Main Menu

U.S. Dredd fan

Started by the_stranger, 06 December, 2009, 06:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_stranger

Hi everyone, U.S. Judge Dredd fan here! I'm in Illinois doing my first year of college. I've read a few paperbacks and original stories from early issues of 2000 AD, and I've also played and beaten the Dredd VS Death videogame. Other then that I havn't read much. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell of a good starting point? The early original stories are a little on the cheesy side (no fence to long time fans!  :D) So where would the best point be for me to jump in? I'm planning on buying one of the Case File volumes but they're pretty expensive, and on top of that I need to pay for shipping, so which one would be the best? Thanks!  ;D

Colin YNWA

vzzbux

welcome on board. Just pick up a few TPB's at random then go from there.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Kerrin

Hoagy

Hey man. Prog 2010 on sale very soon. Highly recommended. For the classics? As V says {Nemesis the Warlook, The ABC Warriors, (The Black Hole, Hellbringer, Shadow Warriors.) nilolai dante, Sinister Dexter. Alan Moore's Future Shocks, Glimmer Rats, Stickleback. Case Files obviously. }some TPBs of interest. Your prog hunt will possibly best started in the classified section. There's a shop here too. Good looking and don't forget to check out the * Typical Britishisms* thread some of our fellow dorks decided to administer. Heh," Oi've seen nothing loike it, Mr Claypole! " NB. If i write he where there should be an if? Its because I'm texting these posts in and missed the typo.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

radiator

Start with something recent (non-cheesy!) and light on continuity.

I'd suggest any of the following:

The Art of Kenny Who?
(a collection of humourous short stories rather than a single narrative)

Mandroid

The Chief Judges Man

The Pit

Mechanismo

COMMANDO FORCES

Hello stranger, glad to see another of our American cousins joining the good ship 'THRILLPOWER'. It seems that a lot of you are jumping on at the moment. Anyway I won't recommend anything other than everything after '77 ;)

Mike Gloady

Hello Stranger.  Welcome to the community.

I reckon that thread Colin mentioned has a lot of good ideas, but is by no means exhaustive.  Have a read of that and, by the time you're done on that some more of us will have posted our thoughts and we'll have a nice little chat.  
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dandontdare

Welcome aboard, Stranger. Would that be the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne? I spent a year there on an exchange program many moons ago. Ah, happy days!

If you're getting one of the casefiles, vol 5 is a good one - lots of whacky future-crime stories, Judge Death Lives (which introduced the other dark judges - the best of all the Judge Death stories IMHO) and the mega-epic the Apocalypse War

the_stranger

Thanks for the help everyone (and thank you for the link Colin). I went through the whole thread and took some notes. Looks like I'll be ordering Case Files Vol. 4 and going on from there. I might get some of the aforementioned paperbacks in the near future. Like most college students I'm low on cash and need to find a job :'( the problem is I'm in the US under a student Visa and I'm only able to get a job on campus (as of now there are no jobs posted on the school website).

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 December, 2009, 04:18:06 PM
Welcome aboard, Stranger. Would that be the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne? I spent a year there on an exchange program many moons ago. Ah, happy days!

Dandontdare: I'm attending Benedictine University in Lisle. It's a small college, which can be both a good and bad thing. Good that the classes are small, bad that there's not much to do outside of those classes. I'm definitely transferring after I finish my first year. A student exchange program sounds like something I'd like to do in the future as well. I have some close friends in the UK and if I studied there I'd be closer to Serbia (I'm Serbian born but American/internationally raised). And  I could get a hold of some progs as well  ;D

Anyways I'm not completely new to the Dredd Universe, here are some stories/paperbacks I have read:

America
Dredd VS Aliens
Judge Death: Young Death - Boyhood of a Superfiend
various early megs courtsey of a friend

vzzbux

Spread the word on your campus. We will conquer America.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: vzzbux on 06 December, 2009, 09:45:11 PM
Spread the word on your campus. We will conquer America.

First, we take Manhattan.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Gavin_Leahy_Block

maryanddavid

IF your not too fussy about the way you comics are delivered (I have recomended these before, they seem to deliver most of their comics in padded envelopes, so the books may get damaged), but the delivery is free worldwide, the address is www.bookdepository.co.uk.. play.com offer the same as well.
Get yourself some Strontium dog as well, same creative team as Dredd, better character.

Cheers

David