Main Menu

New ALIEN game out late 1014.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 08 January, 2014, 07:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Bonkers. Looks like someone else is taking a crack at the ALIEN franchise this time it's survivalist /horror mode.

Certainly seem to have done their homework visual wise but is fighting just ONE Alien warrior using the environment rather than any weapons enough to get the punters to hand over their creds?

http://www.destructoid.com/alien-isolation-is-the-new-game-in-the-alien-franchise-268392.phtml
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

radiator

It's a bold enterprise for sure, but I'm a little skeptical that they'll be able to sustain a players interest for a full 8-9 hours without resorting to heavily-scripted gameplay. I'd be more hopeful if this were a short downloadable game.

von Boom

Saw the trailer. It looks interesting. I hope they can deliver some real scares.

Goaty

Did they mention what sort of game it is? It looks like explore without used any weapons...?

But gotta to said, one game is most better than this or any Alien games... Dead Space!

pauljholden

What do you play it on ? Clay tablets? Snarf!

you see the thread title says "game out late 1014" which, for the sake of comedy, I've decided to misconstrue your obvious typo as a deliberate date.

Oh forget it.

-PJ
(It does look brill, but as I was petrified by the game alone in the dark back in the early 90s I can do any tummy wobbly scary games...)

Goaty

HOO-HAA

Facebook (of all things) recommended it to me and I followed the link, watched the trailer. Looks great! Reading Aliens: Genocide at the moment, a tie-in novel, and really in the mood for revisiting the films. So this caught me at the right time. If it's on PC, I'll probably grab it.

Professor Bear

Couldn't be worse than the last one.

Keef Monkey

The game that sprung to mind for me watching the trailer was Outlast on PC (and I think coming to PS4 soon). In that you're totally defenceless wandering around an abandoned asylum, and if you come across a threat then sneaking, hiding or running like hell are the only options (the chases were really scary).

Those kind of mechanics used with the Alien franchise sounds a match made in heaven (and I love that they're branding it an Alien game and not an Aliens game, quite a nice statement of intent). I watched the gameplay trailer with my girlfriend and she was jumping and yelping at every Alien sighting, so they've done an admirable job of making the creature scary again finally!

I'd have the same concerns as Radiator though about it managing to sustain the tension and scares for 7-8hrs. Outlast was about 4hrs long and a couple of hours in the frights begin to lose their effectiveness as you get more familiar with what it has up its sleeve. Even the legendary Amnesia was only particularly scary during it's early chunks I found (it built up your apprehension fantastically when you first set out but once you've had a couple of encounters it loses it's edge).

Very excited about this and will probably play it on release regardless (hell, I even played through Colonial Marines an embarrassing 3 times and that was no classic), but hoping they've got some great ideas for pacing the thing.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 January, 2014, 09:13:35 PM
you see the thread title says "game out late 1014" which, for the sake of comedy, I've decided to misconstrue your obvious typo as a deliberate date.
-PJ

I really must proof read a hell of a lot more!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

GrinningChimera

Sounds promising. Looking forward to it.

Devons Daddy

Saw this on FB seems they are targeting the market with links

Liked what I saw. Worth keeping an eye on
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

HOO-HAA

I remember quite enjoying the old playstation one Alien Trilogy game. Wonder is there a PC version available to download?

Any other Alien games worth checking out?

Greg M.

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 17 January, 2014, 09:51:53 PM

ZX Spectrum. 1987. Best Aliens game ever.

Fuckin' Burke, always getting trapped in the biomechanical wall-growth.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Greg M. on 17 January, 2014, 10:59:37 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 17 January, 2014, 09:51:53 PM

ZX Spectrum. 1987. Best Aliens game ever.

Fuckin' Burke, always getting trapped in the biomechanical wall-growth.

I remember loving that one, too. Although couldn't get very far into it: deadly hard, from what I recall!