Main Menu

Prog 2145 - Body Horror!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 17 August, 2019, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MumboJimbo

Great prog this week. I was expecting things to worsen once the excellent Thistlebone and Absalom were replaced, but Jaegir and Sin Dex are so far worthy replacements.

Pin's fate feels both just and apt. I would like next prog's Dredd to focus on the huge ramifications to the SJS division that these events would undoubtedly have, but of course Dredd will be back to full health and on a new adventure, probably a one-off by a different author, and any Pin-related fallout will be quietly forgotten until the next time Rob Williams pens Dredd. Gah!

So stoked Thistlebone is coming back!

I wonder how Tharg will fill the "spare place" for the following 4 progs until 2150? Will it be 4 more Future Shocks or will be get a 3riller?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2019, 10:28:59 PM
And dear sweet Grud the art! I can't believe no-one has done the noose badge-chain thing with Death before, it's inspired. That corpse-pit will take sons beating too. Weston is a treasure.

I thought that was very cool and wondered why I'd never noticed it on Death before, I suppose because nobody has drawn it! The artwork throughout Control has been fantastic and a real treat.

A good prog, highlights for me being Dredd and Jaegir.

I felt the last Dredd page ended things a bit abruptly but other than that was excellent, I even felt a pang of sadness for Pin. As awful as the things she's done are a really good job was done of digging into your mind and where it all went wrong for her and I genuinely had some sympathy her when she met her final awful fate. Maybe I'm mad!

I could just read and read and read Jaegir stories because that Rogue Trooper universe is so dang cool and it takes it in such a great direction and the artwork is incredible...brilliant.

Was pretty happy to see Sin/Dex back, they're always welcome in my prog and the artwork looked really nice. Not sure how much of it is down to the colouring or if Yeowell has changed up his style a bit but it looks grand.

I have no idea what's going on in Indigo Prime and haven't for a while, but I'm still somehow quite enjoying it because all the madness leads to some great imagery and the art more than rises to it.

The Future Shock was okay, I thought the set-up was more interesting than the ending but I definitely didn't dislike it, and do agree that it felt more like a Terror Tale. Quite liked the art and wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

I even read the letters this week which I haven't done for a while! Not sure why I've been skipping them, I do enjoy them and this week they were decent.

Fungus

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 23 August, 2019, 10:35:47 AM
I wonder how Tharg will fill the "spare place" for the following 4 progs until 2150? Will it be 4 more Future Shocks or will be get a 3riller?

The Input page says a 3riller.

Let down by the Dredd ending, that may be a lack of invention compared to the high standards set by Williams normally. His toughness got him through. And a bed-ridden Dredd gets rebuilt again a la Steve Austin.

Future-Shock was good, these often tie themselves in knots (well me anyway), this was breezy and worked well.

Jaegir was grim and great as ever, SinDex an accessible first part.

IP's contrivances and art aren't for me.

DrJomster

A clear inspiration for the last few Dredds!

Actually, I thought the art duties on Dredd have been very nicely executed for this little run. All that rain and mud this prog really came across well! Nice story too, although I was a bit worried it felt like wrapping up an era. Please don't leave us, script droid!

And what about Jaegir? It's a bit good, isn't it? Roll on the collected second book, I say.

Overall, I was pretty happy with this prog, a good mix just like an anthology should be. Let's keep reserving a slot or two for new or developing talent though and give them a bit of space to develop. Erm, which we seem to be doing, so that's fine. ;)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrJomster

Quote from: DrJomster on 23 August, 2019, 10:47:25 PM
A clear inspiration for the last few Dredds!

I meant Frank's post, but two of you posted while I was writing! Friday night forums, eh?

Dandontdare

There are 99 helmets in that first panel - I liked Pin as a Psycho murdering the odd colleague, but how could they not notice slaughter on that scale?

broodblik

She has been active since Chaos Day and the department looses Judges on a regular basis. So loosing a Judge is normal and just another stats
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

Keef Monkey

Quote from: DrJomster on 23 August, 2019, 10:47:25 PM
Overall, I was pretty happy with this prog, a good mix just like an anthology should be. Let's keep reserving a slot or two for new or developing talent though and give them a bit of space to develop. Erm, which we seem to be doing, so that's fine. ;)

Well put, while I'm obviously super happy when the prog is thrilling me cover to cover I'm very happy for a strip or two to not necessarily blow my mind because it's nice to see how those creators develop and it's great to see them get the chance to. It's part of what makes 2000AD great and long may it continue.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 August, 2019, 12:34:05 AM
There are 99 helmets in that first panel - I liked Pin as a Psycho murdering the odd colleague, but how could they not notice slaughter on that scale?

Yeah, it would be good to get a followup story digging back into Pin's activity and the imperfections within SJS, there's obviously a space between the Dept and the SJS where Judges can disappear without PSU seeing.

Hell, link it into Smiley, the secret Ninja judges in the walls and the plot to get Hershey out by feeding her alien germs (what, you didn't know about that?) and it could bring down the Justice Dept!
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 24 August, 2019, 04:20:46 AM
She has been active since Chaos Day and the department looses Judges on a regular basis. So loosing a Judge is normal and just another stats

Losing a Judge in the line of duty and having a Judge just plain dissappear are very different things.
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 August, 2019, 10:56:11 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 24 August, 2019, 04:20:46 AM

Losing a Judge in the line of duty and having a Judge just plain dissappear are very different things.

We always read the story out the perspective of Dredd and the perp not Justice Department. Pin also know how the department operates. She knew how to get away with it without being noticed. Surely they have personal who investigate the disappearances of Judges.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JOE SOAP

Lots of dead Judges found with missing helmets.

Proudhuff

Given Judge Patsy's abilities to process data, s/he should have seen the pattern  :o
DDT did a job on me