Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Got mine now :)
Fussy but the artwork on the mug is different to the ads.
Looking at my rebellion horned god, the hachette is a cm smaller, noticable immediately i thought.
The overall quality is great, and for me this an alternative to collecting the progs or graphic novels, so good value overall.
I think i'll review after the free gifts are exhausted but right now i'm in for the 80

Colin YNWA

What the chuff are we talking about the comics about here when we have shelvery like that.

Those Sir Wells are a thing of almost infinite beauty. Is there anymore you could whip out for us all to oggle at?

Dandontdare

Now that's a dangerous invitation  :o

Pete Wells

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2017, 04:45:18 PM
What the chuff are we talking about the comics about here when we have shelvery like that.

Those Sir Wells are a thing of almost infinite beauty. Is there anymore you could whip out for us all to oggle at?

Just for you Colin, my Child Cave!

Mrs Pete hates this room  :D

bernardsfingers

I've just registered on here after subscribing to the Ultimate Collection. Having received the first package I'm happy with the quality of the books, although I'm not the biggest fan of The Horned God as it kinda reminds me of the period when I feel out of love with 2000ad having read it since around prog 400. Wasn't really fussed with the move to colour as the printing never seemed good enough to stop everything looking like a splodgey brown mess & think I preferred the B&W stuff printed on cheap paper. As it became more expensive & they started expanding into other magazines like Crisis & the Dredd Megazine I think I  got fed up & stopped buying it. Anyway it would have been good to have got the Judge Dredd collection but I completely missed it. I found someone selling bundles of 10 issues of the Mega Collection for £25 so bought a couple of those & might pick up more issues when I work out what's in which issue. The 2000ad collection seems more appealing as the scope of it is vast & it's going to cover a lot of stuff I missed & collect lots of stuff I've not read for a good while.
Quote from: jannerboyuk on 29 August, 2017, 12:23:55 PM
Got mine now :)
Fussy but the artwork on the mug is different to the ads.
Looking at my rebellion horned god, the hachette is a cm smaller, noticable immediately i thought.
The overall quality is great, and for me this an alternative to collecting the progs or graphic novels, so good value overall.
I think i'll review after the free gifts are exhausted but right now i'm in for the 80
I thought the mug was pretty poorly printed, half of Dredd's badge was missing & there were other bits of the image missing - not sure if they're all like that or it was just mine. At least it was a half decent size!

Paul Moore

Forbidden Planet in Glasgow sells the Hatchette Dredd mega collection (along with the marvel stuff too) as single collections, it might be worth checking your local comic shops, if you missed them
My Twitter account
@pmoore121
https://twitter.com/PMoore121
My Instagram site
https://www.instagram.com/paulmoore121/

Dark Jimbo

...Just go on the Hachette website, all the back issues are available there.

As for content, Wikipedia has it covered.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

where can i get shelving like that?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 August, 2017, 06:47:44 PM

Nice one Pete as wonderful as its owner. Stunning stuff!

bernardsfingers

Quote from: Paul Moore on 29 August, 2017, 07:24:24 PM
Forbidden Planet in Glasgow sells the Hatchette Dredd mega collection (along with the marvel stuff too) as single collections, it might be worth checking your local comic shops, if you missed them
I think I'm going to try & add to the Judge Dredd collection on the cheap rather than buying them at full price.

For anyone interested, the JDMC bundles I bought were from eBay (example here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322586278155) & seem pretty cheap (although listing says minor cover damage, which doesn't really bother me).

I see someone is selling JDMC issues 1-41 on Gumtree for £100 which seems like a bargain for someone, although it's no good for me as I'm nowhere near the seller.

I'll look in the local FP for particular issues later on when I've worked out what ones I actually want so cheers for the recommendation.

Swerty

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 August, 2017, 06:47:44 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2017, 04:45:18 PM

Mrs Pete hates this room  :D

You are a fan aren't you.

Pete Wells

Quote from: The Monarch on 29 August, 2017, 08:21:55 PM
where can i get shelving like that?

The shelf is from IKEA and is called KALLAX (which sound like the baddie from a future shock!) Someone on the Facebook Dredd Mega Collection recommended them as they fit the whole spine image rather nicely!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: bernardsfingers on 29 August, 2017, 10:13:53 PMI see someone is selling JDMC issues 1-41 on Gumtree for £100 which seems like a bargain for someone, although it's no good for me as I'm nowhere near the seller.
I'm baffled by people who require local pick-up. Almost everyone lives near a DPD drop-off. A courier takes five minutes to sort. Add another tenner for the hassle of dropping the box off, and you have the chance to sell to the entire UK, rather than the people who can be bothered to drive to your house (which, frankly, I'm not keen on people doing anyway when I sell stuff).

Quote from: Pete Wells on 30 August, 2017, 07:58:56 AMThe shelf is from IKEA and is called KALLAX (which sound like the baddie from a future shock!) Someone on the Facebook Dredd Mega Collection recommended them as they fit the whole spine image rather nicely!
Kallax is good, reasonably modular, and comes in various sizes. If you're near an Ikea, also take a look at the Billy line. Assuming the default shelving height is the same on the new line, it's almost an exact fit for the partwork books in the four central shelves. The top and bottom ones are larger, so you can use them for other stuff (outsized books, hiding kittens, etc.)

As for the new collection, I'm mildly annoyed that the first delivery inevitably got me a damaged book, and Hachette online merrily stated they protect books with plastic wrap. Because plastic wrap is known to protect books in transit! I'm not sure I can be arsed to send it back though, since the damage is minor compared to the state some of my Dredd books have shown up in. Other than that, they look good. The mug is a bit rubbish though. (As noted, the print is terrible, and you'd think they'd at least have whacked a logo on there. Not so much no expense spared as no expense.)

Magnetica

So having said I wasn't going to buy the first issue as I already have the original Fleetway editions of The Horned God ( as well as the Progs), I then listened to the Thrillcast with Pat and Simon Bisley. One of them said the reproduction in the Hachette book was the best ever. And given it was only two quid, I bought it, from Forbidden Planet in Shaftesbury Av. In doing so I also got the print of (the left hand side) of the spine art.

So is the Hachette reproduction better than the Fleetway one? Hmmm....yes and no. The colours are slightly richer to me eye. But only slightly. The line work looks the same. But the Fleetway editions are bigger. The first one is matte the others gloss - I never understood why there was a difference.

So at two quid you can't go wrong and now I can feel the pull of issue 2, given it is Halo Jones. So I guess selling the first couple cheap as a lead in works...

Something Fishy

This looks good.  are there any major chains or stores stocking these?  My local newsagent still holds the prog and meg but doesn't have this.  I'd rather pick and choose than sub ideally.