Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD GOES INTO PRODUCTION FALL 2010

Started by Cyber-Matt, 13 May, 2010, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das

Quote from: kraken on 20 July, 2010, 02:36:12 AM
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/07/19/judge-dredd-screenplay-compared-to-die-hard-and-blade-runner/

there is a bit of a yikes factor that our source is MTV. is this who the movie is being positioned for ??

that means mass market 14 year olds.
i hope dredd will not be g-rated pap/
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Grant Goggans

Uh, no...  MTV's Splash Page is one of the best entertainment news sites around.

vzzbux

I would have preferred the cadet name to be Dekker. A solid character that was under used and was [spoiler]incorrectly cut down in Judgement day.
[/spoiler]

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

QuoteBut things take a turn for the worse when Dredd and Anderson find themselves on the run from the Ma-Ma Clang.

Not jumping to conclusions but I don't like the idea of Dredd being "on the run" as that is what all Stallone movies are about and in what way is Anderson utilised? I like the idea of it being set during one night, "Graveyard Shift". I don't like what else is mentioned in the review, if you can call it that since it's rather flimsy and full of useless hyperbole and references to Die hard, Blade Runner and cliches like high-octane and action packed which mean fuck all, but I won't make judgement on the script until I read it or see it.

CraveNoir

Just so we all know what we're talking about:
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/07/details-alex-garlands-judge-dredd.html
Words of the script reviewer:

Imagine DIE HARD taking place within the world of BLADE RUNNER; that's the JUDGE DREDD script offered by Alex Garland. Clocking in at 110 pages, this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay, that is both hardcore and gritty.

MEGA CITY ONE is plagued by a new drug, SLO-MO, it slows everything down and produces visually stunning images, with time that moves at one percent normal.

Dredd has a rookie shadowing him for the night (CASSANDRA ANDERSON), she has some special abilities that the CHIEF JUDGE thinks could be very useful, however her JUDGE APTITUDE test score just put her below a pass. It's up to DREDD to see if she has what it takes to be a Judge and one night to do so.

The pair investigate a multiple homicide in PEACH TREE BLOCK. A place run and controlled by the MA-MA CLANG. After busting one of Ma-Ma's henchmen, Ma-Ma takes control and locks the entire place down, she seals the place with concrete shutters -- and no way out. Ma-Ma also tells everyone within the block to KILL THE JUDGES, or their families will suffer. Ma-Ma is the ultimate force in Peach Trees, more than the law, so everyone complies. Dredd and Anderson have to survive, holding onto their prisoner and try and escape the block. They begin on the ground floor and work their way up the 200 or so floors.

It's a very action heavy script, with some amazing sequences that will make any Dredd fan happy...this is a gritty film, that plays the world we are in as a realistic future, a very dark, unpleasant crime ridden world as Dredd explains 'Tweleve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We respond to around six percent'. The famous 'I am the law' makes a few appearances.

It never felt too long or too short, It's just right. The pace is fantastic and if shot well would make for one visually stunning piece upon release.

There is a very cool sequence told from a junkie's POV high on SLO-MO, the cool visuals of melting images, vibrant colours and a slow raid by Dredd and Anderson will be something very cool to see.

Colin YNWA

I reckon that sounds ok. Not my dream movie but it seems a workable premise.

Radbacker

setting it in just one block is a good way to keep that budget trimmed, just a couple of establishing shots and maybe a flyover at the start to get the city set then down into the gritty action, little bit of street action then into the block.  I like that Anderson has unknown abitlities (PSI) and Ma Ma Clang seems to be able to control the block or maybe bend it to her will (PSI).  Sending the cits after Dreddy gives em a good chance to show quite a few of the Mega city crazes such as Fatties, Uglies etc this is sounding pretty promising.  Introducing Anderson this way could also mean a visit from Death in the sequal should this prove a hit.

Does anyone know is this being shot in 3D or undergoing the dreaded conversion proccess?.

CU RadBacker

TordelBack

While I know it's just press-release speak, the key concern for me is 'gritty' - hopefully this doesn't mean an absence of MC1 kooks, simps, fatties, futsies, batgliders and uglies.  Humour and weirdness (note= not synonyms for Rob Schneider) are a key part of Dredd, and essential to stop him being one more monosyllabic cop in a grim future.

Making Anderson a rookie sidekick hands the mandatory 'character arc' side of things over to her, which is a pleasing idea in that it (hopefully) frees Dredd up from learning the value of friendship and humility, or whatever.  It also raises the possibility of her reporting on what's going on inside Dredd's head without the need for the man himself to emote.  

James Stacey

Sounds like a promising direction. Remember however, a film can change almost beyond recognition even before it starts lensing, then if the studio don't keep their nose out, again totally before they finish. It's a better start than trying to cram almost every element ever of the Dredd story into a shiny codpiece though.

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 20 July, 2010, 09:29:53 AM
It's a better start than trying to cram almost every element ever of the Dredd story into a shiny codpiece though.

Or indeed making a particular 'epic'.  I wonder if the recent (Morrison?  Williams?) Dredd story where his bionic eyes are knocked out was any kind of an inspiration?  More likely both are drawing from the same Die Hard well. 'Dredd stuck ina block' is an interesting idea, in that it emphasises the scarcity of judges and the scale of the city, while separating him from the might of backup without taking him out of the City or putting him at odds with Justice Dept.  Not a bad idea.  See also:  Mutie Block.

The Adventurer

I believe most people agree that the first 10 mintues of the Stalone Dredd were pretty much spot on Judge Dredd.  Seems like this movie is going to be that, for the whole movie.

I approve.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

Sounds.... interesting. It's clear at this point that we're going to see a fairly loose adaptation. As Colin says, it doesn't sound like the ideal Dredd movie, but it sounds pretty good and the limited scope of the plot makes sense considering the budget. I'm sure their plan would be to do a more ambitious, expansive sequel if this one does ok.

Garland seems to have changed the role of the judges slightly - only responding to six percent of crimes doesn't ring true for the comics, and though it does sound overly grim and gritty, I have faith that this will be balanced out by some humour - remember that even 28 Days Later had some light-hearted scenes and comedic moments.

The plot seems very simplistic (the Playlist site compares it to a videogame  :-\) but I'm sure this is deliberate - as the film is going to be 3d I guess they're going for spectacle and are keeping the story bare-bones to not alienate non-fans.

I'm slightly concerned about the apparent use of the "I Am The Law!" catchphrase, and also the cheesy slang phrases like 'Ma Ma Clan' and 'Slo-mo'. Not sure why they didn't just carry some slang or villains over from the comics, but the mystery script reviewer does say that there are a few references for the fans in there, which sounds promising.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 July, 2010, 09:13:18 AM
Making Anderson a rookie sidekick hands the mandatory 'character arc' side of things over to her, which is a pleasing idea in that it (hopefully) frees Dredd up from learning the value of friendship and humility, or whatever.  It also raises the possibility of her reporting on what's going on inside Dredd's head without the need for the man himself to emote.  

Yeah I think this use of Anderson has is pretty encouraging possiblities. We get a good character who Dredd can introduce the harsh realisties of Mega City One too and the audience can empathise with, leaving Dredd to be the hard bastard of the piece.

As long as we don't close on the line.

'Oh Cassie I've been such a fool and you've openned my eyes to what a grumpy old grump I've been. Giz a hug'

This could work.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2010, 09:54:52 AM
'Oh Cassie I've been such a fool and you've openned my eyes to what a grumpy old grump I've been. Giz a hug'

'Course unless i misremember, Anderson is the only judge Dredd has ever directly expressed affection for.  Where's Logan/Perkins with a Prog ref and a scanned page when you need him?

mygrimmbrother