Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

It's a veritable overload of thrill power this month. Two absolutely cracking books, both brilliant but utterly different from each other. Brink with it's procedural format slowly building up the tension while Red Seas rattles along from one crazy scenario to the next. Yeowell's beautiful b/w line work vs Culbard's incredible us of colour and space. Time travelling buccaneers vs mysterious space cults. These are 2 very different strips but in there own ways each feels like quintessential 2000ad. Can't wait for the continuation of these series.

Max Headroom

Has 140 books been definitively confirmed as the limit for this series, or has it been left open that there might be a further extension? I ask this question as there are some titles which will not be complete after 140 editions (Stickleback, Defoe, Grey Area - I'm looking at you!)

sintec

With the 2 volumes of Grey Area planned for the 1st extension I think there's probably space for everything up to prog 2125's Making History. I think that's everything to date isn't it?

Don't think we've had a complete list of everything that's in the 2nd extension yet. From what I've seen I think there's probably around 10 books still to be accounted for. I'd be surprised if there's not a volume of Stickleback in those tbh.  The 2 remaining Defoe stories would be just about enough for a volume too so fingers crossed those make it. A 3rd volume of Kingdom would be great too even if it ends up being a bit on the slim side with only 2 stories in it.  I guess they could throw the one-off from the sci-fi special last year in there too but that's still a pretty slim book (although no slimmer than some of the later Slaine volumes).

Dark Jimbo

Fiends has arrived, and is a lovely book. Contains the original series, the Bishop/Macneil revival (sadly not re-lettered, as far as I can see), Edginton/Taylor's 1812, Edginton/Trevallion's ...Western Front, and the Adams/Kendall story from the 2019 Sci-fi Special. It's an artistic smorgasbord!
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Not wishing to tempt fate a book that will possibly have the winners of both the Classic and Current favourite art droid tourneys... lets see what the next few days bring!

sintec

Basically a complete run then - with the exception of Constanta which only just finished it's run in the prog so hardly surprising that's not included here.

I started buying the prog with 2100 so 1812 was my intro to this strip, looking forwards to catching up on the earlier stories I missed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 09 February, 2021, 07:54:16 PM
Basically a complete run then - with the exception of Constanta which only just finished it's run in the prog so hardly surprising that's not included here.

Yup - but Constanta is mentioned several times, and there's even a panel from it in the back-of-the-book material.

The original series is great - it didn't really need any sequels or revisits (good as most of them are). There's a great sense of slow, inevitable foreboding to it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

This volume is a definite cherry pick for me.

Tomwe

Finished The Ten Seconders at the weekend. A really nice concept, feels a bit overplayed these days as mentioned in the backmatter. The middle bit was harder to read due to the changes in art, but it was still lovely to look at. And that last section by Edmund Perryman was just beautiful. Looking forward to more of his stuff turning up in the UC?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 10 February, 2021, 10:04:26 AM
Finished The Ten Seconders at the weekend. A really nice concept, feels a bit overplayed these days as mentioned in the backmatter. The middle bit was harder to read due to the changes in art, but it was still lovely to look at. And that last section by Edmund Perryman was just beautiful. Looking forward to more of his stuff turning up in the UC?

Not much, sadly - a fair bit in Indigo Prime v2, but that might be it...
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 February, 2021, 11:24:13 AM
Yes - guess it depends if Cradlegrave gets included in there somewhere. I've not read it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 10 February, 2021, 11:42:44 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 February, 2021, 11:24:13 AM
Yes - guess it depends if Cradlegrave gets included in there somewhere. I've not read it.

Oh if you get the chance do. Its one of 2000ad's best strip ever I'd dare to say.

Swerty

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 February, 2021, 09:36:52 PM
Quote from: sintec on 09 February, 2021, 07:54:16 PM

Yup - but Constanta is mentioned several times, and there's even a panel from it in the back-of-the-book material.

The original series is great - it didn't really need any sequels or revisits (good as most of them are). There's a great sense of slow, inevitable foreboding to it.

There's a few stories that really didn't need any sequels but the original was that good it left us hungry for me.

Colin YNWA

The first two Red Seas collections have just landed and I have to say they are lovely. While nothing will be quite as exciting as getting all of Dante in lovely hardcover collection this will run it close.

Its a beautiful showcase for The Mighty Yeowell's art and the repo is top notch (I assume from the Digital Editions?)

Well worth checking out if you cherry pick.

IndigoPrime

I'd also recommend if people do want to cherry pick, they don't hang about. All of Hachette's books appear to be going OOP a lot faster than they used to, presumably due to a downtick in print runs because of COVID.