Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Quote from: Goaty on 21 December, 2010, 06:16:58 PM
Love the 50th Issue Cover! with little twist from original The Boys 1st Cover...

Is that out now? is there ... a pinup section?

strontium_dog_90

Don't think it's out until January, is it? Looks awesome with interviews and stuff, too - be quite a good start to the year, methinks :-)

pauljholden

poop. Was hoping for confirmation I have something in that :)

-pj

TordelBack

You do indeed, PJ, and very nice it is too - great expression on Butcher!  John Higgins also turns in the most disgusting work of his and possibly anyone else's career (and I mean that in a good way) for his pinup.

As to the story, can anyone help me out with what Butcher twigs about Mother's Milk and Mallory on the last page?  I'm a bit dim, obviously.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 January, 2011, 07:17:46 PM
As to the story, can anyone help me out with what Butcher twigs about Mother's Milk and Mallory on the last page?  I'm a bit dim, obviously.
Nope. I reread the last storyline yesterday and I still couldn't figure it out.
We never really die.

gurnard

No me neither (know what Butcher twigs about MM) but looking forward to finding out.

There is a new BattleFields trade coming out with a sequel to the NightWitches.

Did anyone read the Jennifer Blood preview?  Apart from the slinky catsuit shot it didnt really do much for me.

TordelBack

So, I finally got caught up all of Highland Laddie, which was a fun read but left me feeling I was missing half the references.  I thought it was a good idea taking the Hughie/Annie stuff away from the main book and giving it space to play out, because I had felt it was starting to drag badly in the The Boys itself.

The landscape of British comics and kid's literature was well represented with most of the Oor Wullie cast, the Dandy, the Beezer and (I couldn't decide) Alf Tupper or the Topper (probably the latter, given everything else), and the kid detective trope - but one hand it felt like I was missing many more, while on the other I couldn't decide why in this context you'd include a giant transvestive (the Fat Boab character) without referencing Danny's Tranny, or an even more gigantic female psycho without calling her Beryl or Minnie.

So what else was going on that I was missing, oh wiser heads?

And given the revelation re: Mr. Vigors, is it possible that[spoiler] Mallory is Hughie's mysterious biological father?[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Not seen this anywhere and certainly not here so its with a glad heart it would seem that Garth Ennis has said at C2E2 he has two more Battlefields stories to tell. Hopefully more after that but at least we got a couple more coming.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31413

Trout

This is a great thread and worth resurrecting.

I'm loving the Mallory revelations in The Boys, especially all the wartime stuff. But the big shock - unless I missed it somewhere - is about The Legend's son and that [spoiler]Queen Maeve is his mother.[/spoiler]
It's beautifully handled, in a small frame on an inside page, and Hughie's shocked face is the only clue to its import.

All great storytelling.

- Trout

TordelBack

Quote from: King Trout on 21 May, 2011, 06:45:46 PM
But the big shock - unless I missed it somewhere - is about The Legend's son and that [spoiler]Queen Maeve is his mother.[/spoiler]

Yeah, that sent me scurrying off to the back issues to see [spoiler]what her reaction/demeanour was at the time[/spoiler].  Very interesting development, and [spoiler]Maeve [/spoiler]is already one of the best characters in the book.

While I'm enjoying the Ennisverse Crossover Event, I do wonder if several issues of hyper-dense expository monologue really does constitute 'good storytelling' - I'd have preferred if these revelations were doled out in the course of the plot.  It feels a bit like a rush to the finish, especially after the relaxed pace of Highland Laddie and recent issues.  Not saying I'm not gripped, mind, and the flashback art has been terrific.

Trout

Isn't there still the Butcher mini-series to come, too?

strontium_dog_90

The mini-series is out in July, apparently - can't wait for that one! As fun and informative as the Barbary Coast storyline has been, I've felt Butcher has been much missed from it, and I'm glad he's about to make an appearance, even if only in flashback form.

Proudhuff

Quote from: pauljholden on 09 September, 2010, 05:05:43 PM
Hardback? Hope so. Think so.

Hazzah! thought there would be some PJ pimping here... just bought the Battlefields II hardback, lots of loverly extras inside and rightly so at that price!

Still worth it off to place it on the new superduper Huff shelves, (see where the dust gathers thread)  :D
DDT did a job on me

zombemybabynow

also looking forward to the butcher (boys) mini-series
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin Zeal

Anyone else reading the Butcher mini-series? I've just read part two and it's going ok so far. No great surprises but it seems that the next issue will start to reveal a bit more about Butcher and his wife.