Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogie101

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 November, 2021, 12:57:43 PM
So we're, what, one and a half collections from the end now? Under Hachette's terms, you have around a month to tell them if you want to end with 112. I'm not surprised we're not getting a list of what's coming up, but it is a pity. (I guess it wouldn't typically happen with a periodical and I'm not sure it's happened with other partworks, but it did with this one last time.)

The Batman Collection has been extended twice so far and neither time has there been a list of upcoming books.

IndigoPrime

That's Eaglemoss though. Still, I imagine we just got lucky last time with this one.

The Corinthian

Quote from: credo on 08 November, 2021, 11:44:11 AM
Alas it doesn't include the 3 text stories from the late '80s early '90s specials/yearbooks, the Steve Sampson drawn tale from the 1989 Winter Special, or the recent Katy Rex written tale from the 2018 Sci-Fi special.

The missing text stories doesn't come as a surprise but the strip omissions are a bit disappointing. The Winter Special one is only 6 pages - would it have killed them to squeeze it in?

sintec

That opening double page spread in Defoe - The Damned.... wow. Top work from the Gallagher droid there. Indeed the opening dozen pages of this story are very strong work from both Gallagher and Mills.

Still a bit disappointed this wasn't split over 3 slightly similar volumes so they could include the final story. Meh - will just have to hope Rebellion eventually do a trade with it in.

Michael Knight

anyone know why we not getting Defoe in its entirety? Really love this series and these hardbacks have been amazing.

The Monarch

I honestly think at this point that the original revealing of the contents of the extension may have been an accident

IndigoPrime

Quite possibly. Then again, perhaps the company thought it would be beneficial. Hard to say.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 10 November, 2021, 07:59:12 PM
Still a bit disappointed [Defoe] wasn't split over 3 slightly similar volumes so they could include the final story. Meh - will just have to hope Rebellion eventually do a trade with it in.

Sadly, I think that ship has sailed. Before the UC, Books 5 and 6 had only ever managed to get a Meg floppy, and Book 7 had never been reprinted.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 November, 2021, 09:55:44 PM
Sadly, I think that ship has sailed. Before the UC, Books 5 and 6 had only ever managed to get a Meg floppy, and Book 7 had never been reprinted.

Much as I hate to agree the choice to stick 5 & 6 in floppy does tend to indicate that they had no intention of continuing the run of trades :( Which is shame as the art in that final story was stunning stuff.

Quote from: Michael Knight on 11 November, 2021, 05:48:07 PM
anyone know why we not getting Defoe in its entirety? Really love this series and these hardbacks have been amazing.

I guess someone decided that there wasn't space to spread it over 3 books which inevitably meant skipping the end due to lack of space. I mean we could get a book of mixed Mills endings in the next extension there's the final Slaine story and this final Defoe. I'm not going to hold my breath though I suspect we won't be seeing either of those.

IndigoPrime

Did Defoe actually end or did it just stop? I can't remember.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

all of pats strips kind of just stopped towards the end of his time in 2000ad for obvious reasons

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 14 November, 2021, 07:33:32 AM
all of pats strips kind of just stopped towards the end of his time in 2000ad for obvious reasons

He has at least talked about coming back to finish some. Whether he ever does is entirely open to debate. In at least one case it'll be a shame if he doesn't... well probably...

The Corinthian

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 November, 2021, 08:04:03 PM
Quote from: credo on 08 November, 2021, 11:44:11 AM
Alas it doesn't include the 3 text stories from the late '80s early '90s specials/yearbooks, the Steve Sampson drawn tale from the 1989 Winter Special, or the recent Katy Rex written tale from the 2018 Sci-Fi special.

The missing text stories doesn't come as a surprise but the strip omissions are a bit disappointing. The Winter Special one is only 6 pages - would it have killed them to squeeze it in?

Have now seen a copy. The omissions are still perplexing, but not as perplexing as them sticking a couple of panels of 'Don't Forget to Blast Your Cache' in the text section as if to advertise that it's not a complete volume. (Did they even notice that there was a missing Smith strip as well?)

But... if it's not quite definitive it's great to have Tyranny Rex finally collected in book form. I really doubt Rebellion would publish a trade edition so it's still very welcome to have this.

abelardsnazz

Really enjoyed the Tyranny volume, Deus Ex Machina in particular. Good that both extensions have done justice to John Smith's non-Dredd related output.