Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

The " Nobody cops off with Chekov gun?" How does this relate?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Buttonman

'Unstoppable' which turned out to be [spoiler]a total misnomer. Funny you mentioned Chekov's gun as I said to the wife that they'd have to explode all the tankers of explosive chemicals they kept talking about and then they totally didn't! [/spoiler]Still decent film - Denzil don't do many turkeys.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hoagy on 08 March, 2013, 11:44:03 PM
The " Nobody cops off with Chekov gun?" How does this relate?

This is the 'perfect soon-to-be-fired-gun of which all others are merely (fore)shadows on the cave wall' version, rather than the 'I love you but not like that' one, or even the 'fake-Russian's-laser' one.

Hoagy

Sure was following you up until 'fake-Russian-laser'. I'll take the earlier attempts and run with them. Yeah, good to know, cheers. :)

AAah, now I see, it isn't this one.  But it does have "Brawl in the bowels of the freighter", action set piece in it.

Aww man the song after Lethal Weapon 1 is the reason Jon Bon Jovi should have never existed.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Mabs

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 March, 2013, 11:44:20 PM
'Unstoppable' which turned out to be [spoiler]a total misnomer. Funny you mentioned Chekov's gun as I said to the wife that they'd have to explode all the tankers of explosive chemicals they kept talking about and then they totally didn't! [/spoiler]Still decent film - Denzil don't do many turkeys.

He's a great actor and i rate him over other black actors such as Will Smith and Jamie Foxx by a big distance.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Denzel is the business, irrespective of race.

The Princess Bride, a Saturday morning cinema trip for all four of us for a tenner all in! 

What a perfect film this is, start to finish.  I don't know what sort of restoration was undertaken for this 25th anniversary release, but the print we saw was utterly glorious, and the matte plates seemed much better integrated than on the 20th anniversary DVD we have at home.  I've seen this five times in the cinema now, and dozens of time on TV and video, and this is the best it's ever looked.

There's just so much to love about this on the big screen, from Robin Wright's glowing skin to Christopher Guest's glittering dead dead eyes, the incredible vastness of poor Andre's hands and the vileness of Mel Smith's cold sores.  There's some superbly brutal bits in Inigo and Westley's [spoiler]eventual triumphs[/spoiler], and the RoUSes are completely horrid - just wonderful, wonderful stuff.

A big treat for me was seeing what Peter Falk was sitting on as he reads to Fred Savage: a 'You're Next Punk!' McMahon t-shirt! Truly this movie has everything

(As an aside I will smugly report that my two sat big-eyed and silent bar squeals of excitement, unlike the half-dozen kids who brawled and screamed in front of the screen for the entire film, oblivious to proceedings.  Acceptable hazard of an almost-free Saturday morning PG, but still glad mine have the focus not to join in. It's times like these I really miss Roger - in the old guts I could happily brag about my kids safe in the knowledge that he'd be along to take me down a peg).

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 March, 2013, 01:48:19 PM

Hopefully when the offer goes out he'll play Silver in the SEQUEL.

von Boom

The Princess Bride, a Saturday morning cinema trip for all four of us for a tenner all in! 

What a perfect film this is, start to finish.

How completely true. If anyone has not seen this in the cinema they owe it to themselves to do so. It really is a treat.

Mabs

Yes most definitely.

I'm currently watching the 2nd half of Che.i've had the set for years but still hadn't got around to watching it. I loved Walter Salles' The Motorcycle Diaries , and thought Bernal's depiction of the Argentine legend was both beautiful and poignant. But Del Toro's potrayal of Che Guevara is almost as good, albeit as a more grown up and world weary revolutionary.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Frank

Radio Four's La-de-dah film programme did a feature on The Princess Bride this week, in which Frank Cottrell-Boyce delivers a bit of trivia that's even more odd than Mr Oh Look How Exceptional My Kids Are's incredible McMahon spot (i). Apparently, the guy who ran André the Giant to school every day was ... I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on (about 11 minutes in).

I've just discovered that Lovefilm has Che on their instant service, Mabs, so I'm going to have a bash at that after I've watched the Dredd-thrashing Lawless later tonight. Oddly, Lovefilm are also listing Soderberg's Side Effects for rental too, and that's only just out at the pictures.

(i) sorry TordelBack, I can never replace Roger

JOE SOAP

This is really what I'm looking forward to,

Steven Sodomy presents, Behind the Cadelabra:

HBO in the US and theatrical release in the UK.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 09 March, 2013, 03:18:54 PM
... I don't want to spoil the surprise, but

I'm still waiting...

TordelBack

Ahh, that's better, Sauchie's the de-egoifying methadone to Roger's uncut skag. 

Aye, the[spoiler] 'Waiting for Fissic' [/spoiler]anecdote is known to me, as I'm sure the t-shirt cameo is to many here.  However, I do take issue with Cottrell-Boyce's well-intentioned assertion that the title of the movie is a marketing disaster because it's 'impossible to get boys to watch it it'.  Maybe, but it got my 3-year old daughter champing at the bit.

Hawkmumbler

Hell of the Living Dead (Bruno Mattei 1980) and Contamination (Luigi Cozzi 1980) a pair of classic 'horrors' from the hay day of video violence. Both pretty tame today, Matteis classic is sold as a cash in on Dawn of the Dead (released as Zombi in Italy) but really is quite different, indeed it's quite original for it's time and more modern z-flicks have borrowed from it than you might think. Cozzi's rip on Alien is far more blatant yet still has a whiff of originality about it and being a great fun film to boot. The Blue Underground DVD's for both are splendid BTW, but both could do with good UK BD releases.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 March, 2013, 03:48:00 PM
I'm still waiting...

Referencing Liberace and Diana Ross in consecutive posts ... if I wasn't so certain of your rampant heterosexuality I'd think you were trying to tell us something, Estragon.

And yeah, Tordelback; I can't see how a title which is made up of the two things which half of the world's population is absolutely obsessed with constitutes a miscalculation. Maybe they should have made like John Frankenheimer's Reindeer Games (which was also called something bland like Deception) and given the video a reversible cover - The Dread Pirate Roberts and swords on one side, the original title and kissing on the other.