Main Menu

DROKK

Started by Misanthrope, 26 January, 2012, 04:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Oh, bother. Amazon doesn't give the track listing for the special edition, so I bought the regular cheapo version assuming I was just missing some fancier packaging. Still, I like the fact they've named a bonus track 'Hestia': shows they're not just 'I liked it in the 80s' fans, and that they stuck around through the dark days till the glory of Wagner's return saved us all.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 May, 2012, 08:15:09 PM
Inhale's singular Garage-Rock riff is the one that sounds a little ill-fitting and the tacked-on, uninspired noise-scape don't do much for these bleeding ears, probably the weakest track.

You say Garage, I say Stoner. Given the Leitmotif - and, presumably, its intended purpose in the film- it's not surprising that Inhale is a change of pace and a digression from the brutal aesceticism of the rest of the album.

Reminds me of Can, Neu and the best of Krautrock.

Greg M.

Quote from: bikini kill on 11 May, 2012, 09:04:33 PM

Agree completely - I was getting a massive Can - 'Soundtracks' vibe off this one. Shades of 'Mother Sky', methinks.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 11 May, 2012, 09:04:33 PM

You say Garage, I say Stoner. Given the Leitmotif - and, presumably, its intended purpose in the film- it's not surprising that Inhale is a change of pace and a digression from the brutal aesceticism of the rest of the album.

It's definitely Can-flavoured all right and only works played LOUD.

Not sure how much of Drokk was eventually written with the film narrative in mind since they continued with the project after they were 'dismissed', 'specially given the current names of the tracks.

I'm wondering did Barrow & Salisbury's music form part of the edit-room debacle of last year?

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 May, 2012, 09:37:14 PM
It's definitely Can-flavoured all right and only works played LOUD.

Not sure how much of Drokk was eventually written with the film narrative in mind since they continued with the project after they were 'dismissed', 'specially given the current names of the tracks.

I'm wondering did Barrow & Salisbury's music form part of the edit-room debacle of last year?

Great imponderable there, Soap. This film's caused more punch-ups than Chris Brown's Sent Messages folder, so it's possible (what became) DROKK was another source of friction. It's certainly not the "super-contemporary, propulsive score" Stuart Ford is so proud of. Barrow seems well disposed to all involved, though.

I imagine the tracklistings are retrospective; for 2T(fru)T, read Slo-Mo.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 11 May, 2012, 10:10:14 PMGreat imponderable there, Soap. This film's caused more punch-ups than Chris Brown's Sent Messages folder, so it's possible (what became) DROKK was another source of friction.

Considering how much Barrow is willing to state that it's all, all right between us; he's possibly wary of what was reported last year.

That was the first thing that struck us, listening to DROKK – how powerful the music you and Ben created would be, if twinned with the right visual, artistic interpretation of the Judge Dredd universe. Was there any point at which you were tempted to try and get in touch with the filmmakers, and see if anything could be done to join the two projects?

Well, basically, that was the film we were working on. It didn't work out, for lots of different reasons. Because the film's still in production, and there's massive secrecy around the project, I'd rather not go into it. One thing I can say is that it was an absolutely brilliant experience: I became good friends with [Dredd script writer] Alex Garland. The film is going to be fucking brilliant. Categorically, there is absolutely no bad feeling between us and any of the filmmakers. It was just a project which didn't work out, but Ben and I decided to carry on with the project in a different form. But the relationship with the film-makers and with Alex is so good, that there's no way I would want people to think there was any kind of problem between us.

Is there any small part of you that secretly hopes that, once the film's out, someone might take it and remix it, using the music you created for DROKK?

No, not at all! It's not that kind of feeling that I have towards the film, y'know what I mean? The only feelings I have towards the film are massively positive. It's not like they didn't use our music, and we're angry or disappointed, it's not that kind of vibe. At all. That's all I can really say about it. But I am massively looking forward to the film.

dracula1

Quote from: dweezil2 on 11 May, 2012, 03:29:40 PM
Quote from: dracula1 on 11 May, 2012, 03:13:54 PM
Is a digital download available?  :P

Take a look here:

http://drokk.bandcamp.com/

Wlll do and thanks for the link l can't wait to hear it!

shaolin_monkey

I hope this is the appropriate thread to discuss the album/CD.  I got the bunker edition (plus t-shirt)the other day, and have been absorbing it since.  I absolutely adore it!  It's hard to describe, but it's more of a themed soundscape than, I dunno, the traditional tunes and melodies I'm so used to listening to.  It is so wonderfully evocative of Dredd and his world.  I think the nearest thing I can relate it to is some kind of Escape From New York/Blade Runner feel.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I recommend it! 

Also, awesome t-shirt. I love clothes that are meaningless to all but those in the know (such as the lastexittonowhere stuff) and this is one of them.

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 May, 2012, 11:49:06 AM
I got the bunker edition (plus t-shirt) the other day, and have been absorbing it since. I absolutely adore it Also, awesome t-shirt. I love clothes that are meaningless to all but those in the know (such as the lastexittonowhere stuff) and this is one of them.

If I ever see that pack going for around £25 I'm buying the album twice. I need that T-shirt.

JOE SOAP

There's also the bonus of the 8 extra tracks.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 May, 2012, 12:34:05 PM

Corporate pimp!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: bikini kill on 13 May, 2012, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 May, 2012, 12:34:05 PM

Corporate pimp!

He's right though, and to my shame I've been so busy listening to the CD and strutting around like a peacock in my new t-shirt I completely forgot to download them! Thanks for the reminder!

JOE SOAP

Emperor

Quote from: bikini kill on 13 May, 2012, 12:30:29 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 May, 2012, 11:49:06 AM
I got the bunker edition (plus t-shirt) the other day, and have been absorbing it since. I absolutely adore it Also, awesome t-shirt. I love clothes that are meaningless to all but those in the know (such as the lastexittonowhere stuff) and this is one of them.

If I ever see that pack going for around £25 I'm buying the album twice. I need that T-shirt.

I was thinking that too - I think the T-shirt'd do nicely being sold on its own. Any chance of that merchandise droids?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

dracula1

Downloaded the digital copy as recommended and at a reasonable $price  :P

Listened to it a few times and feeling it's just ok!  Comes across abit rushed and like it was put together quickly to pitch for involvement on the movie  sound track.  Sounds to familiar and dated for the new Dredd.  :')

Time to get Will. I. am on the project pethaps :-)