Main Menu

All Right?

Started by Kirbs, 09 August, 2011, 10:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirbs

Quote from: Psidude on 11 August, 2011, 10:39:00 AM
So Kibs how long you been a fan of the galaxys greatest comic? and who is your favorite character? :)

well I remember my dad buying me my first prog, think it was 198. The cover has Capain skank and Dredd on it, I loved that cover, I was about 5 or 6 at the time.
My dad used to read the daily star at the time and i'm prosuming that were he knew Judge Dredd from, him and my mum were trying to incourage me to read at the time and he must of thought that 2000ad would of being something I'd be into, he wasn't wrong  :)
A couple of years later I was allowed to buy a weekly comic, I'd like to say it was 2000ad but the real Ghostbusters comic had just came out and I bought the instead (it did introduce me to the writing of Dan Abnett though, which was a good thing. )
After I stoped buying Ghostbusters I changed to the relaunched Eagle (I have loads of these somewhere). The best story I read in this was the reprint of Charleys War, I loved it.
I high school I started buying the best of Judge Dredd which was a monthly comic book full of old the early Judge Dredd stories in. A couple of my mates used to buy 2000ad so we'ed swap and share progs, at this time Strongtium dog was my favour the whole intergalactic bounty hunter concept really applied to me.
I started buying the Megazine, including a load of back issuses i'd missed.
Ever since I've dipped in and out of 2000ad and other comics. I'm now 33 with kids of by own (i've tried getting them into the Prog and other comic but they're not that intrested at the moment  :(  ).
My main aim now is going to be collecting all the 2000ad/Judge Dredd graphic novel, this is easier for me that trying to keep up with the prog on a weekly bascis.
Right sorry to ramble on  :D
Favour Characters are Dredd, Missonary Man, Strongtium Dogs.
Being a fan for about 27 years.  :D
What about you PSIDude?

Psidude

Hi,i also got into 2000ad when i was about 6 i know what you mean i have 3 girls who think its funny there dad reads comics,and wiill not give it a try but 2000ad has been such a big part of my life and i think it always will be :)reading your message made me remeber reading the dialy star dredd at my grans caravan and my dad buying me a copy of scream holiday special! i have read some dc marvel stuff but apart from the darkknight returns have not got the thrill power that 2000ad has give me :)sorry went  on  abit i love judge anderson old joe  zenith johnny alpha :)and my favorite storys or the dead man ,chopper song of the surfer,satan, block mania and swimming in blood,and dredd tour of duty was great! thanks for the chat and sorry about my poor grammar this is the longest message i have posted not my strong point  :) ps what do you think about karl urbans look as dredd? :D

Kirbs

Please don't appologise about poor grammer, both my spelling and grammer need a lot of work mate.  :)
You've just reminded me i have a old copy of song of the surfer somewhere, absolute quality that was.
I like the look of Karl Urban as Dredd. I know it's not completely true to the comic book image we all have of Dredd, but it keeps enough to make it recognisable to anyone who's even had a passing intrest in Dredd/2000ad in the pass. Plus anyone who watches the film and then goes looking for the comics later with still be able to recognise who Dredd is. The Helmet sorts that if nothing else  :D
I just really hope it a great film and brings a bigger fan base to the prog.

Psidude

Thanks m8 your right the more people the film can bring to the prog the better i realy think the mag is that good it would only take a read to get hooked,apart from our kids  ;) i love the riot gear look of urbans dredd could use him out on the streets now ;) there was some people not realy true fans haveing a go about the size of the film helmet,but soon as the empire mag came out with the onset pics that talk all dryed up,unless the droids are keeping the trolls off the forum  :)

Kirbs

What where they saying was the problem with the helmet size? to small/big? I'm hoping maybe to take to kids a comic con and that may bring out there inner geeks  :lol:
Is it the megazine you read? I've not read it in years but i used to read it religously. Could you recommend any GN's based on stories from the Megazine?

Psidude

The size being to big but i think it was just some kid trying to piss people off! that could work with the kids,tryed to get mine into star wars but know luck mad for harry potter and mavel films loved thor  and captain america so theres hope for them :) ,sorry i ment the weekly prog,i use to love the mag myself America ,young death judgement day Als baby,great work iam thinking of buying it again when my empire sup runs out ,have never missed a weekly prog i think its better now then ever! have you read the tour of duty epics? :)

Kirbs

Not read tour of duty to my shame. Thats why I'm thinking of going for the graphic novels instead of trying to keep up with the prog.  I'll by it for a couple of weeks and then miss a few, I know I should get a subscribtion  :)  Then there's the problem of storage  :( Graphic novels are easies to collect and display/shore, plus the wife is far more likely to let me fill the house with them  :D
My kids love some of the marvel films and by oldest lad thought Transformers was great ( I even got them watching the original 1986 movie on dvd first, quality :)  )
I was thinking of buying Missionary man bad moon rising and the first Judge Dredd case file to get me started on the Graphic Novel front any other recommends would be great though.
I'm also buying the Rogue Trooper game for the Wii, I'm hoping this may get my older to intrested  ;)

Psidude

Hi i loved the first film i remeber getting the vhs and being hartbroken when ironhide got blow to bits in the firts 5 mins :'( iam with you on the prog front i pack mine away every 6 month to keep the wife happy,iam buying the graphic novels if theres a story i realy like ,amazon have alot of great novels and you can always get a good deal on ebay :)i would recommend dredd case file number 2 i find the first case file a hard read the second has the cursed earth and judge cal epics,then judge anderson case files 1,judge dredd origins then brothers in blood. then tour of duty book 1 and 2 them 4 books will help you with the epic that is ongoing in the prog now! missionary man is a class novel. my all time favorite is the deadman and america,the rebellion graphic novels look realy smart.i love the rogure trooper game i just pick up a old xbox judge dredd game,great fun :)

Kirbs

Thanks for the recommends mate. I'm having to wait till next pay day before making any purchases, but amazon seems to have everything on the list  :D , plus i'd not thought of ebay so i'll check that out as well.
I have a old xbox so I may have to hunt down a copy of that Judge Dredd game  :)