Main Menu

Prog 2175 - Semi Detached

Started by Richard, 28 March, 2020, 01:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Judge Dredd: Hair of the Dog finishes perfectly well.

Skip Tracer, well the art is good anyway.

Survival Geeks returns for its last story, and for me this is the highlight this week. There are two massive and crazily-detailed panels that must have taken Neil Googe absolutely ages! The theme of this story seems to be the exact way that this series should logically conclude actually, as if the whole series has been building up to this. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

Aquila is suitably bloody, and promises more mayhem next week. Also it's nice to have an occasional alternative to science fiction in the prog, and I always love Patrick Goddard's art (can we have him on Dredd again please?).

Finally, I will spoiler tag this last one because I think some people will enjoy the surprise of discovering it for themselves. A new series starts called [spoiler]Hershey, starring ex-chief judge Hershey,[/spoiler] by Rob Williams and with brilliant art by Simon Fraser, and I really like how this looks, with the unusual use of colour. [spoiler]At first I thought it was going to be about what she did after she resigned but before she died, but no: it retcons her death in Guatemala and says she faked her own death and cremation. Well, sorry but fuck that. That's a big nope from me. That death scene was a brilliant and touching moment, and this story retrospectively unhappens it? This is the same mistake Garth Ennis made with Chopper, and it seems that lesson has not been learned. I'll still read it but I will never think of this as canon. (I wonder what Wagner thinks about people "improving" his stories?)[/spoiler]

Finally, Damage Report gives us an insight into Tharg working from home during the coronavirus lockdown, and it sounds like we are lucky to get a prog at all! So congratulations Tharg and thank you!

jabish

Agree with everything said in that spoiler. And then some. [spoiler]Actually disrespectful. Sorry.[/spoiler]

The Monarch

broodblik

When is the last time we saw Simon Fraser's work in the prog ? His last work I believe was in the finale of Nikolai Dante "Sympathy for the Devil" in prog 1791 (2012) and his last Judge Dredd was "In Control" in prog 1717 (2011)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 28 March, 2020, 03:52:25 PM
When is the last time we saw Simon Fraser's work in the prog ? His last work I believe was in the finale of Nikolai Dante "Sympathy for the Devil" in prog 1791 (2012) and his last Judge Dredd was "In Control" in prog 1717 (2011)

His last work for 2000AD was Nikolai Dante "Devil May Care" in the 40th Anniversary Special (2017)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

I'm just happy to get the prog this week, with a great Dredd,and some lovely art throughout, that I feel now is not the time to dissect the surprise, no matter what I might initially think about it.  All praise to home working Thargs!

paddykafka

No prog for the few weeks / months (who knows?!) as there are no deliveries from England to the Emerald Isle 'till this virus thing has been resolved. And I've no interest in going digital as I prefer having and reading a physical copy. In the great big scheme of things I know this is inconsequential. But I'm still pissed off about it. Particularly as I'm going to be late finding out what the surprise new series is.  >:(

On the plus side, I'm going to have one hell of a case of Thrill Power Overload to look forward to.   :)

Batman's Superior Cousin

No prog near Newcastle-Upon-Tyne way
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

matty_ae

When I met John Wagner at Leamington he did imply all may not be what it seemed with [spoiler]Hershey's death.[/spoiler] Maybe he knew. Maybe it was his idea. I do think as a general criticism 2000ad is guilty of going back to the same well too often.

Judge Death. Chopper. Mean Machine. Dredd/Batman.

I love having [spoiler]Simon Fraser[/spoiler] back under any circumstances...

Woolly

Quote from: jabish on 28 March, 2020, 01:15:06 PM
Agree with everything said in that spoiler. And then some. [spoiler]Actually disrespectful. Sorry.[/spoiler]

Agreed, so far at least.[spoiler] If this had come maybe 2 progs after her 'death' I'd have welcomed it with open arms.
As it stands, I'm feeling a bit hoodwinked.[/spoiler]

Still, could be worse. This 'big secret' could have been something Skip Tracer related.
Still, Simon Fraser back in the prog, and it was a good read.
Still, as the mighty Bish-Op once said* 'It's only a [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] comic!'

*I think...  :-\

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 30 March, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
*I think...

ISTR that story was actually that Richard Burton said those words to Andy Diggle on his arrival at the 2000AD offices and that Andy had to restrain himself from shouting back: "No, it's fucking not!"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 March, 2020, 03:26:15 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 30 March, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
*I think...

ISTR that story was actually that Richard Burton said those words to Andy Diggle on his arrival at the 2000AD offices and that Andy had to restrain himself from shouting back: "No, it's fucking not!"

I could have sworn there was a story involving a very ill Mark Harrison, and Durham Red artwork...
Then again, this might be when he called someone's Mum a [spoiler]****[/spoiler]!  :|

Molch-R

A quick reminder that certain words remain verboten, even if under spoiler tags ;)