Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackenbush

Interesting.
We're definitely getting Island of the Damned, which is nice.
Does anyone have idea what the story John Wagner is credited for in this volume will be?

sintec

With Garth Ennis listed I guess we're getting some of Monsters, Return Of The Gronk, How The Gronk Got His Heartses. No idea what the Wagner credit will be for.

Also note that this is Strontium Dogs vol1 implying the existence of a vol2. Although I think most of us speculating had a vol of Durham Red stories and a vol of Strontium Dogs while this mixes looks set to mix the two up. From the blurb it sounds like it'll be a mix of Durham and Feral tales. January's delivery will be very dog heavy.

abelardsnazz

Just looked through Funt's wonderful A-Z and I can't see anything by Wagner in the Dogverse that we haven't already had.

Maybe we're just going to get drip-fed the issue previews this way, much speculation ahoy if so.

IndigoPrime

Gareth Ennis and Caarlos Esquerra sounds like knock-off 2000 AD droids.

As for the book, the credits look odd. Simon Harrison only did one Dogs, scripted by Peter Hogan. Monsters was Ennis/Pugh, who I would have assumed would have made the cover. I imagine we'll be getting that and Island of the Damned, along with a few other bits. Honestly, I wish they'd gone for a Durham Red book, with 'Island' and the recent reboot. Alas.

On Wagner, who knows? I don't recall anything having been missed—bar the Starlord stuff. But wasn't that off-limits to this collection?

Hackenbush

We might get "The Tax Dodge", and maybe "A Sorry Case" which have both been skipped but I would have expected them in the Repo Men Volume, not in a Strontium Dogs Volume ...

abelardsnazz

There was an Ennis/Harrison Feral story, Dead Man's Hand, in one of the Yearbooks. Also wondering whether By Private Contract from the 40th anniversary prog could be the Wagner inclusion?

IndigoPrime

Good catches. That Feral story was in the 1993 special and is actually pretty good. By Private Contract... I'm less enamoured by, but it's OK. 12 pages there. Another 5 for the Feral story. Island of the Damned is 62. Monsters is 60. So that'd still leave another 60+ pages of strip. (Perhaps Matt wants to punish us and has included Return of the Gronk as well.)

Leigh S

Hasn't the cover to Repo-Men already been used for Volume 9?  (Answer, yes it has)

I know that Vol 9 was pretty poorly distributed, but that's no excuse!

IndigoPrime

Good grief. I just went to the Hachette site and that Marvel series that started in 2012 is still going—issue 254(!) has just come out.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 November, 2021, 01:30:42 PM
So that'd still leave another 60+ pages of strip. (Perhaps Matt wants to punish us and has included Return of the Gronk as well.)

He could punish us more by reprinting The Nobody-wants-this-job Job, and the cover suggests that's what's going to happen.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Cover plus both writer and artist are on the credits. Seems a likely guess for inclusion. Is it that bad?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 05 November, 2021, 06:46:35 PM
Cover plus both writer and artist are on the credits. Seems a likely guess for inclusion. Is it that bad?

No, it's... fine. But not much more than that. Maybe the blandest story Red's ever appeared in.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Are you including the Blackpool story in that equation?

Hackenbush

If we're getting completionist in the Strontium dog universe then I'd love to see a Middenface McNulty volume.

Maybe they've decided to just reveal the remaining volumes as they publish them.

Still no list ....

sintec

I'm guessing Strontium Dogs Vol 2 is going to be a Peter Hogan volume with a mix of his Durham Red and Strontium Dogs stories. With this first book as basically the non-Hogan Red and SDs tales from that era.

Does look like the recent Worley era Red might not make the collection. Hopefully Rebellion will do a trade covering that stuff at some point if it doesn't.

Quote from: Hackenbush on 05 November, 2021, 08:34:00 PM
If we're getting completionist in the Strontium dog universe then I'd love to see a Middenface McNulty volume.

<looks at Barney>... all of Middenface's solo appearances in the Meg would fit in a single Hachette volume.