Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

All I can really remember from reading Friday at the time is being generally confused as to why Rogue Trooper wasn't Rogue Trooper anymore. Maybe somewhere along the line I somehow missed some kind of explanation or maybe there just wasn't any :-*. I remember precisely nothing about the actual storyline(s). Anyway I'll buy this regardless and give it another shot.

IndigoPrime

The War Machine was a reboot, based on the original, but in a different universe. It was subsequently smashed into the original series continuity with all the finesse of a gorilla wielding a mallet, also ignoring the nicely written and suitable ending to The Hit, which annoyed me a bit.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 November, 2012, 12:21:15 AM
The War Machine was a reboot, based on the original, but in a different universe. It was subsequently smashed into the original series continuity with all the finesse of a gorilla wielding a mallet, also ignoring the nicely written and suitable ending to The Hit, which annoyed me a bit.

That probably explains why it confused me. Not being a reader of American comics this would have been my first exposure to the concept of a reboot, and a particularly pointless one by the sound of it.

James Stacey

Not really. Rogues story had been done and then the shark jumped. It was kinda nice to see a new take (to start with at least) War machine is a cracking read, it was only the later stuff that let down the 'new rogue'

Colin YNWA

While I was never particularly a fan of Rogue Trooper anyway it really lost its way after the Traitor General storyline was resolved. As ever it did though it always had great art and have to be honest I did quite like the early parts of 'The Hit'.

War Machine was much needed when it arrived, assuming that Rogue wasn't to be left alone altogether.

glassstanley

The Garth Ennis collection - is this likely to include any strips not already released in the Rebellion GNs? The publisher's blurb mentions Emerald Isle and Raider, both of which have already been reprinted.

This is the kind of info that will inform whether I pre-order or not!

Mark Taylor

Quote from: James Stacey on 14 November, 2012, 07:47:05 AM
Not really. Rogues story had been done and then the shark jumped. It was kinda nice to see a new take (to start with at least) War machine is a cracking read, it was only the later stuff that let down the 'new rogue'

I'm dubious about the necessity to throw away all the existing continuity to give new life to a strip which has gone downhill. There are other ways, something new can always be thrown into the mix. However maybe I'm wrong in this case... Since I just got a copy of Tales of Nu Earth Vol. 3 which contains most of the later 'original Rogue series' stuff and I'll be reading it shortly (for the first time since the original progs came out), I suppose I'll soon find out.

hippynumber1

Rogue Trooper - Welcome to Nu-Earth now listed for a May release. With a price tag of £6.99 I'm guessing this is a Manga sized edition?

IndigoPrime

Michael Evans

The Monarch

Max Headroom

If Robo-Keef happens to be reading this, could you give us a run-down of which stories are due to appear in the up-coming Judge Anderson Psi-Files volume 3 (including any bonus material). Cheers.

Dash Decent

The first collection of IDW stories is up for pre-order at Amazon UK:

Judge Dredd Volume 1

"All new stories plus an introduction by John Wagner!"

IDW, 120 pages, 23rd April 2013
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 19 November, 2012, 09:58:02 AM
If Robo-Keef happens to be reading this, could you give us a run-down of which stories are due to appear in the up-coming Judge Anderson Psi-Files volume 3 (including any bonus material). Cheers.
This list is pure speculation, note. However, the book details state Hairsine is one of the artists, which means the strips run from at least Something Wicked through to Lawless. It would make logical sense for that 'era' of Anderson to be dealt with in its entirety by also including Horror Story and Semper VI. A subsequent volume would then kick off with Half-Life, from 2004 (Semper VI being from 1999). This calculation results in 297 strip pages (according to Barney), which seems a touch heavy if the book is 304pp, and would also suggest the two annual stories I don't think have yet been collected would have to wait for the next volume.

Meg 2.74 – 2.80, Something Wicked (Mar '95): 52
Meg 3.01 – 3.07, Satan (July '95): 57
Meg 3.14, The Protest (Feb '96): 8
2000 AD 1045 – 1049, Wonderwall: 30
2000 AD 1050 – 1061, Crusade: 72
2000 AD 1076, Danse Macabre: 6
2000 AD 1087 – 1089, Witch: 18
2000 AD 1090, The Great Debate: 6
2000 AD 1102 – 1103, Lawless: 12
2000 AD 1132 – 1137, Horror Story: 30
2000 AD 1140, Semper VI: 6

1990 Annual, Confessions of a She-Devil: 8
1993 Annual, George: 5

James Stacey

Prog 1812 wraps up cold deck with - [spoiler]Trifecta with art by Carl Critchlow![/spoiler] This makes me exceedingly happy. Too long from the Prog.