Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

The sheriff's mum's a full blown witch. Which is fine. Richard the Lionheart wasn't there either (and wasn't Scottish), that crusade never happened (then), Hadrian's Wall isn't south of Nottingham, which isn't on the coast etc. etc.

It's all made up. But sure, pick on the black guy and then make sweeping statements about historical fact as if you're some kind of authority on the subject. (Given your track record, I'd suggest that history is not your area of expertise.)

---

Records show that black men and women have lived in Britain in small numbers since at least the 12th century.

---

Why did I respond? It's a forum. If you don't want responses you should write a diary.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Radbacker

Dune

Just wow, that was one of the most cinematic experiences I've ever had but damn what a case of blue balls 😆 what the hell would have happened if they didn't green light part 2 as this definitely just ended in a completely unsatisfactory way.  I'm pretty sure they had it part 2 green lit all along and were just telling people it wasn't to drive up ticket sales because this is definitely just half a movie.

CU Radbacker

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 November, 2021, 02:03:06 AM
The sheriff's mum's a full blown witch. Which is fine. Richard the Lionheart wasn't there either (and wasn't Scottish), that crusade never happened (then), Hadrian's Wall isn't south of Nottingham, which isn't on the coast etc. etc.

It's all made up. But sure, pick on the black guy and then make sweeping statements about historical fact as if you're some kind of authority on the subject. (Given your track record, I'd suggest that history is not your area of expertise.)

---

Records show that black men and women have lived in Britain in small numbers since at least the 12th century.

---

Why did I respond? It's a forum. If you don't want responses you should write a diary.

I have right to pick up what I dislike, that definitely isn't going to be a witch. Which, I am sure existed then, but weren't called witches. But all these are just trite overlooks. Nobody mentions that telescopes weren't existing back then, for example. I don't claim i am some authority figure on the subject, but so definitely isn't BBC. On which will take me painfully more to convince me otherwise. But this is response from the developers of Kingdom Come, which can be fully applied to the medieval England as well.

Some publications and websites accused the developers of "whitewashing" for not including a noticeable amount of people of color in the game in the fifteenth century in Central Europe, and for the game's portrayal of Cumans and Hungarians as cruel invaders.[35] The developers responded by asserting that the game is historically accurate since people of color did not inhabit early 15th-century Bohemia in significant numbers.[36]

European media also responded to some aspects of the criticism. A commentator at the Czech newspaper Lidové noviny called the accusations "out of place" and claimed that most Europeans would respond that there were very few, if any, black people in early 15th-century central Bohemia.[37] To evaluate if non-white people lived in 15th-century Bohemia, the German magazine M! Games asked scholars at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. According to them, there were at most Turkic peoples, like Cumans (who appear in the game as enemies), but otherwise the presence of non-whites is "questionable".

No, my question was more hypothetical. Why is response there by people I know they'll disagree with me.

P. S I never have claimed black people did not participate in ww2, I pointed at the obvious; they just wasn't at every known battlefield.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

CalHab

That doesn't really answer Funt Solo's point which, and forgive me for paraphrasing, is that the Robin Hood film is a fantasy. There is little to no "realism" in the film.

In any case, the film also has a whole sequence showing how he ended up in England. The presence or otherwise of meaningful quantities of people of colour in medieval England is irrelevant to this. Even if the film was trying to be "realistic" which, just to be absolutely clear, its not.

ming

Quote from: pictsy on 31 October, 2021, 11:54:13 PM
The Mist

The Mist.  More like fucking shit.

In german the title would translate as 'The Crap' so I guess they did that job for you. (I remember the old chestnut about marketing issues with the Rolls Royce Silver Mist in Germany...)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: ming on 02 November, 2021, 08:53:43 AM
The Mist

In german the title would translate as 'The Crap' so I guess they did that job for you. (I remember the old chestnut about marketing issues with the Rolls Royce Silver Mist in Germany...)

But what an ending...
Lock up your spoons!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 November, 2021, 09:40:32 AM
Quote from: ming on 02 November, 2021, 08:53:43 AM
The Mist

But what an ending...

Films, like music, are entirely subjective. What some people might consider a masterpiece is looked upon with bafflement by others unconvinced of its merit. The Mist is probably the best post 9/11 film yet made IMHO a haunting horror show of America torn apart from without and within. We should debate the various quality of movies and TV shows as a second opinion might reveal something you missed. The films I never got anything from? John Carpenters Prince Of Darkness and probably its polar opposite ET: The Extraterrestrial. I couldn't care for either of them.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Wait until Millstar finds out Jesus wasn't white either.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Or Adam and Steve.

---

You can't really dismiss E.T. out of hand and maintain any filmic credibility*.

*I'm sort of joking.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

I saw E.T. at the cinema when it first came out. It bored the pants off me and I've never watched it again. Mind you, I never did claim any measure of filmic credibility, so that's all right...

Also, John Wick is rubbish - so I guess that proves it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Nah - I was just being silly - something having academic or historical merit (or even widespread popularity) doesn't mean that people will or should like it.

On the other hand - you didn't like John Wick? What's wrong with you etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

repoman

John Wick on paper should be exactly my sort of film but it just isn't.  They're kind of boring to be honest.

M.I.K.

Quote from: milstar on 02 November, 2021, 07:10:56 AM
I have right to pick up what I dislike, that definitely isn't going to be a witch. Which, I am sure existed then, but weren't called witches.

You are incorrect, (again).

milstar

Quote from: M.I.K. on 02 November, 2021, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: milstar on 02 November, 2021, 07:10:56 AM
I have right to pick up what I dislike, that definitely isn't going to be a witch. Which, I am sure existed then, but weren't called witches.

You are incorrect, (again).

Could I safely take you never heard for alchemists?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.