Main Menu

Well... this is me.

Started by Cpt. Fabs, 27 February, 2012, 01:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt. Fabs

Greetings to everyone,

I'm the new guy in town. First of all, since you're sure going to notice pretty soon: I'm not an English native speaker, so please be patient and speak a little more slowly when you're talking to me. ;)

My name is Fabrizio, I'm a 27 old writing from the erstwhile barbarian territory of present-day Germany, I'm four eighth Italian, three eighth German and one eighth Scandinavian, so I guess the proper English term to describe a person like myself is "mongrel". Ist that correct? ;)

I have a great passion for comic books, movies and video games (feel free to visit http://www.mycomics.de/users/fabrizio if you want to have a look at my own comics work, just bear in mind that the dialogue is still in German) a passion that, sooner or later, was bound to lead me to the world of 2000AD. Although I've always been aware of the existence of Judge Dredd and the whole bunch on a more, let's say, abstract level, my first real encounter with 2000AD happened during a recent trip to Italy where I came across a hard cover edition of a beautifully illustrated book called "Sláine - The Horned God" and instantly fell in love with it. So I was curious to know more about this British comic book anthology called 2000AD that featured such marvellous stories on its pages. And that's how I came to this site. As you can guess, I'm not that familiar with the universe of 2000AD at the moment but I'm willing to learn.

So... what more is there to say about me? I guess that's all for now. Thanks for listening and... see you around!
Cpt. Fabs

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Colin YNWA

Enjoy exploring the world of 2000ad, there's a lot of great comics out there to be had.

From a very quick look the stuff on your mycomics page is pretty fantastic.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Proudhuff

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome! Fremde, etranger, stranger. Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante.

DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: Cpt. Fabs on 27 February, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
Greetings to everyone,

I'm the new guy in town. First of all, since you're sure going to notice pretty soon: I'm not an English native speaker, so please be patient and speak a little more slowly when you're talking to me. ;)

I will type a little more loudly, I find that helps ;)

To be honest your English seems betterer than what most of ours is up to and you throw in an "erstwhile" as a cherry on top.

Nice comics (even if one year of German many moons ago isn't any help in reading it ;)), be sure to check out our creative commons forum and the art competition in the general forum.

If you have any questions about further reading then fire away.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Van Dom

Pleasure to meet you Fabrizio. Enjoy the forum, there's only a few nutters to watch out for. Really. Just a few...
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Spikes

Now then and welcome!

Quote from: Cpt. Fabs on 27 February, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
I guess the proper English term to describe a person like myself is "mongrel". Ist that correct?
Mongrols are quite popular on this forum,  ;)

Yours Judge Jack, - part English, Scottish and Welsh.

mogzilla

read cyberleader's posts you wont feel the need to apologise any more ;) and th'ow do lad? (lancashire)

Cpt. Fabs

Thanks, guys! I think I'm going to like it here. In particular since there seem to be some fellow mongrel persons around. ;)

@Colin & Emperor: Thank you for your kind words about my work. I was lucky to meet comic book artist David Gibbons at an animation and sfx conference in my home town of Stuttgart. Well... "meet" is to say I actually hat to chase him for some flights of stairs and managed to bag him right before he could vanish into the safety of the VIP lounge. ;) But he gave me some of his time and seemed to appreciate my stuff, still encouraging me to work harder, of course. He seems to be a very kind and humorous person.

@Emperor: Thanks for the linguistic compliments, but it actually takes a lot of time for me to write these posts – and I have to check the dictionary every few minutes or so. But reading the likes of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman strictly in the original, English version definitely helps a lot! ;) So, you spent a year gracing the language of my country with your imperial attention – may I enquire as to the reasons of this audacious undertaking? For my mother, who is Italian, and all the other people from foreign shores I know, have always told me that German is a very hard language to learn. I wouldn't know of anybody taking the pain without a valid reason to do so. ;)

I checked the boards you mentioned and there's a lot of lovely stuff to feast one eyes upon, there. The thread about the attempts at the sample scripts has caught my eye in particular. I think I might have a go at one of those scripts myself, soon. As I understand it, it's possible to submit the pages one does based on these scripts to the staff at 2000AD for critique?

Emperor

Quote from: Cpt. Fabs on 27 February, 2012, 06:30:54 PM@Colin & Emperor: Thank you for your kind words about my work. I was lucky to meet comic book artist David Gibbons at an animation and sfx conference in my home town of Stuttgart. Well... "meet" is to say I actually hat to chase him for some flights of stairs and managed to bag him right before he could vanish into the safety of the VIP lounge. ;)

You need something like a taser

Quote from: Cpt. Fabs on 27 February, 2012, 06:30:54 PM@Emperor: ... So, you spent a year gracing the language of my country with your imperial attention – may I enquire as to the reasons of this audacious undertaking?

I think the school had a German teacher knocking around not actually teaching German, so they thought they'd keep him busy. I don't recall it being offered apart from the one year. They also made us do a year of Latin, for reasons that escape me.

My Dad taught German, so it wasn't a big chore but I suspect my Turkish is better than my German these days.

Quote from: Cpt. Fabs on 27 February, 2012, 06:30:54 PMI checked the boards you mentioned and there's a lot of lovely stuff to feast one eyes upon, there. The thread about the attempts at the sample scripts has caught my eye in particular. I think I might have a go at one of those scripts myself, soon. As I understand it, it's possible to submit the pages one does based on these scripts to the staff at 2000AD for critique?

Yes you can - be sure to follow the submission guidelines and if you have any questions then you can ask them over there.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jared Katooie

gud to see a noo perosn. WElcone.!

hopee we can teech yoo to speek proper like wat i cna.

i liek eeggggs toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dandontdare

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Judo

hey there, nice to meet you, I'm from scotland. What's the german comic scene like? X
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

betel_uk

Greetings!  :D

Massively impressed with your art btw!!!!