Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

Quote from: Beeks on 06 April, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
Anyone else watching Gentleman Broncos?

Genius!

Yeah, I have Beeks. Have you seen the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon? I think a rendition of the writer with the funny voice is on there too.

So true about girls asking you for money for tampons. Heh, urgh.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Beeks

Quote from: George Dread on 07 April, 2012, 03:38:12 AM
Quote from: Beeks on 06 April, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
Anyone else watching Gentleman Broncos?

Genius!

Yeah, I have Beeks. Have you seen the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon? I think a rendition of the writer with the funny voice is on there too.

So true about girls asking you for money for tampons. Heh, urgh.

That's Jermaine from Flight Of The Conchords the writer!

Funny!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

DeFuzzed

Beaky, the remake is worth watching if only for the sheer quality of the girl and I wish I had a better memory for names but eh - so yeah, interesting. However, funwise, I prefer the Wayne version. New westerns always come out colder and bleak for some reason, but then again, I'm a pretty diehard Sergio Leone fan so I come from a pretty strong bias.

(And by the by, I honestly thought Cowboys and Aliens would break the trend for bleak and yep, brighter, but oh so boring dammit!)

In both TG versions though, the older man crushing on the girlchild still wigs me out.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 07 April, 2012, 01:03:11 AMAnd on the subject of da nort', you wouldn't had sustained violence if the Brits had hammered the IRA into dust when they had the chance in 1921 or 1974

I agree.  The Shoot To Kill policy worked out great for all concerned and the British would have had no problems at all in the long term if they'd simply massacred anyone involved in small-scale civil protests.  The Americans should take notes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 07 April, 2012, 02:45:53 AM

This particular rotten conspiracy theory needs to be clarified (with all respect intended Joe dude); Donald Rumsfeld did not - and I'll repeat that, DID NOT - sell Saddam Hussein chemical and/or biological weapons in the 1980's, the U.S. did however sell them weapons, ammo, and various military hardware in their conflict with Iran between 1980-88, the reason being to set the two regional powers against each other to effectively keep each other in check, a strategy that actually worked until Saddam decided to invade Kuwait, a foolhardy move that turned the West against him, and which ultimately led to him swinging from a noose. 

So I take it you agree it's all right to support a genocidal maniac while he massacres other people except when they're white Americans. Need I say anymore about how the Yanks supported the dictatorship of the Shah -a lovely chap- for years. Playing both sides when it suits them, that's a really great moral stance. I think the term is blowback.

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 07 April, 2012, 01:03:11 AM

And on the subject of da nort', you wouldn't had sustained violence if the Brits had hammered the IRA into dust when they had the chance in 1921 or 1974, but chose the negotiating route, the terrorist infrastructure survived and innocents paid for it with life and limb (one of my own family members included)...

and you don't think there'd be anybody left in Ireland to take their place? It would've compounded the problem and made it worse, throughout the country. I believe it was the working class Protestants -Ivan Cooper- who started the civil rights protests in '68 due to how badly they were being treated by their own government. Should they have been shot too?

TordelBack

I'm having to work very, very hard not to join in here (stupidity loves company), so is there any chance you chaps could take this over to the Political thread so I can stop stumbling across it by mistake? 

JOE SOAP

Professor Bear

The political thread is the forum bike at this point*, and Robocop's political views demand a thread of their own.  I ask only that a passing mod start "The Robocop 3 Thread", dedicated to how awesome Robocop is, and how killing your own citizens is the best way to combat civil unrest.

* sometimes, I make it too easy for Roger.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 07 April, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
The political thread is the forum bike at this point, and Robocop's political views demand a thread of their own.  I ask only that a passing mod start "The Robocop 3 Thread", dedicated to how awesome Robocop is, and how killing your own citizens is the best way to combat civil unrest.

Deffo. We need to discuss Corporate Wars and Frank Miller's decrepitous gait.

Evil Pants

My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Keef Monkey

Loved The Raid, loved it so hard (got a review of it myself at http://pizzazombie.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/frightfest-glasgow-day-two-saturday-25th-feb-2012/). I need to own it on blu-ray so I can watch it a ton of times.

We watched Tucker & Dale Vs Evil last night. It's a really nice spin on the whole "college kids go into the woods for the weekend and get tormented by pyscho hillbillies" genre, in that the hillbillies are really sweet characters who the college kids assume are psychos through a misunderstanding. One misunderstanding leads to another, which leads to a few amusingly gory deaths. It's not a flat-out classic, but it is really likable and occasionally very laugh out loud funny, and Tucker and Dale are really lovable characters thanks to the performances being pitched brilliantly (one of them is Wash from Firefly, always good to see him).

Would link the trailer, but a lot of the comedy comes from the unexpected deaths and the trailer for some reason shows you almost every one of them. Better to go in cold, but if you like good comedy horror and slapstick gore I'd recommend watching it.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

Fright Night 2012

Not bad, not awful.  Leads not too bad, Colin Farell hams it up awfully, as does David Tennant.  The young cast have fun..... thats about it really!  :lol:
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Professah Byah on 07 April, 2012, 02:59:24 PM
I agree.  The Shoot To Kill policy worked out great for all concerned and the British would have had no problems at all in the long term if they'd simply massacred anyone involved in small-scale civil protests.  The Americans should take notes.

I wasn't talking about civil protests.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 April, 2012, 03:20:33 PM
So I take it you agree it's all right to support a genocidal maniac while he massacres other people except when they're white Americans. Need I say anymore about how the Yanks supported the dictatorship of the Shah -a lovely chap- for years. Playing both sides when it suits them, that's a really great moral stance. I think the term is blowback.
and you don't think there'd be anybody left in Ireland to take their place? It would've compounded the problem and made it worse, throughout the country. I believe it was the working class Protestants -Ivan Cooper- who started the civil rights protests in '68 due to how badly they were being treated by their own government. Should they have been shot too?

No, it's never right to support a genocidal maniac and unfortunately it has blown up in the West's collective faces of late.  And the ordinary Catholics had no truck with the Provos, and hated them as much as anyone until Bloody Sunday handed the 'Ra ammunition on a silver platter, and I would argue the Unionist administration was largely a very effective one, minus some mistakes made along the way...

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 April, 2012, 04:36:57 PM
I'm having to work very, very hard not to join in here (stupidity loves company), so is there any chance you chaps could take this over to the Political thread so I can stop stumbling across it by mistake? 

That's it, I'm done now, sorry all (and Joe if I sounded argumentative, 'twas not the intent), resume normal business...

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Evil Pants

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 07 April, 2012, 07:51:08 PM
Loved The Raid, loved it so hard (got a review of it myself at http://pizzazombie.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/frightfest-glasgow-day-two-saturday-25th-feb-2012/). I need to own it on blu-ray so I can watch it a ton of times.

Nice review. I've seen that Hard Boiled comparison a lot...
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Daveycandlish

Inspired by another thread posting a picture of young Sigourney Weaver I decided to watch Alien last night for the first time in years. For a film that is 33 years old the effects are astonishingly good. All of the tension still works, even though you know what is going to happen.
My only concern was the creature escaping from the table after bursting out of Kane's body (should I have spoilered that? Surely everyone knows that bit?!). The chest bursting is great, but I feel the alien should have scuttled or slithered away - not sat upright and whizzed away as if it's sat on a rollerskate going wheeeeeee!. It's the one bum note in the whole thing
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!