Main Menu

April Story Comp - RESULTS/PRIZES

Started by Bad City Blue, 19 May, 2014, 10:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Hi freaks

You put in some seriously good shorties this month, and it is my pleasure to announce the winners...

in THIRD Place:

Smiffy

"The Mutaint"

"Sand, sand, sand—and more sand."

She then strode off across the dead lake and he waddled and clacked after her.

"Wait for me," he said and was surprised when she did.

"We'd best check our weapons before we get there," she said, wiping her goggles clean with a sleeve. "Sand is getting everywhere."

He released the magazine from his blaster, hit it against his head, and re-loaded it. He looked up at her and waggled his eyebrows. "Don't worry—my gun's ship-shape and Bristol fashion."

She flinched, adjusted the bandolier that ran across her third breast, and strode off once more, heading for the giant, rusting carcass of a crashed freighter on the horizon.

"Wait, wait," he shouted and was again surprised when she did. Then, once he'd hobbled up to her, he said, simply, "I'm sorry."

She cleaned her goggles again and said, "Apology accepted." Then: "And I'm sorry I didn't land closer. I didn't think. How're your feet?"

"Oh, they'd bleed if they had a blood flow." He rocked back onto the heels of his twisted, skeleton feet. "But we're nearly there now. Job's nearly done."

"Let's get on with it," she said and they set off again. Across the red sand, the setting sun threw long shadows towards them from the freighter. "The quarry's in there."

He pulled out a small computer and tapped its screen. "Howie Ramsden: The Mutaint—wanted dead or alive"

"Why do you think he does it?"

"Does what—kill people or pretend to be a mutant?"

"Both." Pause. "But, well, why would a norm pretend to be a mutant? If he knew what it was really like, he'd... not wear that mask."

He scrolled his finger down the screen. "His parents run a mutel in Milton Keynes. Maybe he feels guilty about the way we're ripped off in places like that? Or, uhm, he's a rich kid who fancied slumming it?"

"Norm guilt?"

"Exactly: he fancied trying out someone else's chip on his shoulder, which he can just hand back when he's done playing with it."

"Or he's a neo-Kreelmanist who wants to stir up trouble by killing norms while disguised as a mutant?"

"Or he's just a psycho?"

"Yes, let's not over-think the quarry."

"Quite." He scrolled through the Mutaint's charge sheet and rechecked his blaster, nervously, once he'd finished. "He's not going to surrender. He's a—"

"Psycho?"

"Exactly."

She unslung her rifle as they neared tailfin debris from the freighter. "I hope he's not wearing the mask."

"Oh?"

"I'd rather shoot who he is rather than who he isn't."

He nodded and checked his blaster again as he peered into a dark tear in the hull. "Usual wager—lunch for the killing shot?"

"Of course."

"Beef marrow sumsum for me," he said, tapping his toes on the ground. "And for you, if you get the Mutaint?"

"Baps," she said, smiling, and disappeared inside the freighter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In SECOND place:

Eamonn 1961

"Barfly"

The bar was empty and Billings relaxed as he walked through the door. No need to watch his back in here.

"What can I get you?" asked the barmaid.

"Saturn ale and a shot of Black. Quiet night?"

"Won't get busy until the off-world transport gets here tomorrow."

A transport that was likely to be carrying bounty hunters. He would need to be gone by the time they arrived. Still, no reason why he couldn't have a little fun tonight.

"Anyone ever tell you that you have lovely eyes?" he asked.

"Yeah, but not usually guys on their first drink of the night," she replied with a smile.

Pretty nice smile too, thought Billings. "Have a drink with me?"

"Well as it's quiet I'll have a small Janx spirit. Thank you."

As she poured her drink the bar door opened and a man wearing a wide brimmed hat and dark glasses walked in.

"Beer" he said as he took a seat in a booth.

Billings watched closely in the bar mirror as the barmaid served the newcomer a beer and walked back to the bar.

"I'm Anansi. Thanks for the drink." She held out her hand.

"Name's Kelso. Nice to meet you." Her hand felt cool to the touch. This was looking very promising, if he could just keep an eye on that guy in the booth.

"So what brings you to Zamora, Kelso?"

"I'm on ... "
What was his cover story again? The man in the booth had removed his hat but still wore the glasses. What was he hiding?

"I'm on business. I sell skimmer parts." Time for a bit more of that legendary Billings charm,
"That's a very pretty broach you're wearing."

"Thank you, Kelso. And when you're not selling? What do you do for fun?"

Billings wiped sweat from his forehead. Why couldn't he think clearly?

"Fun? I don't know. Err... do you get many mutants in here?"

"Mutants? Not many. They bother you?"

"No bother at all. Not when they're dead. That's what I call fun. Robbing and killing those weird looking scum. That's why they call me Kelso 'the killing' Billings."

Why was he telling her this?

"Mutant killer. I guess that must make you a wanted man?"

"I'm wanted for multiple counts of murder. I'm guilty as hell and there's a 100,000 credit bounty on my head."
He couldn't stop himself, the words were just tumbling out.

"I think that should be enough," Anansi smiled and touched a button on her broach. The letters SD swam before Billings' eyes as she clicked the cuffs onto his wrists.

"You've been messing with my mind. You're one of them, but you look so ... so normal?"

Her eyes flashed red, "That's right, creep. Some of us are just different on the inside. And that means it's last orders for you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in a VERY CLOSE FIRST PLACE (and winner of a 2000AD Graphic Novel)

Jabish

"A Dog's Luck"

Nervous Nigel never had any luck. Ever since he was a kid all he ever wanted to be was a Strontium Dog. Growing up in the Milton Keynes Ghetto he only had one ambition; to pin that badge on his chest. He'd show his dad, prove him wrong.

'You're never going to be a Stront son. That's for mutants with a mean streak, a killer's disposition. You're too sensitive to be one of them. You're just unlucky son.'

Nigel would joke that his mutation was his bad luck. But it wasn't just that. He wasn't lucky enough have one of those cool mutations like Johnny Alpha's eyes or Durham Red's teeth. No. Nigel was born with his nervous system on the outside of his body. A gentle breeze against his skin was agony for him. He took strong painkillers just to be able to wear clothes. Not the most useful thing when all you want to be is a galactic bounty hunter. That's how he got his name. Nervous Nigel. The pun was very much intended.

But Nigel was determined not to let his bad luck stop him from fulfilling his dream. If he couldn't use his body he would use his brain. He studied for years. He invented a suit for himself that would be like a second skin and not irritate his external nervous system. With that he could now work and train. He would be a Strontium Dog. His luck was finally changing.

And the day came.

Nervous Nigel stood in the main hall of the Doghouse and received his blaster from the GCC Doghouse Liaison. Other Strontium Dogs were in attendance to witness. He was so proud. He was handed his bandolier. He took one of the Time Bombs from its holder. He never thought this day would come. And the best part of all; The badge. Finally. The liaison released the pin from its clasp but just before he could pin it to Nigel's lapel there was a flash in the middle of the hall and a screaming figure, armed to the teeth, materialised out of nowhere. The gathered Strontium Dogs immediately drew their weapons and opened fire on the intruder, vaporising him. The liaison was distracted by the commotion but Nigel would not have his big moment ruined by anyone and grabbed the SD badge that he had waited so long to get and pinned it to his chest himself. But the pin grazed his skin under his suit and in a fit of intense pain he screamed and dropped the time bomb he was holding, which immediately went off and sent him just a few seconds back in time and due to the orbit of the Doghouse he materialised in the middle of the hall to be greeted by a startled group of heavily armed trigger happy Bounty Hunters. The last thing that went through his head before being vaporised was:

Maybe bad luck was his mutation after all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a big, mutated hand to all entrants, and especially to Jabish, the deserved winner.

Perhaps he can PM me with a theme for the next comp? Hmmmm?

Oh yeah, and we also have a FREE 200AD Graphic Novel for a randomly chosen voter, and that will go to...

JUDGERUFIAN

Well done, fella, hope you enjoy your prize.

See you next time, and don't go stinking up the galaxy too much.

Harvey
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

okay, for some reason I can't PM, so if the two winners could send me their addresses I will pass them on to Rebellion.

alan_holloway_2@hotmail.com

Cheers m'dears
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

TordelBack

Well done all, a good competition and worthy winners.  Many thanks to The Artist Formerly Known As Alski for administratin', comps like these keep the site perpetually entertaining.

judgerufian

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 May, 2014, 10:01:25 AM
okay, for some reason I can't PM, so if the two winners could send me their addresses I will pass them on to Rebellion.

alan_holloway_2@hotmail.com

Cheers m'dears

Lucky me!
Address has been sent by email.

Thanks very much.

Eamonn Clarke

Well done all
and thanks to Bad City Blue for organisation.
Would Smiffy and Jabish let me know if they would be happy for their stories to appear on the ECBT2000AD podcast website as well?
cheers

jabish

Well I'm shocked and delighted. Thanks so much! I only entered for a bit of fun and never expected to win, such was the quality of the entries. I have no doubt it was very close. Congrats to all and thanks for voting for me little ditty. Thanks for all the hard work organising it Bad City Blue, I've emailed you me details. I'd love it to be published on the ECBT2000AD podcast website Eamonn, I'm a big fan so it will be a treat to see it up there.

Well a little story about a fella with no luck has brought me a little luck. Happy Days.

Best

JB

smiffy

judgerufian

To all who organised, entered and voted and the droids at Rebellion,

Many thanks for the GN I just received after being luckily picked for voting in the thread. I am now the proud owner of the new Delvin Waugh collection and a beauty it is too!

Much appreciated!!

jabish

In the post yesterday I got a Rogue Trooper v.4 collection that's not even released yet. Delighted. Thanks a million :-)