Main Menu

What does your spouce, girlfriend/boyfriend, partner or whatever think of your comic collecting...

Started by Buddy, 04 March, 2003, 06:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

I've had the same in the past from girlfriends. I'm single at the moment, so I can enjoy my progs in peace :0)

I always got fed up with explaining it though. As far as I'm concerned, there are millions of people in this country who watch soap operas(including myself sometimes), so I feel no need to justify it. Anyone who questions the matter of comics if just a cultural fascist. Of course you can't blast arguments like that at your wife but it sounds as though you're trying. She probably does understand but likes to wind you up about it/will never admit defeat. Women are strange like that. So are men. And cats...
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Wils

2K does not = fat freddie or whatever

True, although the image of Fat Freddie trying to get his cat to shite in the toilet is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a comic.

Devons Daddy

devons mummy makes noise about the space they take up. the cost on the credit card since i took out a sub.
she does not understand it all.but gave up questioning it many years ago.

devons mummy and i met 12 years ago.she has to understand 2000ad and i have been together 26 years. :~)
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Proudhuff

Old stoney Face has never come between us altho he's been around from the start,I can't speak for SO, but she seems to accept to as part of the general package.
mind you my Hatred of sports, W*nky cars and Laddism in general makes getting geeky GNs/ZOOAD a acceptable balance methinks.
Perhaps i should ask for a sub' for ma Birthday as see the reaction?

Middenpus
DDT did a job on me

Jared Katooie

Even if she never gets to like comics like you do theres no reason why she sould try and prevent you reading them.

Just point out you dont criticise her interests and that ought to confound her...

Beware her evil woman powers though...

J has spoken!

Trout

My wife is really supportive of my comics habit and I wouldn't have gone to Dreddcon if it hadn't been for her (mainly financial) encouragement.

She even puts up with boxes of comics taking up every inch of storage in the house, being ignored for 15 minutes every week when my 2K arrives and being ignored for an entire weekend once a month when I make my regular trip to Glasgow for comics.

It's mainly because I keep the whole thing pretty well under control, not spending too much or letting the comics take over the place. They're strictly kept in the spare room and cupboard space.

However, she won't read comics. She has read some, including V For Vendetta, and just isn't into them.

Maybe I should try to convert her with Halo Jones. I've had the odd, er, heated debate with her about my love for Halo, but she still seems to think it's a sexual thing, when it's not.
She still hasn't agreed to read it, though.

I could easily rip the piss out of her for her choice of trashy paperbacks, BTW, but I don't.

Each to his, or her, own.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

So there weren't any royal decrees telling her that she had better do as you piscine majesty orders?  I know his majesty must travel under strict security but you should really let a few of the other Scotland based boarders know the date of your next trip to Glasgow, I'm sure we could meet up for a pint/pay you tribute.

My wife is very supportive too.  Let me go to DREDDCON, let's me spend my spare time writing and reading and posting here without so much as a raised eyebrow. She read through Judge Dredd: America and thought it was great.  I've yet to tie her to a chair and make her read much else though.  She did buy me FROM HELL for christmas last year.  And I let her getting on with her hobbies; shopping, housework etc.

Reciprocity in interpersonal relationships, don't you just love it?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Oddboy

My wife even came to ShedCon with me... although I suspect that it was more a case of checking you guys aren't serial killers then an act of supporting my comic-habit.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

But she fled, leaving you with us...

Oddboy

Well she confiscated all your firearms first...
Better set your phaser to stun.

Natsan

Both me and my boyfriend read 2000AD.I got him back into reading it shortly after we started going out together.
He's been a big manga fan for ages so it wasn't exactly hard getting him to read progs.We actually have pretty similar tastes in comics so we share everything we read.The only comics-related arguments arise when we disagree on whether a story/artwork is pants or not!
Judging from other couples in this thread it looks like we're pretty lucky! :)

Natalie

opaque

Well I live with my parents and they've never got why I collect them (I only buy 2000ad/meg though) but it's mainly been the amount of space it takes up more than anything else. And not really the progs but all the related things I've bought over the years (Bubble buddies, t-shirts, Adventure Killdozer, cinema banners etc. They do like my most recent acquisitions though, original artwork, that makes sense to them.
My girlfriend I don't know! I've told her about my big collection and my lottery dreams about having a room for it so she knows I have a lot but until she comes to visit she has no idea lol!

Something Fishy

My wife Helen is pretty cool about me reading them and not at all bothered about it.

She's not into them because she just can't get on with the graphical format and finds it hard to read she says.

esoteric ed

Currently single, but no ex's have ever had a problem with me actually reading and enjoying 2000ad or The Meg etc, one lady actually liked Dredd (esp Hershey)and Devlin Waugh (artwork), perhaps the surprise of me liking bands like Slade and being a JAWS fanatic softened the blow for them.

Though it's unlikely right now, if I was living with someone the "lack of space" issue could become a MAJOR problem area!

Ed
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1589111.jpg">

Matt Timson

I reckon I'm the luckiest bloke alive.  Not only does my better half NOT take the piss out of me for reading comics (and you'd think that she would- being a very sensible accountant and all), but she even stumps up the readies for them when I'm skint- and doesn't expect me to pay her back!

Even better- if I read something that I think is particularly good and ask her to read it- she does.  No face pulling, no "do I have to?"- she just trusts the fact that I wouldn't ask her to read any old drivel (sorry, Mongy- guess she won't be reading your scripts anytime soon) and simply reads it, giving me her opinion on it afterwards.  Best of both worlds.  She's not rifling through my comic collection all willy nilly- but will read something if I push it under her nose- brilliant!

Can't get her to watch Star Trek for love or money though...
Pffft...