington doing a climactic tough-guy speech?
I'm still annoyed with myself for not switching off long before it got that far.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Hawkmumbler

How many genuinely great westerns have we got in the last 2 decades?
That Coen bros headed True Grit remake knocks the socks off the original, The Sisters Brothers gets very little respect for just how great it is. Drawing a blank on any other titles worthy of mention.

JohnW

I've always had a soft spot for Open Range (2003).
It was such a surprise to enjoy a film starring Kevin Costner.
Also, it's a film without pretensions. The plot is so formulaic that had it been made, say, in the fifties, it would have been a B picture – but the formula is rock-solid all the same.
Honest cowboys take on wicked cattle baron. That's it.

Didn't like The Sisters Brothers, but can't remember why.
Funny thing is, I wasn't bowled over by the book, but then I went and watched the film anyway.
Sometimes I have too much damn time on my hands, I suppose.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: edgeworthy on 17 August, 2023, 05:22:19 AMOne critic referred to the third one, the Guns of the Magnificent Seven, as having "... all the Magnificence of a Dead Burro".

Harsh! I thought Guns was the best of the sequels.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 August, 2023, 09:42:37 AMHow many genuinely great westerns have we got in the last 2 decades?

3:10 to Yuma is one I enjoyed, not sure I'd rank it as great but better than anything else I can think of. I also liked Godless, although thats a series. I should watch that True Grit remake if you recommend it.
I suspect the age of the great Western could be over.