Main Menu

Comic Reader Help !

Started by Dr Feeley Good, 10 April, 2014, 12:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Feeley Good

I've finally decided to give digital comics a go,I have just got a samsung note tablet and downloaded a back issue of 2000ad from the store to try...The problem I have got is,I can see it in Adobe reader ok, I downloaded it in jpg  format , but I can't get it up on the comicrack app I was recommended and downloaded ! It just says I have no comics to view ! Any help would be appreciated because I am not very clued up when it comes to these things....cheers

flip-r mk2

Comicrack only reads .cbz & .cbr files, if i remember rightly you can compress jpeg using winzip or similar program and then change the file extension from .zip to .cbr.

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Dr Feeley Good

That sounds way above my head,though I am sure it was available to download in either cbr or cbz and I downloaded them and still nothing.!

Professor Bear

View jpegs with Quickpic - a free app from the Android store.  It works in exactly the same way as comic readers, with swipes to turn a page, etc.

The Adventurer

I'm curious how you downloaded a back Prog that was jpgs. They should be in a zip or rar (cbz or cbr) format. Which can be unzipped into jpgs, but that takes an extra step.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Spaceghost

Perfect Viewer lets you read pretty much every file format I think. It's not as user friendly as Comic Rack though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dr Feeley Good

I will download them both tonight and give them a try....cheers, when I got the prog from the store I got a link to my email and when I clicked on it,  it had two pics of the cover and one said jpg and the other cbr Adventurer

The Adventurer

Did you use the 2000AD future shop? If you set up a log in at check out you should be able to go to your account page and it will give you download options for your past purchases.

Unfortunately I don't have an android phone, so I don't know if moving the comic files to your device is as easy as hooking up your device to your PC and transferring the file. Or if you need to use an intermediary program like Dropbox (which has both a PC program and an app, which are linked through the same log in) to upload then download to your specific app.

I can manual upload files to my iPad through iTunes. But I find using Dropbox is a much easier experience for file management between my PC and mobile device.

Recrewt

Quote from: SteveMillar on 10 April, 2014, 09:18:37 AM
I will download them both tonight and give them a try....cheers, when I got the prog from the store I got a link to my email and when I clicked on it,  it had two pics of the cover and one said jpg and the other cbr Adventurer

When I have bought digital comics from the store, I got two links as you did but one said PDF and the other said CBZ:

As already mentioned, PDFs are no good in Comicrack - you need to download the CBZ.  CBZ is basically a type of ZIP file which contains images.  So, they are probably JPGs within the CBZ file (but I have never opened one up to check).  Import the CBZ into Comicrack and you should be good to go.   

The Adventurer

There are definitely jpgs in the zip/cbz files. I manually pull them apart the make the Megazine floppy reprint a separate file.

Andrew_J

The main points I was going to make have been made above. I've just a few extra suggestions:

As Recrewt pointed out you need to download the CBZ file for Comicrack. I find it easier to download the files on the PC and then transfer them to the Nexus via USB as its messy moving files around on the Nexus itself.

Transfer the file to a dedicated folder on your tablet called "comics" (or "awesome_sh!t" if you prefer). Then open the Comicrack preferences and make sure the Main Comic Folder is pointing to your "comics" folder.

Finally you need to hit the refresh button for your new issues to appear. Comicrack in my experience does not auto refresh the folders.

Hope that works for you.

Dr Feeley Good

Will give it a try when I get in,thanks...and yes it says pdf not jpg,doh!!

Dr Feeley Good

Just showing how clueless I am by asking,but where can I find the cbz files when I have download them?  the pdf version I can see on adobe,but where would the cbz files be so I can transfer them?  I am using a Samsung note tablet,the 2014 version....thanks

Rex Banner

I have an android tablet.

Any files downloaded end up I'm downloads. If you look at your apps there should be one specifically called downloads. You can either open it and read it from there or use a file transfer and put it in your comic rack folder.

Dr Feeley Good

Thanks for all your help,managed to get my digital prog on to comicrack,not sure how I did it though ! One more question, can you get downloads from comixoligy  transfered to comicrack ?