Main Menu

Best Drawing / Sketching app for android tablet

Started by amines2058, 20 August, 2013, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amines2058

Ok everyone, on the back of the Cintiq tablet thread, what is currently out there on the market to allow me to do sketching on the go on a standard tablet?? I do no think my funds will stretch to a new Cintiq.
I have a generic android tablet, but when searching the market for specific apps come across hundreds of hits, are any better than the other. Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Secondly is there such a thing as a fine line stylus for a capacitive tablet? All the stylus's I have seen have the large squidgy rubber end is these such a thing as a stylus with a nib less then the current 5-8mm??
Thanks for your help!! :)

Mr Eight

I don't know about stylus's or pens but I've been using Sketchbook Pro and Sketchbook Ink - both by Autodesk ..both of which cost cash money unfortunately (about 3 quid each)

I've been using them with the stylus that came with my device.

They both give you an accurate line.

Sketchbook Ink has a nice smooth drawing line with nice variation in thickness of line - but you don't get a Fill-bucket, or an Eraser (you paint over errors with white (!?)).
But you get moveable layers - and you can vary the alpha levels of the layers. I think 8 layers is the maximum
It doesn't export at very high-rez so if you do do any inspirational drawing you'll have to trace it over again on your computer.

That all sounds a bit negative but the lines are nice and so for something like character design it's great and no fuss. 3 taps to open a new canvas and save the previous drawing.

Sketchbook Pro allows different resolutions, you get your Fill-bucket and Erasers. The higher resolution you set, the less layers you get. The exports are okay but again, if you're gonna do anything with the sketches you'll have to trace them over, or at least, 'trace bitmap'. Again, it's 3 taps to save and open new canvas.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nib of any pen you get - the way you can vary the thickness of line means it's not an issue.

No doubt you've gone and got something already but anyway, just FYI

amines2058

Many Thanks for the reply Mr Eight. I have actually installed Sketchbook Mobile Express, also by Autodesk which I think must be the free version of what you are using.
In all honesty I have not a had a great deal of opportunity to explore it yet as been playing with my Wacom bamboo on the PC, but will definitely have a fiddle (so to speak!)
Sounds good especially with the layer functionality.