Main Menu

End of 2000AD Extreme

Started by Dan Dare, 10 July, 2008, 12:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

The Adventurer

Witch World was never reprinted in the EE. 28 was the last chapter of Mean Arena

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IAMTHESYSTEM

Poor old extreme. What with the price of paper,fuel for deliveries ( and poor sales  ) it was a victim of the credit crunch. Shoot the Bankers !
  :angry:
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Grant Goggans

That's right!  It was solicited but never appeared - as were Wolfie Smith and Song of the Surfer.  Sorry, I'm mistaken!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"Poor old extreme. What with the price of paper,fuel for deliveries ( and poor sales  ) it was a victim of the credit crunch. Shoot the Bankers !
  :angry:

Abolish the Illegal Federal Reserve.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dog Deever

Wolfie Smith would have been good too. Haven't read it either.

That's the thing that's been bothering me lately- the possibility of the reprints for the Meg being 'newer' stuff. To my mind, it was that period around the 800-900s that drove away most of 2000ads readers. Sure they picked up one or two undoubtedly (and they may well look back fondly on this era) but most of the 'returned' readers from this period (like me) would be glad never to have to see this period again. With the current retro trend advancing at a steady pace it's only a matter of time before someone says "I'd love to see a M*CH**L FL**SH*R collection" or even a Mark Millar Dredd case file! If those get stuck in with my Meg, I wont be content with just stopping buying- I'll be looking for a refund!
The remit for Extreme was really stories which we're not going to be put into a book format anytime soon. I'd like the Megazine to incorporate this, at first at least. I'd  rather have Extreme type material 'bound into' the Meg than a separate GN of stories that put me off the comic in the first place. Then I won't actually be getting 'more bang for my buck'- I'll be getting the same for twice the price.
Still, we can speculate all we like- till we see what happens it's ultimately pointless.
Shame about Extreme- I have every one of them and with the exception of Revere and Time Flies they were great- 28 out of thirty is a pretty strong record, compare this to the BoS era Megazine.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Dog Deever"Wolfie Smith would have been good too. Haven't read it either.

That's the thing that's been bothering me lately- the possibility of the reprints for the Meg being 'newer' stuff. To my mind, it was that period around the 800-900s that drove away most of 2000ads readers. Sure they picked up one or two undoubtedly (and they may well look back fondly on this era) but most of the 'returned' readers from this period (like me) would be glad never to have to see this period again. With the current retro trend advancing at a steady pace it's only a matter of time before someone says "I'd love to see a M*CH**L FL**SH*R collection" or even a Mark Millar Dredd case file! If those get stuck in with my Meg, I wont be content with just stopping buying- I'll be looking for a refund!
The remit for Extreme was really stories which we're not going to be put into a book format anytime soon. I'd like the Megazine to incorporate this, at first at least. I'd  rather have Extreme type material 'bound into' the Meg than a separate GN of stories that put me off the comic in the first place. Then I won't actually be getting 'more bang for my buck'- I'll be getting the same for twice the price.
Still, we can speculate all we like- till we see what happens it's ultimately pointless.
Shame about Extreme- I have every one of them and with the exception of Revere and Time Flies they were great- 28 out of thirty is a pretty strong record, compare this to the BoS era Megazine.

Isnt it unlikely that flesh for example would be reprinted again as an EE/call it what you like with the Meg ?

One would hope not anyway and i see your point but since the Flesh EE has sold out then its not unrealistic to expect that at some point it would get the proper GN treatment ?

Mind you there is only a finite amount of material that needs reprinting in EE form before the law of diminishing returns start to kick in and the lower tier material that no one wants to see starts to get reprinted in EE form.

So the format has a limited lifespan in the long term unless newer material is reprinted which is not value for money for old and new readers alike.

Its like football leagues in a way.

Some go up ,some go down and some just dont go anywhere and i thought EEs were a safe way of gauging [? ] popularity of a strip before possible 1st division reprinting in proper GN form like all the well known popular stuff that everyone knows.

An example of this would be the Harlem heroes and Inferno in 1 volume on the shelves like the JD case files etc.

Okay it would sell more slowly but eventually it would sell out like a film or album that is a sleeper hit which cover their costs and make money but over a much longer timescale.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Dog Deever"with the exception of Revere [...] they were great
Outside. Now.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "peterwolf"Okay it would sell more slowly but eventually it would sell out like a film or album that is a sleeper hit which cover their costs and make money but over a much longer timescale.
Book sales don't work like that these days. More likely, they wouldn't sell, shops would return them, and Rebellion would be giving away copues of Harlem Heroes trades with letter of the month until the late 2030s.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"
Quote from: "peterwolf"Okay it would sell more slowly but eventually it would sell out like a film or album that is a sleeper hit which cover their costs and make money but over a much longer timescale.
Book sales don't work like that these days. More likely, they wouldn't sell, shops would return them, and Rebellion would be giving away copues of Harlem Heroes trades with letter of the month until the late 2030s.

Damn   !! Everytime i suggest something like this you piss on my bonfire   !!!     [only joking]

I hadnt considered the sale or return angle.Fair point.

"It aint gonna happen !"

I should apply to government to get funding for my [oppressed] minority Interest Group[old school B+W Massimo strips] !! as i have tried every idea short of banging my head against a wall but business and commerce gets me every time !

JUDGE TOM

I will miss the extreme edition very much . I only got the last two issue's . At least there is going to be a free graphic novel with the meg .

Goosegash

Surely the reason the EEs haven't sold well is nowhere bloody stocks them. Even the big Borders in Milton Keynes doesn't carry them, and they have pretty much every other magazine under the sun. In fact, I've only ever found them on sale in one tiny newsagents in Norfolk(which is now closed).