Main Menu

Shaolin Monkey signing in

Started by shaolin_monkey, 13 May, 2012, 10:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Howdy folks. I couldn't find an 'introductions' thread, so this'll have to do.  I'm 39, and have been a 2000AD fan since I was about 11. I used to spend hours and hours drawing and painting Dredd - my bedroom walls were festooned with my efforts.  Dillon and Bolland were my fave artists at the time. I even painted Dredd on The underside of my skateboard!  If I can dig out an old pic of it, i will post it here somewhere. I'm currently loving Henry Flints work!

Anyway, like an idiot I was influenced by a woman when in my twenties, who considered comics 'childish' so had a break from 2000AD for a bit then. My present partner is much more forgiving, being a gamer and XMen fan, but after me leaving progs on every surface she got pissed off and made me cancel my subscription.

Hurrah for digital downloads! Thanks to these I'm now back into 2000AD and loving it.  My partner is still trying to persuade me to sling the boxes of old progs on top of our wardrobe, but she's a lot happier now my new progs are limited to a folder on my PC!!!

I need to get some back progs though - I've come into the whole Chaos thing halfway through, and it looks like I need to go all the way back to PJ escaping the cubes.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post - in a nutshell, 39, and back in the 2000AD fold!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Ever time I see ads those I physically cringe - the muscles in my shoulders literally contract on sight.  What were they thinking. 

Oh, and welcome Shaolin Monkey!

Spikes

Blimey! Dont recall seeing these before. Where did these come from?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 May, 2012, 10:51:18 AM
Ever time I see ads those I physically cringe - the muscles in my shoulders literally contract on sight.  What were they thinking. 

I was reading 2000ad for years before and after those ads ran and knew nothing of them until their mention in Thrill Power Overload- in the list of doomed PR initiatives that Egmont/Fleetway squandered the Stallone dividend on.

Irrespective of their idiocy, if the purpose of such ads is to generate controversy and public awareness, job not done.

TordelBack

Quote from: bikini kill on 13 May, 2012, 11:58:45 AM...if the purpose of such ads is to generate controversy and public awareness, job not done.
:lol:

JOE SOAP

The Great Yorkie eating Lads-Mag/Sci-Fi crossover

Emperor

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 May, 2012, 10:29:17 AM
Howdy folks. I couldn't find an 'introductions' thread, so this'll have to do.

There isn't a thread, because we have a whole forum for it. ;) I've split this off and moved it over here.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

shaolin_monkey

Nice one, thanks mate!

So... Hello!

shaolin_monkey

Oops, I have just noticed in the forum rules you need to restrict image sizes to 800 px in sizes.  I think my DROKK t-shirt was more than that - sorry!!!  I'll bear it in mind for any more I post.

Syne

mejustnow

Welcome indeed

...and that's the first time I've seen those adverts too.  Good grief, just good grief
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Syne

So were those adds done under Bishop's editorship? Do I have a fellow kiwi to blame for that?  :-\

a chosen rider

Quote from: Syne on 14 May, 2012, 10:28:23 PMSo were those adds done under Bishop's editorship? Do I have a fellow kiwi to blame for that?  :-\

Not his fault, apparently:

QuoteHow the heck this happened is described by Bishop thusly, on page 198 of Thrill-Power Overload:

"In 1997, a long-running dispute between Egmont Fleetway and IPC was settled when the comic publisher was offered £25,000 of free advertising in IPC's publications. It was decided to utilise this by hyping 2000 AD in the pages of Loaded. An advertising agency was brought in to design the ads and came up with the slogan, `2000 AD: Women Just Don't Get It'."

Bishop goes on to explain how this was completely out of the hands of the comic's editorial department, and that he was forbidden by the publisher from responding to reader complaints about the ads, which were pretty offensive, but more importantly, they were goddamned stupid. I mean, these really are the worst ads I've ever seen for a comic book, and whatever bozo came up with these things really had no clue at all.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Syne

Interesting that someone who claims to have written the ads turns up in the comment section on your link, chosen rider!

QuoteWe needed to make 2000AD seem relevant to this laddish teenager. And positioning it as something that women didn't like - either because they were too ditzy or too humourless - seemed like a fun way to connect to that audience.

That's a pretty good example of a justification that doesn't, well, justify anything, really :D.