Main Menu

Adi from Manchester "I've never read 2000ad"

Started by adi, 04 October, 2010, 09:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adi

Hi

Only realised this morning I've never read any 2000ad!

I joined up to find out what's good to start with and are there any super epic stories I need to read.

My site Super Robot Mayhem

AlexF

The only answer is "Yes, there are many super epic stories you need to read!"
Too many to give a single answer, but it's worth picking up a copy of the latest Prog (or any random Prog really) to see what you think, as it'll give a good flavour of the comic. Sure, it's nice to start at the beginning but sometimes it's fun to just jump in.

That said, the obvious plave to start is with the ma-ma-massive Case Files reprints covering Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog and Nemesis the Warlock - in my opinion the most consistently entertaining comic strips to come out of the UK. These are the thrills ever 2000AD creator aspires to.

Welcome!

worldshown

Welcome.

Surely with a website called "Super Robot Mayhem", ABC Warriors and Ro-Busters would be ideal jumping on material.

adi

Awesome, thanks for the help. I've added Case files 1, Ro-busters and ABC Warriors to the shopping list.

I'll pick up a random prog too, I can see my self really getting into the 2000ad works. The artwork looks amazing and now you have robots in there what's not to love!

Dandontdare

Quote from: adi on 04 October, 2010, 09:56:21 AM
Only realised this morning I've never read any 2000ad!

Does this mean that up until then you believed you had?

Well don't worry, that can be fixed. Get reading!

Colin YNWA

Just remember Case Files 1 shows a work in progress and not the finished article. Still have fun with it and welcome aboard.

mogzilla

the comic/junk shop basement on the way to the arndale from picadilly ( for the life of me can never remember the name,you have to go down stairs) chock full of old progs and megs  the two "best of " books  are quite good too a nice hardback with tasters of the thrills,the dredd one has a couple of full strips "fink" and "america"

Dandontdare

Quote from: mogzilla on 05 October, 2010, 10:06:28 PM
the comic/junk shop basement on the way to the arndale from picadilly ( for the life of me can never remember the name,you have to go down stairs) chock full of old progs and megs  the two "best of " books  are quite good too a nice hardback with tasters of the thrills,the dredd one has a couple of full strips "fink" and "america"

That'd be the Empire Exchange

mogzilla

that'd be correct, cheers ! i like to play look the men in the eye as they come out of the "seperated "area of the shop  ;)

SquashedFly

Hmm might have to have a gander myself sometime. Not too far away. Though my parents may not approve of going just for that. :D

mogzilla

Quote from: SquashedFly on 05 October, 2010, 11:16:41 PM
Hmm might have to have a gander myself sometime. Not too far away. Though my parents may not approve of going just for that. :D

what? the comics or embarrassing dirty old men? ;)

SquashedFly

Quote from: mogzilla on 06 October, 2010, 09:53:06 AM
Quote from: SquashedFly on 05 October, 2010, 11:16:41 PM

what? the comics or embarrassing dirty old men? ;)

:D

Well I think there are quite a few of the second in Bolton....in town there is a place thats called Softy's hard stuff, rather seedy it is :-\. I seem to remember something on trigger happy tv about approaching such gentleman after exiting places like that and then making a big racket in the street, poor sods  :lol:

but yes I meant the comics, though that does sound like a fun game. ;)

adi

I've been to Empire Exchange a few times and got a few comic bargains - but never been round that corner, it's ok for old comics but I dunno how appealing second hand adult magazines would be...

I was talking to a guy from work about 2000ad who reads a lot of comics too and he hasn't got round to reading any either for some reason.

But I'm looking forward to going to Thought bubble this year to see the 2000ad tables if your going this year.

Emperor

Quote from: adi on 06 October, 2010, 09:05:16 PMI dunno how appealing second hand adult magazines would be...

I once spent an amusing afternoon going through a secondhand adult novel (from the 50s or 60s?) changing the names of the participants to those of myself and my friends, as a birthday present. It was very well received. Plus you only need to do the first few dozen pages ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

mogzilla

Quote from: Emperor on 07 October, 2010, 04:36:46 PM
Quote from: adi on 06 October, 2010, 09:05:16 PMI dunno how appealing second hand adult magazines would be...

I once spent an amusing afternoon going through a secondhand adult novel (from the 50s or 60s?) changing the names of the participants to those of myself and my friends, as a birthday present. It was very well received. Plus you only need to do the first few dozen pages ;)

'cos the rest are stuck together.