Main Menu

Phoenix comic

Started by AlexF, 14 April, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well this is interesting YouTube launched a load of 'YouTube originals' on Friday (13th May) and one of them was apparently The Phoenix's own Corpse Talk

https://youtu.be/rqZQ2wMPtO0

There are a number of the videos up already - though I had to do a specific seearch to find them. Well done to Adam and Lisa Murphy!

As learnt from Downthetubes

https://downthetubes.net/corpse-talk-joins-the-youtube-originals-animated-line-up-this-month/?fbclid=IwAR38dyqj8FYQBJKN_R_w5LpE5umCCBVyDt3UCGd3kafp5KY3HHPaL6bcC9c

IndigoPrime

The child's a massive Horrible Histories fan and loves Corpse Talk, so this seems like a cert to get her watching something new. I barely see the comic these days, alas. Very occasionally, I get to flick through a new issue if it's lurking and sneak a read of the latest slice of Jamie Smart madness.

Speaking of Jamie Smart, if you have kids and an hour of spare time on the 29th, this: https://www.storymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/jamie-smart-live-stream-draw-along

CalHab

Great news. My daughter loves their Lost Tales book and, in fact, was reading it this morning when she should have been getting ready for school.

CalHab

We watched the first two of those Corpse Talk shorts last night (Cleopatra and Mozart). They went down very well! Good quality stuff.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 May, 2022, 08:30:55 AM
The child's a massive Horrible Histories fan and loves Corpse Talk, so this seems like a cert to get her watching something new. I barely see the comic these days, alas. Very occasionally, I get to flick through a new issue if it's lurking and sneak a read of the latest slice of Jamie Smart madness.

Speaking of Jamie Smart, if you have kids and an hour of spare time on the 29th, this: https://www.storymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/jamie-smart-live-stream-draw-along

Damn the boy is has a football game at 11 we won't be able watch.

Colin YNWA

Anyone else noticed the drop in the amount of strip content? I've noticed a few bits of what seems like budget saving over the last few years but its never been as pronounced as it has over the last few weeks. We're down to just two longer (4-5 page strips), a Jamie Smart - or two if we are very lucky! and a couple or three one pagers. Some of the strips as also written by editorial if I'm any judge and you can feel the quality dip in those.

The rest is well crafted stuff, puzzle page, posters, art tutorial and other editorial but you can feel the corners being cut. Even the shorts have dropped from 4 to 3 strips, with very clumsy boarders filling the gaps.

I hope its not a permanent thing and just helping the comic get through a pince point. This is still a great product and I'm a long way from dropping off ... and the boy still enjoys it and the sub is going nowhere but I just hope the comic is doing okay. After 554 issues this comic should be being lauded all over and isn't. That really needs to change.

IndigoPrime

Yep. I noticed it's getting increasingly slight. A pity. It's still just about the only comic my local WHSmith doesn't stock. Frustrating.

Colin YNWA

Feels safe to say this now. Saw this week's issue on the kitchen table last night and YEP completely fell for the April's Fool gag.

Well done The Phoenix Team very, very well done joke. One of the best April's Fools I can remember!

Do wonder how it will affect off shelf sales though!

IndigoPrime

Yeah. Very bold for the newsstand. But perfect for the subs. And they went all-out in the actual comic.

Colin YNWA

Not read it yet. Doing a catch up tonight with any luck...

AlexF

Ooh, gonna have to raid my daughter's copy, you've got me intrigued!!

levers

Does Waitrose or any other high street store still stock this?

IndigoPrime

In theory. I've never personally seen it in a Waitrose. The only place I've seen the comic in the wild is WHSmith (and only in Reading) and one of the massive Waterstones in London. We've found the subs solid though. It's more reliable than 2000 AD these days. And the one time we didn't get a copy, one was dispatched via next-day delivery.

Colin YNWA

Yeah as a sub I don't look out for it in the wild but have stumbled across it in Waitrose and Smiths from time to time.

levers

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2023, 11:53:06 AMIn theory. I've never personally seen it in a Waitrose. The only place I've seen the comic in the wild is WHSmith (and only in Reading) and one of the massive Waterstones in London. We've found the subs solid though. It's more reliable than 2000 AD these days. And the one time we didn't get a copy, one was dispatched via next-day delivery.
Thanks. Will head to Waterstones next time I'm in central London. My eldest is at an age where she'll happily read a Beano, but would be good to be able to get the Phoenix on an occasional basis. Managed to order volumes 2 and 3 of the collections for cheap from World of Books.