Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Also, MCU be wishin' it was this dope, yo:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

That's a Disney movie, isn't it? So isn't it part of the MCU?
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks to Dr Strange dabbling with the multiverse, everything is now part of the MCU.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Disney part funded the (woeful) 1992 remake of Ultraman, rebranded as The Ultimate Hero, and whats more Marvel are doing a series of comic book reimagining's of the 60's-70's Ultra series.

So yes, my favourite cape franchise is technically part of the MCU too. I hand my snob card in with shame.

Hawkmumbler

ZULU

Caught this on 35mm last night and you know what, still a banger. Its almost a miracle such a weirdly out-and-proud anticolonial, antiwar could be made on the British crown no less in its time. Stands the test of time better than most, and the print was lush.

paddykafka

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 May, 2022, 08:58:07 AM
ZULU

Caught this on 35mm last night and you know what, still a banger. Its almost a miracle such a weirdly out-and-proud anticolonial, antiwar could be made on the British crown no less in its time. Stands the test of time better than most, and the print was lush.

I totally agree with you on this. A truly incredible film indeed. It is also worth noting the immense respect that Chief Buthelezi - who liaised with the producers whilst filming took place - had for Stanley Baker (who did all that he could, to ensure that the native population who worked on the movie were treated fairly and decently).

The Legendary Shark

It is one of my personal favourites, despite modern sensibilities and my general dislike of jingoism it does manage to depict the bravery of both sides.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

"Hitch. Hitch? You're alive. I've seen you."
"Oh am I? Thanks Sir."
"NO JOKERS PLEASE."

edgeworthy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 May, 2022, 07:08:23 PM
"Hitch. Hitch? You're alive. I've seen you."
"Oh am I? Thanks Sir."
"NO JOKERS PLEASE."
"Do you think the Welsh can't do better than that, Owen?"
"Well, they've got a very good bass section, mind, but no top tenors that's for sure."

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Took my kids to this last night, and loved it. Not least for the performances of Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Kuan, who are both magnificent throughout (and Yeoh may possibly be the most beautiful woman in cinema).

It may have been a tad overlong, and the pacing may have faltered a bit towards the end, but it was truly wonderful.

But I'm also damn sure I never want to see it again. Odd that.

SBT

CalHab

I made a trip to my local independent cinema to see the remaster of Robocop (1987). What an absolute delight. Verhoeven revels in taking everything up to 11. So many classic moments that I've finally seen on the big screen, and now in glorious detail.

Observations from this umpteenth viewing: Peter Weller looks and acts like an alien. It's totally disconcerting but works well within the context of the film. Nancy Allen is brilliant in this and her Officer Lewis neatly avoids all the usual tough girl cliches, while being believable as a cop and very able to handle herself. And, of course, Kurtwood Smith is the real star of this film.

pictsy

The Green Knight

I liked it.  Vaguely remembered some talk on here about it so I thought I'd give it a go.  I really appreciated it.  Really good presentation and easy to follow.  Very stark and striking visuals.  100% my kinda movie!

Rara Avis

Alien Nation (1986?)

Stands up surprisingly well. It's like District 9 before District 9. Well worth a rewatch if you haven't seen recently or a watch full stop if you've never seen. Dare I say forgotten sci fi classic. Well maybe not on this forum.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Rara Avis on 27 May, 2022, 06:19:45 PM
Alien Nation (1986?)

Stands up surprisingly well. It's like District 9 before District 9. Well worth a rewatch if you haven't seen recently or a watch full stop if you've never seen. Dare I say forgotten sci fi classic. Well maybe not on this forum.

I remember enjoying it at the time and the subsequent spin off TV series (but that's probably of it's time now)
Maybe try and catch the film sometime soon.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Rara Avis

I had forgotten about the tv show but the film is great. Any other forgotten 80s gems worth a watch?