Main Menu

Comeback-reader

Started by Juulsgaard, 21 April, 2012, 09:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Hello and welcome - many thanks for the bacon and pastries.

Only one reader from Denmark has ever had a letter published - step forward national hero

JACOB VOETMANN   DENMARK   Prog 1074

There was a Christopher Denmark of Glasgow in Prog 320 but he doesn't count (unless he was visiting at the time).

Emperor

Which suggests we need more of the foreign Squaxx (although really we are all foreign to Tharg) writing in - a "Greetings from Denmark, we have thrills here too" letter (with a little more detail) seems like it'd stand a decent chance on getting printed. After all the first few are easy (a bit of praise, a slightly different perspective, mild innuendo, etc.) it is after that when you have to raise your game and then the competition is really on.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Juulsgaard

So you guys are telling me that i was beaten by another dane about 700 progs ago... DROKK!

To answer your question, Emperor. Im importing my Dredd books - case files only ones ive bought so far. Using amazon.co.uk. The 2000ad progs im buying digitally.
I have seen danish bookstores selling complete case files on the internet, but havent seen them in bookstores. I do believe though that Dredd is well known in Denmark, at least among geeks... maybe mostly among old geeks... I do think that the Stallone Dredd movie really damaged Dredds reputation.
Comic books are having a hard time in Denmark, such a small market only get the bigges and most mainstream comics like Marvel and DC. Even those have a hard time surviving. I believe the danish xmen was just discontinued recently.
Then again I think that as i said before most danish people read english without a problem, so order their comics by the internet. Like me...

The Prodigal

Quote from: Juulsgaard on 21 April, 2012, 09:07:03 AM
Hi everybody. Dredd fan, from Denmark, 39 years old. Back in the 80'ies i read and collected the danish translated judge dredd magazines. There was too little of it though and soon only read DC and Marvel.
In the early 90'ies i completely stopped reading comics.
1 year ago I bought myself an Ipad an immediately took up buying some Marvel Digital Comics in the Marvel app.
I thought this was a good way of reading comics - and no complaints from the wife about lots of comics stacking up in the living room. I got the marvel comics digital unlimited subscription. 2 months later i am bored with Marvel, Spiderman, Xmen etc. etc.
Then I read an add for the Judge Dredd complete case files. Ordered 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. 1 mont later ive read them all. And I want more - This is the sort of comicbook I want to read - I now remember how fascinated i was with the Dredd magazine when I was a young kid - i feel like i have gotten some of that feeling back reading Dredd again. Im back for good!

I feel like I am reading some of my own history when I am reading this. I hadn't read 2000ad since the 70's and was down the superhero route for decades until I got so bored with them about 6 months ago. I could not have seen it happening but it did and as a reaction I started to experiment with 2000Ad. Without going overboard it breathed life back into my comic enjoyment.

This is a great forum packed with good people and great advice-its a good place to be.

Juulsgaard

Maybe the digital comic revolution will get even more people to come back. If there are more out there like us, Prodigal, then theres bound to be a flood of grown up comic readers wanting something more than Marvel.
I guess when I first read comics it was about macho-identification or something like that. Naturally when trying out comics again it was back to Marvel, which I knew best. But I really dont think Marvel have matured very well, at least not those series i read recently.

In Dredd I found something that appeals to me, the adult-reader. To begin with nostalgia, but underneath some of the macho-identification (which i believe is also present in the classic Dredd) - there is something much deeper and much more satisfying. And to much surprise it seems even more satisfying now to me, as an older comicbook-reader. (And I havent even read the best of it yet, as I can understand! )

And YES. This forum seems like a very nice place - havent had such warm and helpful forum-welcome anywhere else. Maybe thats down to the nature of Dredd readers. I like to think so... :)

The Prodigal

Quote from: Juulsgaard on 21 April, 2012, 08:43:30 PM
Maybe the digital comic revolution will get even more people to come back. If there are more out there like us, Prodigal, then theres bound to be a flood of grown up comic readers wanting something more than Marvel.
I guess when I first read comics it was about macho-identification or something like that. Naturally when trying out comics again it was back to Marvel, which I knew best. But I really dont think Marvel have matured very well, at least not those series i read recently.

In Dredd I found something that appeals to me, the adult-reader. To begin with nostalgia, but underneath some of the macho-identification (which i believe is also present in the classic Dredd) - there is something much deeper and much more satisfying. And to much surprise it seems even more satisfying now to me, as an older comicbook-reader. (And I havent even read the best of it yet, as I can understand! )

And YES. This forum seems like a very nice place - havent had such warm and helpful forum-welcome anywhere else. Maybe thats down to the nature of Dredd readers. I like to think so... :)

Totally agree with all you say about Marvel and indeed the rest of your post. Anyway great to see you here.

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard and have fun.

If you're worried about Dredd exhaustion why not take a side road and get the Nemesis collections or something like that? Also is it cheaper to import from Amazon.co.uk or would Bookdepository work out cheaper with its free worldwide shipping? Sure you've checked all this out anyway, most importantly enjoy.

Juulsgaard

@Colin (Im also a Liverpool-supporter myself) Ive been thinking about buying some of those collections. Ive never read Nemesis or Strontium dog. They are pretty good value for money - and might be great for diversity. I can get them with free shipping from amazon.co.uk although there is a 25 pct fee on everything for danish buyers (vat).

A question about Strontium dog: Does this story take place in the same world as J. Dredd? And is it the same time it is taking place.

Colin YNWA

Where Dredd and Strontium Dog have 'crossed over' a couple of times they aren't official in the same universe. Strontium Dog is set after Dredd.

Nemesis has also had Judge's appear and Satannus BUT again isn't considered to be the same world or anything. Each is a delight on their own mind.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Juulsgaard on 22 April, 2012, 08:34:04 AM
@Colin (Im also a Liverpool-supporter myself) Ive been thinking about buying some of those collections. Ive never read Nemesis or Strontium dog. They are pretty good value for money - and might be great for diversity. I can get them with free shipping from amazon.co.uk although there is a 25 pct fee on everything for danish buyers (vat).

A question about Strontium dog: Does this story take place in the same world as J. Dredd? And is it the same time it is taking place.

Juulsgaard Strontium dog and Dredd have been the twin pillars of my post superhero comics recovery. I highly recommend SD. I have been having a ball with both.

Juulsgaard

sounds like i have to order the Strontium Dog collections. Its great to have so much quality reading to look forward too.
Thanks

IndigoPrime

Another nod here for Stronty, which I'd say for me is the one strip I'd have long been happy to replace Dredd as the lead in 2000 AD. If possible, pick them up in order: read the five Search/Destory Agency Files first, then work through the new series. The order is outlined here.

Nemesis is, for me, less consistent. The first volume is excellent—pure bonkers 1980s comic book madness, with a crazed bunch of aliens fighting extremist future humans. After that, it somewhat goes off the boil, degenerating at times into a rather overt criticism of Thatcherism. It never gets bad per se, but I never felt Nemesis ever returned to those lofty heights of The Gothic Empire and what went before.

Juulsgaard

Thanks again everybody - its going to be a pleasure-filled 2012 for me. Hopefully my wife will be very understanding and take up reading comics as well. (both are never going to happen...)

The Prodigal

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 April, 2012, 12:54:10 PM
Another nod here for Stronty, which I'd say for me is the one strip I'd have long been happy to replace Dredd as the lead in 2000 AD. If possible, pick them up in order: read the five Search/Destory Agency Files first, then work through the new series. The order is outlined here.

Nemesis is, for me, less consistent. The first volume is excellent—pure bonkers 1980s comic book madness, with a crazed bunch of aliens fighting extremist future humans. After that, it somewhat goes off the boil, degenerating at times into a rather overt criticism of Thatcherism. It never gets bad per se, but I never felt Nemesis ever returned to those lofty heights of The Gothic Empire and what went before.

Indigo is the "early cases" Trade covered elsewhere by the search and destroy files?

nuffsaid

Quote from: Juulsgaard on 22 April, 2012, 08:34:04 AM

It's an interesting point for me too as I am from Sweden and here you also have to import rebellion books.

First if don't haven't found mongoose selling books then there might be something cheap interesting here at least the Thrill-Power Overload:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/oopsale/2000adgraphicnovels.html?p=1

I don't know about Amazon but the Nordic on line book store adlibris.com seems cheaper than buying books than the 2000AD store. But VAT in Sweden I think is only 6 pct...

If anyone has suggestions I am al ears...