Main Menu

2000ad's Circulation figures!

Started by EddieHitler, 17 July, 2010, 11:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: House of Usher on 19 July, 2010, 10:35:29 PM
Where's the "line animation of the characters in Prog 889" I've heard mentioned? Those aren't the same adverts.

I saw that once, quite early on one morning in 1994. I've gone looking for it online a few times, but never been able to find it.

I'm more interested in finding one of the adverts for Scream! that were shown ten years earlier, though.

Bluecube

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 July, 2010, 11:04:40 PM
Quote from: Bluecube on 19 July, 2010, 10:52:01 PM
Expenses!

Errr, no. The wholesale price to someone like WHS is 50% (ish) of the retail (cover) price. That is absolutely not an expense in the accounting sense of the word. Honest. No company would recognize its wholesale sales at full retail value and then apply an expense after the fact equal to the wholesale discount; you'd recognize the sale at the reduced revenue figure.

Cheers!

Jim

Oh bollocks. Yes you're quite right. To be fair I've had a few bottles of beer and am on the wine now...
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

My eBooks are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

vzzbux

I hate these kind of threads. I am quite happy in my bubble not worrying about whether our beloved will fold. Just keep churning out those thrills until the day I die and beyond as, I am quite sure, my son and hopefully by daughter will have the torch passed on to them when they leave home.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 19 July, 2010, 10:13:54 PM
In fact, there's only one way to settle this. As a forum, we should take it upon ourselves to catalogue every single newsagent outlet in the country, divide them between us, then over the course of a week, monitor them.

We go in, en masse, on Wednesday morning when they get the delivery, count the number they put on the shelf, then go back the following Tuesday at closing time and count how many they have left. Then buy all the remaining copies, obviously.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

SBT

I am in but i only know 1 newsagents that sell it close by as thats where i buy mine from so thats no problem at all.Then there are 2 branches of WHS.Other than that i would need to do a round trip of every newsagents in the vicinity to find out who stocks it and who doesnt.

The other question is exactly how many subscribers are there ?
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 19 July, 2010, 09:48:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 July, 2010, 09:37:58 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 19 July, 2010, 09:26:43 PM
And that's just based on three newsagents in a town with lots.

Well, (15 copies / 80,000) * 60,000,000 = 11,250 if we then multiply by lots/3 we get to the actual circulation figure.

Phase 3 = Profit!

:-)

Jim, your maths is full of wrong! You forgot to factor in my standing order, the other bloke's, and the "several" at Smiths (which I'm taking at 6)- that gives us 17+2+6=25. I'm then doubling that to take into consideration the other (checks Yellow pages) 28 newsagents in the area (all are small, not WHS sized, so I'm doubling at a conservative estimate) making 50 copies shifted in my area. Plus or minus one or two subscribers.

50/80000*60000000= 37,500. Which I can now confidently state is the current circulation. So all is fine and we can stop worrying.

SBT

How do SBT and JC work out figures like that ??

I am glad someone else can do it because i am totally useless at maths.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Bluecube

Don't worry - just take the blue pill   :lol:
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

House of Usher

Quote from: Bluecube on 19 July, 2010, 11:39:19 PM

The blue one? I you sure? I know what the blue one does and I'm not sure it's useful in any circumstance related here.
:lol:
STRIKE !!!

Bluecube

Depends what context you're taking it in!
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Bluecube on 19 July, 2010, 11:39:19 PM

Its too late as i chose to take the red pill.  :lol:
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 19 July, 2010, 11:36:24 PM
How do SBT and JC work out figures like that ??

I am glad someone else can do it because i am totally useless at maths.

Ah but this isn't any old Maths, this is Space Maths.

Van Dom

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 July, 2010, 11:06:05 PM

I'm more interested in finding one of the adverts for Scream! that were shown ten years earlier, though.

Ohh I remember those ads. Still remember the night the ad for the first issue came on tv, complete with a free plastic spider or something. I HAD to have it. Went outside to my dad who was watering the garden and pleaded with him for my pocket money early - and double - then walked down to the corner shop, fully expecting to find the comic there, just cos the tv ad had said "out now!" And you know what - it was there!!!

Scream was great.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

SmallBlueThing

Van dom: very similar story here. I remember the excitement around the first issue of scream like it was yesterday. Great comic. Plastic fangs! The gift!
sbt

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Van Dom on 19 July, 2010, 11:57:49 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 July, 2010, 11:06:05 PM

Ohh I remember those ads. Still remember the night the ad for the first issue came on tv, complete with a free plastic spider or something. I HAD to have it. Went outside to my dad who was watering the garden and pleaded with him for my pocket money early - and double - then walked down to the corner shop, fully expecting to find the comic there, just cos the tv ad had said "out now!" And you know what - it was there!!!

Scream was great.

The free gift was a set of Vampire teeth, the spider was with the second issue.

Colin YNWA

I'm sure everyone is already aware of this but no harm in mentioning just in case. Those remembering 'Scream' fondly can check out a brillant collection of '13th Floor' stories produced by our own Maryanddavid. Its fantastic.

DDD thanks for posting those adverts never seen them before and a couple are really good.

I, Cosh

As ever, this thread can be summed up thusly: if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

But carry on.
We never really die.

ming

Quote from: House of Usher on 19 July, 2010, 09:40:54 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 19 July, 2010, 09:33:33 PM
Do you know, the money spent on that ad campaign was SO wasted that even I, a dyed-in-the-wool fan of a lifetime standing who actively HUNTS THIS STUFF down, have never seen any of it! Last time I checked it wasn't even on YouTube. I genuinely have no idea how this has passed me by, and would love to see it. Where was it shown?

It was shown on Sky Sports and some other channels where the marketing knobheads thought they would find an audience of 10-12 year old boys. I never saw it either. If it were on the internet somewhere you'd think there would be a link to it from this site, wouldn't you?
:|

I think the Sky Sports adverts were also designed to fit in with the regular timing of televised football matches, thus bringing in new readers from the target demographic... Unfortunate then, that the adverts went out despite it not being bloody football season*

Another fine market research exercise mentioned by David Bishop is the £15,000 spent on consultants to look into who reads 2000AD.  The answer came back, with 2000AD readers being labelled as 'undefinables'.

* At least that's what I remember reading in Thrill Power Overload.