Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaHawkDroid

Made the journey to LSCC today and, well, the print of the spine art was irresistible. What a gorgeous piece of artwork Boo has produced. Cue operation: get this signed by all my favourite 2000AD creators.

Tomwe

I don't know if anyone has commented on this already, but the design of the covers are at least a step towards easier browsing of the collection. If we can't get spine titles, at least you only need pull it an inch or so to see what's in it.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tomwe on 26 August, 2017, 10:18:24 PM
... you only need pull it an inch or so to see what's in it.

Must... resist... Carry On... upbringing...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

glassstanley

I struck me yesterday that the only reason I'm not going to subscribe to this is that I don't have anywhere to put it! Which means that I'm also going to run out of space for future GNs. Time to start a shelf cull!

Woolly

Picked up issue one today - overall i much prefer the look of the repro on this when compared to the washed out looking Hamlyn hardback. Have subscribed on the back of this!

Also, on the penultimate page, some of the panels look repainted to me. Again, in comparison to the Hamlyn edition, but doesnt look like a brightness/contrast job...

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 27 August, 2017, 09:25:18 PM
Also, on the penultimate page, some of the panels look repainted to me. Again, in comparison to the Hamlyn edition, but doesnt look like a brightness/contrast job...

Hamlyn edition:

Hachette edition:

Apologies for the crappy photography.

Mattofthespurs

I prefer the latter artwork of the two.
Looks crisper and more detailed.
Without seeing the original it's impossible to know if it's been re-coloured or touched up though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 28 August, 2017, 10:20:49 AM
Without seeing the original it's impossible to know if it's been re-coloured or touched up though.

Purely much, much better repro.
@jamesfeistdraws

Woolly

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 August, 2017, 11:00:24 AM

I dunno, there are brush strokes, highlights and shading just not present in the original print.
The brush work and colour on Ukko's hat, the scratches of fur on his shoulder, the shading around his eye... definitely looks like more work has gone on to me.

karlos

Blimey, the difference is staggering!

Anyone got access to the original prog to see what it looked in there?

Mute77

The 2011 rebellion harback edition looks the same as the hachette edition. Ill try and dig out the original prog later..

Magnetica

Quote from: Woolly on 28 August, 2017, 12:10:32 PM

I dunno, there are brush strokes, highlights and shading just not present in the original print.
The brush work and colour on Ukko's hat, the scratches of fur on his shoulder, the shading around his eye... definitely looks like more work has gone on to me.

All of those are present in the 1991 Fleetway edition apart from the light bit above Ukko's head. But that might just be how the photo was taken - Woolly can you confirm?

Woolly

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 August, 2017, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 28 August, 2017, 12:10:32 PM

All of those are present in the 1991 Fleetway edition apart from the light bit above Ukko's head. But that might just be how the photo was taken - Woolly can you confirm?

Yes, that light bit is down to my crappy photo.

Pete Wells

The first two are in, I'm looking forward to watching these shelves fill up! I think I might have one of my Mongrols protecting the ABC Warriors section of the collection 😊

Davgardo

Lovely looking thing and it's great re-reading The Horned God again after all these years - just as good as i remembered.
My only gripe is in the text piece where he seems to have forgotten about Time Killer and attributes the Slaine the King artwork to Fabry and Pugh. Only a very minor thing obv but it irritates me when basic errors make it through like that.