Main Menu

ECBT 2000ad Episode 28

Started by flintlockjaw, 12 July, 2010, 06:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlockjaw

In a special mini-sode (is that a word even?) Flint goes it alone to look at prog1689 and reviews some of his latest 2000AD Trade purchases

http://traffic.libsyn.com/geeksyndicate/ECBT2000ad_Ep_28.mp3

bluemeanie

Actually this is how he records all the podcasts. Usually I just edit myself in at the end like Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: bluemeanie on 13 July, 2010, 08:48:34 AM
Actually this is how he records all the podcasts. Usually I just edit myself in at the end like Jar Jar Binks in Episode 1

"Me'sa happy you likesa comic, Mr Flinty!"

And there was me thinking that was a Welsh accent.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Orlok

Good solo effort, especially the valiant attempt at Sin/Sein/feld/field. Seriously, listeners should have a drinking game based on your pronunciation of it.
"Flint got it right...everybody down your drinks!" ;)

I fully agree with the comments about Wagner's work on SD, but for me the problem remains that it all just feels a betrayal so I'm having difficulty accepting it.
If The Final Solution had been framed like Origins with Feral recounting the events and talking of Johnny's sacrifice after the fact I can understand the switcharound. However it wasn't. The story we were give by Grant and MacNeil was framed as "real time" and had Johnny ripped open and burnt to a frazzle. Remember the gateway needed a sacrifice to open so that had to come from somewhere...
To me it's like having JW do a sequel to Blade Runner and writing Roy Batty back in saying that Deckard made up everything that happened on the roof. I don't doubt that it would be powerfully written (I've come to expect no less from him) but the inclusion and retcon would seem a betrayal of the character's sacrifice.
The death of Johnny Alpha remains a bold and shocking step that I remember got me back into Strontium Dog (I immediately went out and bought a load of QC reprints), so perhaps I hold it in too high a regard.

Anyway, look forward to the podcasts so keep up the excellent work, dude.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Orlok on 19 July, 2010, 01:50:22 AM
...especially the valiant attempt at Sin/Sein/feld/field. Seriously, listeners should have a drinking game based on your pronunciation of it.
"Flint got it right...everybody down your drinks!" ;)

But the idea of a drinking game is to get drunk - everybody would be stone cold sober with those rules!  :D

I'm glad that these are continuing while the Welsh Wonder skives off for a bit, but I think they fall a bit flat as a solo effort - it needs somebody else to bounce ideas off, spark a discussion, or just trade childish insults with.

Bring back Stacey!

Oh, and I do think you were a bit harsh on [brainfart - can't remember the name] the SD artist who did the Feral stories. It was a weird style, not to everyone's taste, but I wouldn't say it was incompetent. I actually quite liked it!

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 July, 2010, 02:06:00 PM

I'm glad that these are continuing while the Welsh Wonder skives off for a bit, but I think they fall a bit flat as a solo effort - it needs somebody else to bounce ideas off, spark a discussion, or just trade childish insults with.

Bring back Stacey!

This. I'd have thought it would have felt a bit weird too, sitting at your computer talking to yourself. I reckon I'd feel a bit of a wazzock. Even radio DJs have their producers. Maybe thats just me.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 July, 2010, 02:06:00 PM
Oh, and I do think you were a bit harsh on [brainfart - can't remember the name] the SD artist who did the Feral stories. It was a weird style, not to everyone's taste, but I wouldn't say it was incompetent.

I would. I've told this story before but when I was using the Dredd and Stronty case files to try and lure a mate back to 2000ad he very nearly refused to read the conclusion to Strontium Dog because the artwork was so bad and as big a twoth apologist as I can sometimes be I couldn't do anything but agree with him. It really was depressingly bad and considering that after Dredd Johnny was probably the progs biggest star he deserved so much better for what was, after all, intended as his swansong. Thank God they saw sense before the end and we got the majesty of Colin MacNeils stuff.

This is a debate that has been gone over before but I reckon it bears repeating that in a story that relied on Norm/Mutant conflict, you'd probably be better off with artwork where you can tell them apart.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

bluemeanie

Just to give you LOVELY PEOPLE an update....

Um

Oh yeah, Flint doing, or maybe has done, the next one without me but I'm pretty sure he's calling in "The Whittle" (tm) to do co-monkey duties.

I'm not being totally lazy though coz tomorrow I'm doing another creator interview one. Creators plural actually. Been asked to keep the details hush hush as its about an unannounced thing (which sucks as I now have to come up with my own questions instead of getting you lot to do it for me) but as soon as I get the nod I'll be posting it up.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: bluemeanie on 19 July, 2010, 02:35:55 PM
I'm not being totally lazy though coz tomorrow I'm doing another creator interview one. Creators plural actually. Been asked to keep the details hush hush as its about an unannounced thing (which sucks as I now have to come up with my own questions instead of getting you lot to do it for me) but as soon as I get the nod I'll be posting it up.

Now you see that there is an exciting tease. In my mind this is of course the TV show has now got a station onboard and its details for that... oh the workings of my fevered imagination!

radiator

The are some great individual panels in Simon Harrison's Stront work, but overall the guy wasn't a good storyteller. Though he was/is a good artist with an interesting style, personally I don't think that style is really suitable for comic work, and reading The Final Solution is pretty tough going as a result. When Colin Macniel takes over the story at the end it's a big relief - if only he'd drawn the whole thing.

Orlok

I fully agree. I think that Simon Harrison had an interetsting style that perfectly suited some stories (Bradley for example) but not something like Strontium Dog. I found myself going back over panels to make sense of what I was seeing which detracted from the enjoyment of the story and the free flow of the tale.

bluemeanie

Recorded my interview thing this evening, had loads of fun which hopefully will make for an entertaining listen not "Get to the point you idiot"

Should get it ready to go up as soon as the project its discussing is officially announced.

Just checking, you guys are cool that the "interviews" with 2000AD creators are more blokes in the pub bullshitting about comics than serious journalism, right?
Hope so coz thats all we got.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: flintlockjaw on 12 July, 2010, 06:28:49 PM
In a special mini-sode (is that a word even?) Flint goes it alone to look at prog1689 and reviews some of his latest 2000AD Trade purchases

I enjoyed that. I was particularly heartened to hear that it's not just me that found Johnny Alpha's uniform an absolute bastard to draw!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: bluemeanie on 21 July, 2010, 12:19:38 AM

Should get it ready to go up as soon as the project its discussing is officially announced.

Was there even a hint at when that annoucement might be? I mean can I be blindy optimistic and think it might be this weekend at San Deigo?

Pete Wells

Yup, enjoyable stuff, cheers Flint.

With respect though, it really suffered as a solo thing, there definately needs to be two people doing it. Poor Fliny sounded kinda flat too bless him.

bluemeanie

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 July, 2010, 08:39:49 AM
Was there even a hint at when that annoucement might be? I mean can I be blindy optimistic and think it might be this weekend at San Deigo?

Oh, its nothing San Deigo size (I dont think). Its a new ongoing 9 parter coming up in the prog that the writer and artist were cool enough to send me the first part of and come on and talk about it.