Main Menu

Vertigo's Fables to become tv series.

Started by ukdane, 09 December, 2008, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

As reported here, a pilot is in the pipeline, based on Bill Willingham's Vertigo series Fables.
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

I just happened to be checking out the wiki entry for the comic last night and noticed that too. Could be good, could be awful. I'm hoping it doesn't influence the comic too much, though I know comics have always been influenced by the spin off versions.

I've got a bit behind with my comics so I've just read 71 - 78 in one sitting. Got similar amounts of other titles to read too. Good job I've got the week off.

Dandontdare

I hate pessimists who automatically assume any adaptation of somethinmg they love will be disappointing....but it probably will won't it?

ukdane

I'm in the same position DXB - loads of comics to read, including Fables 71-78.
In the link I've posted, Willingham does make a comment about the fact that Fables is a comic first and formost, and is therefore cannon, whilst any tv stuff he will reserve judgement for.
Cheers

-Daney

Bongo Jack

I'd suggest those of an optimistic view to first check out Valentine, a tv show - that started this season - about the gods of the Greek pantheon living in modern-day America and still plying their trade under the noses of normal people, despite their world slowly disappearing with every passing day.
You'll, erm... definately come away with a strong opinion of this kind of fantasy.

This has been done to death on television in some form or another over the years, and in novels, and even videogames.  What made Fables reasonably fresh was that it wasn't terribly overdone in comics, since characters from fables appearing in four-colour funnies usually happened in some sort of supporting capacity in superhero books.  It might be a tough sell, especially now that telefantasy ratings seem to taking a serious nosedive - if the new Knight Rider can be cancelled, nothing is safe!
Live forever or die trying