Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Easy, lads; this all ended in tears last time.

Mardroid

[spoiler]I liked it.[/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Gravity.  Cavity more like. Nah, not really. See official thread for details.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Dandontdare

Blue Jasmine - I used to love Woody Allen but haven'y seen any of his films for years, mainly based on piss poor reviews. this is a return to form and I loved it. Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins are terrific.

JudgeE1M1RT

Heat, mainly because GTA V reminded me of it so much.

Buttonman

World War Z and The Shout.

On this hungover day I also watched 'Extract' which has Jason Bateman and JK Simmons in it and it's directed by Mike Judge so it was always going to be a winner and 'The Expendables 2' which is as dumb and undemanding as you'd expect.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Spaceghost on 20 September, 2013, 10:16:02 PM
Demons 2. The very shittest film I have ever seen. Tragically pathetic in concept, execution, plotting,  direction, script, acting, production, lighting, sound, special effects...even the key grip did a shitty job.

Without doubt, the most laughably shit film I have ever seen.

How has Dario Argento got any kind of reputation making rubbish like this?

Ha, well, I guess you have to like a "certain type of film" to enjoy the Demons films. I personally love both of them - but then I love "so-bad-they're-good" films, especially those of the Italian exploitation variety. I can't defend them from criticism like yours, and won't try, but damn it, I love them!

I do think the cinematography and lighting are quite good, though, by any standards. The sequences in the ruined city are really atmospheric.

willthemightyW

KILLING THEM SOFTLY

Loved it. Beautiful to look at, well written (people keep saying the script is awful?!) great performances, and it's very refreshing to see a film that ends at the perfect time! Also, that last line: [spoiler]This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh! I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country, it's just a business... now fucking pay me![/spoiler]
By the way, what is the boards consensus towards this film, I seem to see a lot of negativity towards it elsewhere unfortunately.

I also got half way through the film TRANSSIBERIAN and then turned it off. Now that films IS badly written. Directed by Brad Anderson (The Machinist), with Woody Harrelson and Ben Kingsley among others. The performances were good... I guess, I dunno, I couldn't get over the laughable words they were spewing. I don't even know what to say about this film, I was really looking forward to watching it, but it's a film in which none of the characters are likeable, which is also the case in Killing Them Softly, but Killing Them Softly still makes an interesting film out of it (which is an impressive feat), where in this, the characters make irrational decisions, all act uncharacteristically to how they have been set up, and all feel like a GCSE drama students attempt to make 'deep' characters, who end up becoming all the more 2D because of it. THIS FILM MAKES ME ANGRY. ANGRY I SAY.
My friend tried to tell me I didn't like it because it was slow and I have no patience, which if you know me really isn't the case. Hell THE PROPOSITION and KILLING THEM SOFTLY are two of the best films I have seen this year. Know why? Because they're good.

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 October, 2013, 02:00:45 AM
World War Z and The Shout.

Those were both even more hilarious than usual; you should consider being drunk all the time - for the sake of your writing. Will: I enjoyed Killing Them Softly a lot, even if the parallels it was drawing between US politics/capitalism and the low life criminals it portrays are troweled on.

I watched Flight last night, which is a bit like Saving Private Ryan, in that it has an unforgettable, completely immersive and affecting first half hour, with which the rest of the drama struggles to compete. I found myself blubbing a few times, so director Zemeckis's mastery of emotional manipulation must be at least equal to his command of the thrills and scares of the film's opening. It's difficult to believe he's the same director who made Beowulf or that Denzel Washington's the same actor I watched cruise through Safe House on autopilot earlier this week.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 06 October, 2013, 09:44:28 AMWill: I enjoyed Killing Them Softly a lot, even if the parallels it was drawing between US politics/capitalism and the low life criminals it portrays are troweled on.
Pretty much exactly this. Don't know if two counts as a consensus.
We never really die.

JamesC

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 October, 2013, 10:28:18 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 06 October, 2013, 09:44:28 AMWill: I enjoyed Killing Them Softly a lot, even if the parallels it was drawing between US politics/capitalism and the low life criminals it portrays are troweled on.
Pretty much exactly this. Don't know if two counts as a consensus.

Personally, I didn't like the film but I remember the consensus being pretty positive overall.

Mabs

Solomon Kane (another character created by Robert E. Howard, albeit lesser known than Conan) I must say I really enjoyed it! The opening was strong but the ending was weak but the film was a solid actioneer/ fantasy pic at least 2/3 of the way through until Balrog, sorry Balrog's distant cousin turns up for a showdown with our brooding hero. I loved the potrayal of Solomon Kane by James Purefoy, his look is very reminiscent of Van Helsing, but more badass. I loved the look and feel of the film which was set in medieval (or should that be medi-evil) England. There were some standout moments like Solomon's encounter with the creepy transmorphing witch and some excellent supporting turns from the late Pete Postlethwaite and a brief cameo from Max von Sydow, both of whom bring some gravitas to proceedings. I miss Pete Postlethwaite, he was snatched away from us too soon.  :'(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

Revenge of the Nerds.

Good fun. It's very much of its time and there's some very dubious sexual morality! I did laugh though and there's the obligatory 80s college girl dorm room nudity scene. They don't make 'em like this any more.

The Legendary Shark

Robot & Frank. An O.A.P. gets a robot carer because his kids can't be arsed with him any more. There's not much to this film but I enjoyed it a lot. Very little of all that "does it have a soul" piffle and muchos kudos for getting all the way through without even a mention of Isaac or, indeed, any Asimovian hand-wringing at all. And the actors could all act, too - which seems to be a bonus in this day and age. 7.5/10.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]