Main Menu

Volgan Wars 2

Started by Cthulouis, 05 February, 2010, 01:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cthulouis

Anyone else got Volgan Wars 2 yet?

I picked mine up this morning. Sat down thinking "I'll just read a few pages before getting stuck into other things I need to do today." So, those few pages turned into all the pages, and as such I thought I'd start off a review thread!

Now, I haven't read book 3 or any of the fourth book yet, due to accidentally stopping to collect the progs a while back and having yet to catch up, so my view is free of any knowledge of what is to come.

Mills is one of those droids that you either love or hate, and I know there are those who want the Warriors put out to pasture. As such, the best review I can give is this: If you loved the first collection, you'll love this. I did, and I do. I loved the story when it was first published, and the collection meets the same standard of both the previous book, and the Slaine BoI collections. The artwork is clearer in these books, and as before there are extra little scenes that add to the story telling as well as providing pretty pictures. Don't let me give you the impression that I like this for the art and nothing more. I love the plot here, and this story nicely embellishes thecharacters and world building, but it is the same story as was printed a few years back, so I'm guessing most of you have already formed your own opinion.

There is a curious new picture of Zippo's targeting/mobile phone thingy that raises all sorts of questions. Has Lash sent Zippo to scout out all the different Warriors, collecting information for them as he prepares to assemble the team to bring peace to Mars? If so were the Icon and the dude Deadlock killed in his story originally meant for the team? Are we to assume that Zippo had already been spying on Mongrol before they actually met, given that Blackblood's story is happening before Mongrol's? Is Zippo making use of the time travel possibilities of the ABC meta-physics?

Answers on a postcard, or better yet, on this thread! And lets not have anyone claiming the artist made a mistake, that would be really dull. 

Mike Gloady

Interesting thoughts, I'll post when I've read it.  God I need that book, but I'm poor right now so it'll have to wait.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

W. R. Logan

Got it, read it and as with the first book it confirms a couple of things.

It looks good, it feels good and is an example of how a hardback graphic novel should be put together.

The only downside is that whereas I think in weekly chunks its pure drivel of the highest order when grouped together its even worse as you dont have the 7 days between episodes to try and forget about it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 05 February, 2010, 03:43:31 PM
The only downside is that whereas I think in weekly chunks its pure drivel of the highest order when grouped together its even worse as you dont have the 7 days between episodes to try and forget about it.

Hmm, I wondered if this may make more sense if read through as a one-shot, as it was fucking baffling as several weekly stories.

Apparently not!

Looks pretty though, innit?

John Caliber

I thought I was the only one who didn't understand what's happening in the recent ABC Warriors stories (beyond the basic premise of revisiting the classic b/w Volgan War stories).

It is unfortunate that the author is revising his older work because it sharply contrasts how his writing technique has lost its focus over the years (one however can hardly accuse him of lacking imagination). Has in this instance (and Slaine) the balance of the storytelling duties shared by writer and artist been skewed too heavily on the latter (oddly framed, sometimes incomprehensible illustrations charged with conveying eccentric plot details better reserved for an explanation in a text format?).
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Dark Jimbo

What was impressed upon me most reading this collection was that some prog stories these days are written for the serial format, others clearly with the eventual collection in mind; this is definately one of the latter. It reads sooooo much better in one big hit than in smaller chunks, and really hangs together better overall. I think Clint's new pages, while perhaps a wee indulgent, really add favourably to the pacing, too.

Another winning collection. Only weak point, perhaps, are the rather dull covers.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

QuoteMills is one of those droids that you either love or hate

This just isn't true.  These days, when Pat writes a sensibly plotted and focussed story it's great (SAVAGE). But when he writes seemingly endless self indulgent twaddle (nigh on everything else), it isn't great.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!