Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

No reason this film can't go for gritty realism and a later one have an undead dimension hopper in it.

If Death ever is in a sequel I want him to be as per the comic.  An undead dimension hopping nutter.  I don't want to see him in the first sequel, Dredd 3 or later.

Two or mor films after bring him back with his buddies - or (getting way ahead of myself) a Judge Death spin off.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Michaelvk

I just hope that if that's what they do, they don't start piling on the villains a la Spiderman.. That ruins it.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Gonk

An undead dimension hopper? It would be like Dredd meets Dr Who meets flesheating zombies. Good on paper, difficult to pull off on the big screen without it looking like a Mel Brooks production.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Bat King

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 February, 2012, 03:03:37 PM
I just hope that if that's what they do, they don't start piling on the villains a la Spiderman.. That ruins it.
Fully agree, that is exactly why I wouldn't want it in the next film. Just some naughty Cits or Mutants or Rico, etc.

I'd rather see a film version of Cursed Earth to Judge Death (unless it was a spin off and they can do Death fully hardcore Deathy).  Obviously a Cursed Earth film would have almost none of the comic version in - or it would be 26 films long...  But plot that would work:
Bio-plague released in Mega City 2 by terrorists.
Dredd leads a rescue mission.
Spikes Harvey Rotten (who was in Film 2... lol) is recruited as a guide.
Meet Tweak - Alien Slavers.
Attacked by wardroids from Judges Vs President.

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 03:07:04 PM
An undead dimension hopper? It would be like Dredd meets Dr Who meets flesheating zombies. Good on paper, difficult to pull off on the big screen without it looking like a Mel Brooks production.

But that is what he is.  Do, or do not.  No point rewriting Death as anything else.  If they don't think it will work I'd rather they never touched on Judge Death at all.

That would make a film that has lots of elements from the original but remains possible in a real world, so long as it has homicidal robots & aliens.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Gonk

It's too over the top for the big screen BatKing.

James Stacey

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 03:24:01 PM
Why? Things like Suckerpunch get made.

Bat King

If they think they won't make it. Simple.  I'm not saying they have to do it, just that if they don't respect the source material simply don't use the character.

I don't particularly want a film with Judge Death in.  I want it less if it isn't done right.

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 February, 2012, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 03:24:01 PM
Why? Things like Suckerpunch get made.

And many other films...
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Steve Green

I can totally understand the 'Do it like the comic or don't bother' but there are aspects of Death which would look a bit hokey on film (even more so in the DNA world)

I could see it working if they go along the possession line - so you have some CERN/Dimension Lab monkeying about and something comes back, possessing a judge.

No Pterodactyls on shoulders, but physical manifestation of possession on the host, capable of immense strength, punching through bodies etc, maybe infecting citizens to be murderous/suicidal, in a similar vein to Day of Chaos.

Could possibly have subliminal flashes of something closer to the comic death when he takes someone over...

NSFTM

sequel  based on the apocalypse war,

then if it gets to a third film, Judge death, a  PSI Judge traumatized by the war and becomes  disfigured/mutated by the nuclear fallout and goes on sentencing those who survive(some sort survivors guilt or something)

It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

Gonk

Judge Dredd is a niche market anyway. Having Judge Death is only going to appeal to 2000ad fans, a general audience would find it a bit too avant garde if not downright silly for Dredd to be chasing apparitions for two hours. Like I've said, Radiator's was the best idea - conflate the characters Judge Cal and Judge Death into one. Add in the themes of power, madness and mass murder, something a general audience can believe in.

Bat King

A film version would clearly have to drop something... No film adaptation is likely to ever be completely loyal to source.  But the basics need to be there or it is pointless.  So yeah, uniform isn't essential.  But a possesiony spirit thing is.  But spirits don't fit into 'gritty realism' in the first place for most people.

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 03:32:52 PM
Judge Dredd is a niche market anyway. Having Judge Death is only going to appeal to 2000ad fans, a general audience would find it a bit too avant garde if not downright silly for Dredd to be chasing apparitions for two hours. Like I've said, Radiator's was the best idea - conflate the characters Judge Cal and Judge Death into one. Add in the themes of power, madness and mass murder, something a general audience can believe in.

I've said many times... earlier in this thread I am sure as well as today...  I don't particularly want Judge Death...  You are preaching to the choir not convincing me.  You don't seem to be reading the full intent of my posts.

I'm being cautionary saying 'not before 3' not saying 'Oh boy I want Death in 3!!!' - Can't see how that meaning could even be read into what I've said.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Goaty

Honest, the Dredd film aimed for a darker and more realistic tone, with humanity and realism being the basis of the film, with Mega-City in Cursed Earth. Better for film if stick to realistic, and give it very interesting. Just leave the Sci-fi, Aliens, fantasy to the comics.

As my best stories of Dredd so far?

Block Mania
The Apocalypse war
America
The Pit
Total War
Mandroid

and those were realistic-style stories!

Bat King

Can see those working.

Of course the best way to go might be original! Write stories that simply fit the character and setting. That is easy.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

radiator

QuoteI can totally understand the 'Do it like the comic or don't bother' but there are aspects of Death which would look a bit hokey on film (even more so in the DNA world)

Yes, I agree with that. Not many are saying that Nolan shouldn't make any more Batman films because he deviates from the source material (no aliens, nothing supernatural, no Robin or Batgirl etc etc). It's perfectly possible to remain faithful to the spirit of the comics while doing your own thing with it - the 'like the comics or nothing' brigade seem quite naive/blinkered to me.

QuoteCould possibly have subliminal flashes of something closer to the comic death when he takes someone over...

Yeah, I thought perhaps something similar to how the Scarecrow gas works visually in Batman Begins - the character of Death psychically projects an image which looks closer to the comic version of the character. They could do some really cool Chris Cunningham/Aphex Twin style visuals with it.

I've said many times... earlier in this thread I am sure as well as today...  I don't particularly want Judge Death...  You are preaching to the choir not convincing me.  You don't seem to be reading the full intent of my posts.

Same here - personally I think there's far more interesting avenues to explore than the Judge Death storyline, but

a) He's by far Dredd's most famous villain - he's basically Joker to Dredd's Batman for better or worse.

b) That seems to be the direction they're going in, so I'm just specualting as to how they might do it.

Bat King

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 03:43:03 PM
QuoteI can totally understand the 'Do it like the comic or don't bother' but there are aspects of Death which would look a bit hokey on film (even more so in the DNA world)

Yes, I agree with that. Not many are saying that Nolan shouldn't make any more Batman films because he deviates from the source material (no aliens, nothing supernatural, no Robin or Batgirl etc etc). It's perfectly possible to remain faithful to the spirit of the comics while doing your own thing with it - the 'like the comics or nothing' brigade seem quite naive/blinkered to me.

QuoteCould possibly have subliminal flashes of something closer to the comic death when he takes someone over...

Yeah, I thought perhaps something similar to how the Scarecrow gas works visually in Batman Begins - the character of Death psychically projects an image which looks closer to the comic version of the character. They could do some really cool Chris Cunningham/Aphex Twin style visuals with it.

Same here - personally I think there's far more interesting avenues to explore than the Judge Death storyline, but

a) He's by far Dredd's most famous villain - he's basically Joker to Dredd's Batman for better or worse.

b) That seems to be the direction they're going in, so I'm just specualting as to how they might do it.

Well put throughout, Radiator.

And your final point is exactly why I post about the possibility of Death being in. My preference would be - don't use Judge Death in Judge Dredd.  However Judge Death as a spin off, never used in the Dredd titles, that works.  They can do it anywhere between Gritty and Wacky.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex