Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I'm a fan of the slasher franchise films but have never tried marathoning any of them - watching any random F13 or Halloween or NoES typically gives me joy (OK, not F13 part 8, I fully agree that is the WORST), but I can imagine if I watched them in a row they'd all get tedious. I think it helps that I'm still coasting on the fumes of having seen the first instalment of each series first, and young enough that I remember finding each one utterly terrifying (OK, so not most of F13 but that ending remains perhaps the sigle most effective jump I've experienced).

That said, I am totally unsure if I'm excited about Halloween Kills or not.

repoman

You've still got Freddy vs Jason to watch I guess?  That's quite good fun.

None of it is high art but I find a lot of the Ft13s entertaining where as I find Halloween a bit too plodding and predictable. 

Deffo check out Hatchet.  But maybe give yourself a few months off from slasher flicks first.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

...and I guess you *have* to watch the remake, don't you? Though no one would judge you if you didn't.

But I really would urge you to go to YouTube and see NEVER HIKE ALONE, NEVER HIKE IN THE SNOW and JASON RISING. At least you will see that there are others out there who like these movies, but wish they were better.

SBT

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 11 October, 2021, 03:31:16 PM
You've still got Freddy vs Jason to watch I guess?  That's quite good fun.

I watched it when I watched the Elm Street movies.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 October, 2021, 03:59:53 PM
...and I guess you *have* to watch the remake, don't you? Though no one would judge you if you didn't.

I thought about it, but I didn't watch the Elm Street remake so I won't watch the Friday remake.  I need something different.

But I really would urge you to go to YouTube and see NEVER HIKE ALONE, NEVER HIKE IN THE SNOW and JASON RISING. At least you will see that there are others out there who like these movies, but wish they were better.

I will certainly be checking them out at some point.

Tjm86

Gave Wahlberg's Infinite a try the other night.  Lasted about 15 minutes and that was only while waiting for the spuds to finish.  I'd call it a car-crash of a movie but IIRC there wasn't much else aside from car chases, including one through a police station for some bizarre reason.

pictsy

The Lighthouse

I'm glad this was good after the slog that was Friday the 13th.  The unreliability of what we are being shown and what is being said is marvellous and well crafted.  As a viewer I related to the paranoid delusions of the characters and I had a blast.  Defoe puts in a excellent performance, one of his best yet and Patterson does a wonderful job keeping up and that's no mean feat.  Patterson definitely demonstrates he's got the chops.

The visuals a hauntingly sublime.  The standard def ratio is a bold choice and the result is staggeringly effectively.  The inky black and white of the film sets the mood so well and the framing is just amazing.

There are other films I've watched this year that I had a more fun time with, but this is one of the best made films overall that I've seen in a while.  It deserves the praise it gets and I'm glad I watched it.

I'm going to watch the Child's Play movies next (the ones names Child's Play, no remake).

rogue69

Night of the animated dead

Basicly a shot for shot remake of the original made with cheap basic animation and actors just reading the lines with hardly any emotion. Makes you think why did they bother, just watch the original it's a better film.

Shame there was problems on ownership of the original film so no one endedup with the rights allowing people to reuse the name and make so called remakes that insult the original

pictsy

Child's Play

This was enjoyable.  The interplay between Andy and Chucky had very disturbing implications.  It made for an interesting slasher with just the right amount of silly.  I was surprised how watchable the film ended up being.

The representation of destitution and homelessness was gross and unnecessary.  The film didn't need to punch down like that to do what it needed to.  That's about my only real gripe.  I had a lot of fun with this one.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 11 October, 2021, 06:58:20 PM

I thought about it, but I didn't watch the Elm Street remake so I won't watch the Friday remake.  I need something different.

I didn't expect much from the Elm Street remake but it's actually very good.  Mainly because it changes Freddy from being a wise-cracking dickhead into a really malevolent force.  It's very effective.

pictsy

Child's Play 2

I think this one would be better on a second viewing, now I know that certain annoying characters don't stick around for the duration.  It's just a fun little murderous romp.  I like the new character Kyle and Andy is a compelling character really holding the whole thing together.  It's really good when a child can act, especially if they are front and centre.

The storytelling is weaker in this one, but it's no big deal.

I really like how dumb the Good Guy doll factory is.  It's all bright colours like a factory making toys for kids needs to explicitly signal that it's making a kids product.  For all the stupidity and lurid colours, the film has extremely dark implications that go beyond that of the first film.  Chucky isn't the real horror of these films, it's the life changing situations Chucky causes Andy that is the true horror.

milstar

The Killer Elite

Not to be confused with Peckinpah's film of the same name. This one has solid cast. Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Robert DeNiro and Dominic Purcell. The action is good, and the set-up is good, but plot comes as bit incredulous, predictable and goes off the rails in the last ten minutes. The film also is marked as being based on a true story. Jason has to kill a three/four SAS members, while being pursued by shadowy organization and their psychopathic enforcer, Clive Owen. Jason and Clive have amusing fight in a hospital [spoiler](which ends by Jason punching Clive in the nuts, make out of that what you will).[/spoiler] Reportedly, the story is set in 1980, after Oman conflict, which serves as MacGufffin of the film and of which I am totally clueless about. Having said however, I didn't notice 1980s aesthetics (except maybe cars and Purcell's haircut), otherwise, it has absolutely modern and Jason Statham's feel.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Barrington Boots

The Dead Don't Die

Very Jarmusch-y, perhaps too much so: felt very self indulgent, sort of meandering along with some beautifully realised characters whose almost every action has no significance to the overall plot. I like his films normally but this was a disappointment.
Excellent cast, as you'd expect, most of whom do nothing really of note and seem oddly unenthusiastic throughout. The 4th wall breaking is amusing at the start but felt jarring at the end.There's a few funny / clever bits and a lot of nods to NotLD but overall I found this to be a bit of a waste of time. The 'we're all consumerist zombies' message is pretty tired but I did like the idea that when the world ends it won't be exciting and epic but rather confused people dying undramatically.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Chucky 3

Less enthused by this one.  The setting and ideas are under-utilised, to the extent that this one just fizzles out.  In the end it is just not as engaging or fun.  The beginning (sans Chucky's contrived resurrection) is the best part of the film.  It's not quite as disappointing as it could have been, but that's largely due to sequels frequently offering diminishing returns in quality.

I have no idea what I'll watch tonight.  I'm not doing the Chucky movies and I haven't decided whether I should revisit the Hellraiser franchise.  I'm sure I'll find something.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: pictsy on 15 October, 2021, 10:28:01 AM
I haven't decided whether I should revisit the Hellraiser franchise.

Watch the first one and then leave it at that!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 October, 2021, 10:30:14 AM
Watch the first one and then leave it at that!

The last time I watched the first one I was very disappointed that it wasn't as good as I remembered it being (loved it as kid, along with the second film).  It's been a long while since I've watched any of the films and I am somewhat curious as to what I would think of 1,2,4 and 5 now.  3 is shit and that'll be unchanging.  So if I'm going to watch one, I'll watch seven more.

That being said, I have seen the first five and I'm not sure whether I want to watch films I've seen before for my horror marathon.