Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

They continued Devlin in the UC, so it's not like this would be without precedent.

Le Fink

Feel like posting this in the "Best / Worst Strip Endings" thread, but I've just finished reading the Inferno volume. It ends after some crazed (poor) plotting, in the grimmest way, and the heaviest defeat. What a downer! Tharg himself appears in the episode to rush us through a couple of deaths. It's like someone said 'bury it' and the writer took it literally. I found the cliffhanger where Giant was doused with fuel pretty shocking, and I'm not surprised if the strip caused controversy at the time. The treatment of Cindy, yikes. Am I right in thinking the artist has drawn himself in the crowd, egging the action on? What a bizarre strip!

Le Fink

Quote from: sintec on 18 October, 2023, 12:38:52 PM
  • Dredd - although what I'm not sure
We've not had any Ken Niemand. Noam Chimpsky, Megatropolis and A Penitent Man.

Le Fink

The Milligan book has arrived, and a very nice package it is too. I went straight to Shadows to see if it is as good as I remember and raced through it. For me, it's great. Personally I really like Elson's art here, although the intro and back matter imply he has, until more recently, disowned it a bit. It's good Richard! The Bix stories are 'Barton's Beasts' - the first one? With some very nice black and white Jim McCarthy art, and 'Carry on Barton', in slightly ropey colour. I've not read Counterfeit Girl yet but it looks fantastic. The Tribal memories I read at the time and thought it was pretty good. Some chat with Pete Milligan, Jim McCarthy and Richard Elson in the back, all interesting stuff. So an essential buy for me... shame there's no Freaks though (or did this get published in another volume?).

Richard

It wasn't, but The Dead is in volume 134 (issue 126) (with Revere).

IndigoPrime

Shame about those Biz picks. The Carry On one is poor and dated. Oh well.

The Monarch

I am one of the few who like bix but i kinda agree that maybe we should have had freaks instead

JudgeFridericus

Hello everyone. I started this collection late and I'm wondering if it's possible to collected the full runs of the main 2000AD strips (Dredd aside) through this collection. I am thinking of the stories like Strontium Dog, Slaine, ABC Warriors etc. I have to ask because I know 'The Hit' was excluded from the Rogue Trooper volumes and I had to 'double-dip' with the Tales of Nu-Earth publications. Is the same the case with other story lines for the main characters?

I thought I'd ask here because I assume there are some of you who have read the collection from the beginning.

Hackenbush

Quote from: JudgeFridericus on 26 October, 2023, 09:32:04 PMI'm wondering if it's possible to collected the full runs of the main 2000AD strips (Dredd aside) through this collection. I am thinking of the stories like Strontium Dog, Slaine, ABC Warriors etc. I have to ask because I know 'The Hit' was excluded from the Rogue Trooper volumes and I had to 'double-dip' with the Tales of Nu-Earth publications. Is the same the case with other story lines for the main characters?

I thought I'd ask here because I assume there are some of you who have read the collection from the beginning.
Welcome to the board. The collection has a complete run of Slaine, a very nearly complete run of ABC warriors (just the rojaws deadlock story missing), Strontium dog is nearly complete (missing the starlord stories and "A sorry case") but note you need to get the first strontium dogs volume for that.

For other key stories it is mostly complete but it is missing a lot of the lesser "reboots" like Mark Millars Robo hunter and most of the Rogue trooper "friday" stories. Check the wikipedia page for the collection for a listing of the contents.

IndigoPrime

Beyond the above, Nikolai Dante is complete bar (IIRC) one fill-in single published way later in a special. Red Seas is complete.

With the Strontium Dog Starlord strips being omitted and Rebellion's HC being OOP, I half wonder whether we might get that in these final books before the series ends. 

EDIT: Looks like the Starlord strips HC is available again. I'd not spotted that. Regardless, it wouldn't be the worst thing to get those strips into the UC.

castle4

Seems early (even for me), but just received the next two Hatchette volumes, 161 Button Man vol 2 and 162 Flesh, which are Spine 166 and 152 respectively.

Max Headroom

Hackenbush - Which was the Ro-jaws/Deadlock story? I can't seem to place it.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 October, 2023, 03:13:49 PMHackenbush - Which was the Ro-jaws/Deadlock story? I can't seem to place it.

Perhaps he meant Ro-Jaws/Pineapples, as in Tin Man?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: castle4 on 27 October, 2023, 01:53:36 PMSeems early (even for me), but just received the next two Hatchette volumes, 161 Button Man vol 2 and 162 Flesh, which are Spine 166 and 152 respectively.

Can you say please what're the contents for Flesh Vol 2?

I've not heard the best things for more recent Flesh, but the old TPB ended with a cliffhanger so might cherry-pick this volume to finish the story.

Hackenbush

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 27 October, 2023, 04:07:10 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 27 October, 2023, 03:13:49 PMHackenbush - Which was the Ro-jaws/Deadlock story? I can't seem to place it.

Perhaps he meant Ro-Jaws/Pineapples, as in Tin Man?

whoops yes that is what I meant - I don't read the current progs.