Main Menu

Oldschool Fan

Started by DarkMellie, 16 October, 2009, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkMellie

Hi everyone!

I was once a collector of 2000AD.. I had progs 140 to 700+ as well as several years worth of monthlies nd dozens of graphic novels. I've always remembered the comics dearly for their amazing storylines and incredible artistry.

Sadly, I sold my entire collection whilst in the pits of drug use when I was much younger, I sorely regret it to this day, especially now that my life is wonderful and healthy.

Anywho, just grabbed all the futureshocks off the iStore for my iPhone, wish I could find some of the more classic storylines. The one where Chopper has the deathrace and almost karks it on the finishing line, the one were Johnny Alpha dies... and can anyone remember the black and white piece of genius about two men in an underground missile silo? Incredible.

Mike Gloady

Hey, welcome aboard and well done on getting your life together. 

The black and white one was called "Silo" although I don't remember the writer or artist - a quick search of the thrills on the main 2000adonline series index should sort that out, no idea if it was ever collected but if it wasn't that's a shame as it was a fine read. 

Johnny Alpha died in "The Final Solution" - available as the 5th volume of the Search/Destroy Agency Files.  Chopper died/nearly died in "Song of the Surfer" recently reprinted over two megazine floppys (can't remember the megs they came with but I'm sure SOMEONE can).  Both of those stories came towards their conclusion in around the 660-680s or so, concurrent with Dredd in Necropolis (and it felt like EVERYONE was going to die!)
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Richmond Clements

Silo was written by MArk Millar, with more than a little help from Stephen DeSouza...

And welcome to the board!

DarkMellie

Ah man, you are talking my language! I remember all of that!

Wish more of the back catalogue was digitally available, can't find an old prog to save my life.

EDIT: thanks for the welcomes :D

Mike Gloady

You're welcome, in every sense of the phrase.

As for digital stuff, I presume it'll happen but I guess (other than the current progs and recent stuff on Clickwheel obviously) they won't waste their time creating a digital archive of the WHOLE of Twoth and putting it out there for us to pay for and download until there's an industry standard format for comic readers.  Until then, Clickwheel on iPod Touch/iPhone seems the only way.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

flip-r mk2

Welcome back, was Silo not drawn by Dave D'antiquis.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Bouwel

Hello and welcome!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

COMMANDO FORCES

Welcome aboard the good ship 'Forum' and please remember, "There are no emergency exits as we're on this FOREVER!"

Peter Wolf

Hi ! Nice day for weather.

Theres stacks of old progs for sale on Ebay that need a loving home.Apart from the very early progs the rest are replaceable for virtually nothing.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm with Peter, the progs cost virtually nothing, but the P&P :'(

Kerrin

mygrimmbrother

Howdy doody.

Please stick around - tis a truly wonderful time for the prog.

Noisybast

Where you based, Mellie? I've got loads of old progs free to a good home.
See this thread for details: http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26550.0.html

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DarkMellie

I'm in Tasmania, Australia. You can imagine how amazing it is that I ever got to read it in the first place!

I'll try eBay, I really must have them!!

You all seem a lovely bunch too, I find it quite surprising that the community is so active! Are you all older readers (I'm 32)?

Jase

"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a graphic artist- and one day soon,
I WILL BE." - Tim Bisley,