Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I said Drive my Car when I meant Licence to Drive. I think the former is thename of the Beatles song played in the film.

Mike Gloady

One of the Coreys is dead?  And nothing to do with whales?  Wow, sci-fi lies to you doesn't it?

Regardless of how someone goes out, that was way too young.  If he'd not been all fucked up on silly pills/powder/syringes maybe he'd have had a better career. He sure as shit would have had a better life.  One of my best friends went as far down as it's possible to go with regard to drug-addiction, he came back.  It's possible and there's nobody living I respect more than him. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 March, 2010, 08:35:24 PM
One of the Coreys is dead?  And nothing to do with whales?  Wow, sci-fi lies to you doesn't it?

Regardless of how someone goes out, that was way too young.  If he'd not been all fucked up on silly pills/powder/syringes maybe he'd have had a better career. He sure as shit would have had a better life.  One of my best friends went as far down as it's possible to go with regard to drug-addiction, he came back.  It's possible and there's nobody living I respect more than him. 

I dont know a thing about this particular actor but i read about this kind of thing over and over again and i have seen the damage that various drug habits can inflict upon a person over the years and i have had friends or aquaintences die because of it so i am torn between having NO sympathy for them because they are degenerates but at the same time i DO have sympathy for them as they are victims because of personal issues or that they are predisposed to addiction.Lots of factors to take into consideration.

I am 50/50 each way really.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Me too. 

Folks who come back have my respect as they've had to deal with (and continue to do so the rest of their lives) both the substance AND the reasons they got into it in the first place.  Most folks DON'T get to come back from that sort of place - it either kills them, they'll kill themselves or, rarely, they'll live a long and unhappy life and die aged 106.  In that sort of case, I try to keep as far away as possible.  Selfish I know, but I'm just not able for folks like that, I've had a few nervous breakdowns of my own and can't cope with other people's shite on top of my own (close family/spouses excepted, obviously).

Whichever way you cut it, that was no kind of age to check out.  Poor fucker.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 12 March, 2010, 11:17:11 PM
Me too.  

Folks who come back have my respect as they've had to deal with (and continue to do so the rest of their lives) both the substance AND the reasons they got into it in the first place.  Most folks DON'T get to come back from that sort of place - it either kills them, they'll kill themselves or, rarely, they'll live a long and unhappy life and die aged 106.  In that sort of case, I try to keep as far away as possible.  Selfish I know, but I'm just not able for folks like that, I've had a few nervous breakdowns of my own and can't cope with other people's shite on top of my own (close family/spouses excepted, obviously).

Whichever way you cut it, that was no kind of age to check out.  Poor fucker.

There used to be a friend of mine who was a very talented musician and artist and intelligent and funny guy who had sporadic spells of indulging in heroin.He would come off it and bounce back but sooner or later would lapse back into it again and one time i saw him in the street in the town centre and he was looking like a complete wreck in the advanced stages of a heavy heroin habit.we talked for a short while but a fter a few minutes i just walked away simply because it was too depressing seeing him like that and i couldnt handle it.

As i was walking away he said "Peter !! dont walk away from me !!" and other things that i forget.That was the last time i saw him alive and i heard about his death through the grapevine and those words and seeing him like that is permanently engrained in my mind and i will never forget it.

Mike Gloady

I know that must be awful.  On the other hand, my close friend who we'll call Adam only managed to get the strength to kick HIS heroin habit after everyone in his life had walked away, parents included.  Now there's NOBODY I know who's more giving and devoted as a friend and family member, because in a weird way those were the people who helped him out of it.  It COULD have easily gone the other way though.......

Devons Daddy

a sad lament

to many of us have a friend from the past, whom left in this way.
the feeling of could i have done something differnt is heavy one,
truth be told,it is likley, no we could not have, but we do carry the burden.

seeing it here,is one more example of the true depth of this site,
2000ad finest collection of art and writing in the world,this site, a fine example of all that is good about the WWW.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Philip K Dick Book A Scanner Darkly has a short list of all the drug addicts Philp used to know and their depressing endings. Several of them died but most were permanatly damaged by drug induced psychosis (including Phil you could argue.) The book also has one of the greatest lines ever written:

For a better day, later on, when people will understand. 

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

HdE

It's one of the great, thorny debates, isn't it?

I've never understood how something so clearly ill perceived by society manages to attract people. It's a sad, sad business.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

Possibly because, when they work, they are fantastic.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mike Gloady

That's the thing nobody involved with the "war on drugs" ever wants to face up to.  Folks do 'em because it makes them feel good.

My degeneracy only stretches to coffee, sugar, chocolate, alcohol and brief teenage canabis experimentation.  Only the first three do ANYTHING for me.  What stopped me trying anything more hardcore?  Simple superiority complex.  It's cheap and nasty, but fuck me it worked.

Peter Wolf

The best advicethat i can give on drug use that is based on personal experience of taking them and seeing others take them to varying degrees is Moderation.I have tried them all except Crack.The majority of them i only ever tried once or twice but Hallucinogens were fantastic but i very much doubt that i will ever take them again because its like been there - done that - no need to keep repeating it.

Thats the best thing to minimise the risks that are inherent with all of them.

A friend of my father has a son who at the time was about 18 who left home to go to university or college.The next thing i heard was this individual had to give up university as he had overindulged in various substances and was now having severe mental problems which are irreversible and he now lives at home and requires constant care.

I think Skunk was one of the substances involved but i dont know what the others were but thats another life totally ruined not to mention the effect on the rest of the family and it must be heartbreaking for them.I hate Skunk as its evil stuff.

I dont think anyone can honestly claim that long term drug use does anyone any good.

vzzbux

The only drugs I have injected are the ones most people have as a child and the ones that didn't get given to us when we were in the Gulf back in 1990 and we all imagined it. But that is another debate to be had.
Totally against all illegal drugs and would never partake in the use.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Goaty

Dunk!

Peter Graves.  :(

I'll be quoting "Ever seen a grown man naked?" with a hint of sadness in my voice for the next few days.
"Trust we"